• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

NJ Drivers Guide to Newark Airport (EWR)

NJDriver

Hello everyone!

I am tired of seeing false, fictional and/or overplayed drama at Newark Airport. I know for a fact many of these stories told on here are simply not true or dont happen all the time. Many people come on here and claim they have been ticketed and attacked by the police frequently. Let me tell you. If this is happening to you maybe you are doing something wrong to attract the police to you. Ive dropped off and picked up at Newark Airport hundreds of times. One time I made 7 drops in an 8 hour timeframe. I have only gotten one ticket at the airport despite all those drops and pickups and thats because I was stupid. I dropped someone off in front of a blue and white. Just wasnt paying attention. In any event, Uber ponied up and paid the ticket.

First, the basics on the Port Authority Police. The police do not want to ticket you. They did not sign on to the police to hassle drivers just trying to make a buck. However, they have supervisors who watch them closely and they have to do their job. Those supervisors are mainly there in the day time so this means at night between 9pm and 7am you will see few cops at the terminals After 7am, the cops come in strength in the blue&whites and with the high vis vests. They are very easy to spot and will give you a warning before they ticket you. That "warning" will come in the form of their presence. They will not hide behind the garbage can. They will stand right out in the street or pull right up in the blue&white. When you see them present themselves, you need to leave. Do not try to debate with them or wait until they make contact. Leave when they are present. The first rule, the very first rule is to keep your eyes open for the police and to get into trolling mode when they are present.

There are two basic modes you want to be in at the airport:

First mode- Trolling - Set your cruise control to 30 mph and troll around the circle. This should only be done when there is no other way to hang by the terminal. Keep in mind, this is not a large airport and it does not take much time to circle the airport. Dont be afraid to circle the airport. On cruise control at 30 mph, you are not going to expend that much gas.

Second mode- Terminal - You need to be in the terminal to get that ping. In the night time when the port authority police is not there or is only there sparingly you can literally hang out in Terminal C and pitch a tent. In the daytime that changes and I have seen as many as 5 hi-vis police and 2 blue&whites covering that terminal. So how do you hang out in Terminal C when they are present? Easy. There is a bridge right before you get to Terminal C. You hang out under that bridge in front of the other waiting cars (out of view of the hi-viz). Make sure to be the very first car in front of the others under that bridge so you get the ping first AND when that blue&white SUV pulls up there will be ample warning for you to get moving. That SUV WILL pull up. Its not a matter of if, but when it shows up so keep you eye in the rear view. The hi-viz police will usually hang out in one part of Terminal C. I suggest going to the opposite part of the terminal which is usually the end and hang there. The police need to walk to you in order to shoo you away. So keep your eye on the mirror. As soon as they start approaching time to get into trolling mode around the circle.

So how do you pick up the passenger in front of the police? You do your best not to in the first place. However, if you really have to do it I suggest the following. Troll up with all the windows down smiling. Hide the phone, dont put it up on the windshield. When you get your passenger, jump out and shake their hand. Make it seem like you are buddies and you are glad to see them. Work quickly and bolt.

Always call the passenger as soon as you get the ping and figure out EXACTLY where they are at. You want them to get to your car as quickly as possible. Go to CVS and buy a hi-viz piece of paperboard for $2. Cut it into a holdable square. Get out of your car at the terminal and wave the square. Get them in that vehicle as soon as possible and do not pull into the terminal until you know exactly where they are. They are the ones on the cellphone holding up their hand. Learn to look.

So what do you do if the cops get you? Admit the truth, dont debate the issue and be as friendly as possible. Usually they let you off with a warning or write a ticket for something dumb like obscure license plates. However, the moment you present a problem...any resistance or debate...is when they will issue you the full line of tickets. They might even impound your car or search it. Keep in mind on airport property they can search any vehicle so absolutely make sure you do not have any contraband in there. Maybe you might have that small bat for self defense. Dont bring it, leave it at home. In any event, Uber will pay for the tickets as long as its their fault and not yours. Meaning that speeding ticket you get around the circle they will not pay for.

When do flights come in? They come in all the time, every hour or sooner. Every moment of the day is a good time to be at the airport.

Now I just did a run in the morning. I started at 3am and hung out at a 7-11 in Bergen County. Got 2 unrelated pings and finally 1 related ping which was my ticket to Newark. After drop off I hung out in Terminal C and got a ping to Jersey City. I went back to the airport and it was after 7am. Cops everywhere. I hung out at the end of Terminal C eyeballing the hi-viz at the other end of the Terminal in my mirror. I saw him turn around and start walking. I immediately hit the circle. I then went under the bridge just out of his eyesight with 5 other cars. The Blue&White SUV pulled up and I took off just as quick. Trolled the circle for a few minutes and finally got back to Terminal C where I hung out under the bridge. Got the ping. Two hi-viz cops were trolling, but I had the customer hold his hand up while I was at the stop light. I swung in, picked him up and left just as quick. It wasnt that hard.

Now if you are scared of the police, you cant seem to deal with them and dont know what they are about. You need to rethink. Driving is all about dealing with the police. There is no way you can put 50,000 miles on a vehicle in a year and not get pulled over. You need to know your game with the police. Ive been pulled over 18 times in my lifetime and by now I have my game down. Ive been to traffic court multiple times. I know what the police can and cannot do and how to act with them. Take a moment and sit down. Do your research and think especially if you are not comfortable with this.

There is a 7-11 and a gas station right on the airport property. You can get your car fixed at the gas station 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if something minor goes wrong. There is a cellphone lot. However, these are wastes of time. Do not hang in these areas. They will not make you money. Only go there when you want to take a break or really need gas. Its not hard to find these. Just troll around the circle and you will eventually find it.

Finally, Terminal C...United...is where the pot of gold is at. There might be pickups at Terminal A and Terminal B, but Terminal C is where the most business goes down and its that United flight. Base yourself around Terminal C.

Here is my ticket from just this morning. I now need to tend to my dayjob, but just think what I could make if I sat at that airport all day long. What does it take you to make $180 NET with Uber in NJ? I know it takes a BUNCH of Hoboken runs to make that. I mean like ALL DAY long in Hoboken. At the airport, it just takes a few to make that much.

Last edited:

NJDriver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I forgot. Its good when the PA cops are shooing people out of Terminal C. I just wait under the bridge and get the ping. Im on the phone with the passenger making sure they are curbside. Swoop in and another easy 90 dollar ride for me.

Sometimes the cops help you out:smiles:

pickmeup

Great guide! Thank you much for this!! You seem to know the ins an outs. to hide in plain site, do you need to drive a Honda or Toyata? Pleas let me kno as I am looking for new car

Alex12

Thank you fir all The INFO. Yes I am sure to that some stories here are not true. Are just lies posted by Uber haters who just can t get it that the times haved changed. Is still good the idea about waiting for ping/pax in the terminal and then walk together to the short term parking? I don t mind spending money to make my life less stressful. If I make 200 a day and I spend 20 for parking is fine with me. I just don t want to do this cat and mouse game that you are enjoying so much. Are pax willing to go with the driver to the car? I will dress properly for that( I usually wear casual). Again if a new Uber driver read this. I have 4500 rides and I drop hundred of times at EWR. Never had a problem. Just act normal. Drop of and get out of there. I pick up and drop of in Hoboken maybe over 1k times and never had a issue. Don t belive all stories but just be extra careful when Ubering in these two and only places that are somehow with issues in all north jersey. NOBODY WILL BOTHER YOU IN THE REST OF NORTH JERSEY. TRUST ME. Uber on my friends!!

NJDriver

I am not worried about the police at all. Ive spent a lot of time being pulled over and know how to manage that. For example, I was actually stopped by the Port Authority police tonight. What happened was I went through a plate reader at the airport and they couldnt match my plates with their system. I had all the paperwork to my vehicle. I had my plates changed to these Law Enforcement memorial plates thinking that might help me if it shows I donated to their cause. The plates hadnt come in the mail yet and so I was in the middle of the switchover. No ticket issued, half hour spent on the side of the road, but it came out well. I wasnt scared because I knew my paperwork was in order and Ill just add another notch to my belt of pullovers. The funny part was how rude this guy was to me. He never told me why he pulled me over and I sat there staring out of the windshield while 3 cops milled around. Finally when he was done, he just handed it back to me. He never asked me why I was at the airport or showed any concern for my situation. What if I was picking up a family member there. He wasnt concerned and didnt care. Classic rude NJ police officer. When an officer hands you back your stuff, states he is not issuing a summons and you can leave its not time for questions. Its time to leave.

However, I am scared...petrified...of running out of cash. So that extra few hundred dollars I can wrangle out of this each week is very important to me and Ill take the risk of getting pulled over. I dont really care. If you make 200 dollars extra a week, thats over 10 grand at the end of the year and believe me I need it. I think if you are driving for Uber you probably need it too.

So today was a bad day at the airport. I was there in the early morning when there was no cops and was there later in the evening when there was a mountain of cops. There were 4 hi-viz cops at each Terminal tonight along with roving patrols. In fact, at Terminal A there was an overweight woman in plain clothes wearing a badge and chasing vehicles around. Sadly, there was no pings. I circled the airport along with my buddy who also circled the airport. We went through terminals and not a ping. It did look like people were arriving, but have no idea how they got back. In any event, if I did get a ping Im not sure how I could pick them up with the wall of police. They were certainly looking and sweeping the terminal. I wondered to myself just how long can the Port Authority bring on this many police without busting the budget. This must be expensive to have this many cops on all at once. I say about a week or two before this burns off and goes back to normal.

Which gets me to my next point. The early morning from 4am to 7am is an ideal time to pickup at Newark. No cops and plenty of red-eye flights coming in. To make $221.52 in Hoboken, you would really need to work your ass off 8-10 hours straight without a break. However, all you need is a few good airport runs to make that at Newark.

Here is my proof:

While hanging out at the 7-11 in unmarked parking spots, a Port Authority cruiser pulls up and tells us we have to get into marked spots. Haha. These guys are even bothering us at the 7-11. No joke.

We meet a guy who operates an NYC TLC Suburban. It looked to be a few years old and in need of a good wax job. He showed us his app as we were curious just how much he made. What we saw was stunning. After Ubers cut, he was regularly making $2600 per week working 10 hour days. Keep in mind. He didnt have the fancier 2015 Suburban, but what looked like to be the older model possible 2011-2012. This is the first time I was able to confirm just how much these guys made wondering around NYC in the Suburban. He said he hangs out mainly in the meat-packing district.

After seeing what can be made in the Suburban...Im seriously considering just that....

Last edited:

NJDriver

About Newark Airport...there is no way the Port Authority can maintain that level of enforcement on an extended basis. I told my buddy to wait about a week or two and come back. Also, it doesnt seem like they are keeping up the dragnet 24 hours. From 3am to 7am it seems like there are no cops, but there are flights coming in at that time.

Uber10

I wondered to myself just how long can the Port Authority bring on this many police without busting the budget. This must be expensive to have this many cops on all at once. I say about a week or two before this burns off and goes back to normal.
You must don't know about the many Officers inside of the Terminals, I was once chilling in terminal B 1st level in the morning and literally seen about 15-20 cops reporting to duty just in Terminal B.
Plus I picked up an Employee from Terminal C once, and He told me himself there are a shitload of Cops inside the Terminals.

So maybe they are just using the Manpower they already Have.

NJDriver

They need that manpower in the terminals and around the airport to protect it. If their focus is constantly on Uber drivers outside that leaves parts of the airport unprotected. How long can they leave parts of the airport unprotected or unwatched?

Uber10

They need that manpower in the terminals and around the airport to protect it. If their focus is constantly on Uber drivers outside that leaves parts of the airport unprotected. How long can they leave parts of the airport unprotected or unwatched?
Unpredictable
Rotation Times!

NJDriver

Its certainly a big laugh to me. These guys get paid to protect the airport and they are a joke going around handing out traffic violations meanwhile letting the bad guys slip by. If 5 guys with assault rifles mounted an attack on the airport I kind of wonder what they would do. Its quite obvious they are not at all prepared to protect the airport.

Tony from New Jersey

Its certainly a big laugh to me. These guys get paid to protect the airport and they are a joke going around handing out traffic violations meanwhile letting the bad guys slip by. If 5 guys with assault rifles mounted an attack on the airport I kind of wonder what they would do. Its quite obvious they are not at all prepared to protect the airport.
Cops will give them violation tickets on the spot, haha.

NJDriver

Last night I was stopped by the Port Authority police for a half hour. What happened is the PA police have built in plate readers in their vehicles and my plate flagged. It was a misunderstanding. I ordered the LE Memorial plates:
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/LawEnforcement.htm

When the NJ DMV mails out the new plates, they invalidate the old plates. They did send me a letter stating to keep that with the vehicle to show law enforcement officers but I forgot to take it with me. So their computers did not have my plate in the system.

So let me tell you the way I handled the officer. First, I lower all of the windows in the vehicle as all of mine are tinted. Second, I turn the interior lights on and keep them on throughout the entire interaction so they dont have to shine lights into the vehicle to see whats inside. Third, I have all the vehicle paperwork all lined up and hand it to him before he asks. Fourth, when I address him I smile and look him in the eye. Short, courteous honest answers. I let the officer ask the questions, but I do not ask questions nor do I offer up any information in the first place. I stay silent and only speak when spoken to. Fifth, I turn off the car and leave my hands on the wheel the entire time looking forward and not turning to see what the cops were doing. For that entire half hour I sat there like a statue with my hands on the wheel. Its to note I keep no contraband in the car and go through before, during and after making sure no one left any behind.

So if you handle your business with the cops just like that from the start you will do fine. If they have to ask for documents or shine their flashlight into the vehicle you are already on the wrong track. You should be up front, honest and show them you have nothing to hide. They reward good behavior. In this case, I was told to go right home and head to the DMV in the morning. I thanked him and left the airport immediately not looking back. I didnt ask any further questions. When the police hand your license back and say good night, its time to leave. Its NOT time to question the officer. Just leave. Business is done. Dont just leave, leave the area entirely and go home.

Now lets say I went down the "wrong track". They could have arrested me and impounded my vehicle until it could be cleared up by the DMV in the morning. They could have given me a summons for having invalid plates on the vehicle. The NJ cops are very creative. If you handle it the wrong way with them, they will get creative so its best to handle it the right way every time without deviation. The local judge, prosecutor and their supervisor or their Chief will ALWAYS back their officer up except in extreme situations caught on video.

Last edited:

Geeanywhere

I am curious how everyone is banking with $90 per ride? Any tips? PS every night I have driven to Newark, I have never had any issues.

NJDriver

Oh no, there were certainly a lot of issues the other night. The police had that airport absolutely LOCKED DOWN. 5 aggressive cops to each terminal and lots of roving patrols. I even got pulled over and detained for 30 minutes because of my plates not going through their automated reader well. In fact, we were hanging out at the 7-11 when a cop out of nowhere pulled in to tell us we had to park in a real parking space. Huh? We were at a gas station not out on airport property. They were even eye-balling us at the gas station and I do think its privately owned. I saw a guy ticketed for no standing and the police gave them no warning. He carried a huge ticket book and it looked like he had filled out a lot of those tickets. It would have been hard to make a pickup. I was determined and wanted to see for myself thus why I was there. After getting detained for 30 minutes by the police I left.

However, the key to know is its impossible for them to maintain that drag-net 24 hours a day. So I did some research. From 12am to 2am there were 14 flights that came in, 7 were United meaning "Terminal C". From 2am to 4am there were 7 flights which came in 2 were United. From 4-6 15 flights and 5 were United. From 6 to 7 there were 10 flights which came in and 5 were United. So 46 flights, 19 were United Terminal C. Three Terminals. 41% of the activity is out of Terminal C and the other activity divided between the other two terminals. At any given time there are multiple Uber cars at Newark and a lot of them are very brave finding their way close to the terminal.

One ride from Newark to Hoboken will get you about $39 after Uber takes their share. A ride to MidTown NY or Bergen County double that. I can tell you what you will make in Hoboken during a shift. You will get about 10-15 short fares in Hoboken and 5-10 larger fares totaling about $200 over a 12-16 hour period when all is said and done. My point being is that its totally worth it to wait an hour or so at the airport for one fare. At least you could start out there and try to end up in Hoboken getting the smaller fares. I was thinking starting out at the airport around 2am and trying to end up back in Hoboken or Bergen County around 4-5am to grab a fare to the airport. The dragnet would commence at 7am from what I could see.

Last edited:

NJDriver

Oh another strategy is to park on departures (upper level) in Terminal C. Although you are not actually at the arrivals level, you are the closest. The police were not bothering anyone on the departures level. All of the police activity seemed to be centered on the arrivals level.

If you get a ping on the departures level simply drive around the circle. Get on the phone with the passenger. If you dont have a blue tooth or speakerphone, get one. You dont want to be caught with that phone to your head while driving. My Toyota has an awesome built in speaker phone making it easy.

Let me be crystal clear on one matter. The patrol cars at the airport have very sophisticated plate readers as I personally found out. Make sure your paperwork is straight with the NJ DMV. Make sure there is absolutely no issues with yourself and driving license. The reason is the Port Authority police will spot it on their computers quickly. Uber is pretty good at detecting issues, but sometimes things slip by. Do not enter that airport if there are issues with your vehicle or your license or there is something you know which might be an issue.

Last edited:

NJDriver

Here is an airport breakdown summary. I tend to ramble a lot:

1) Dont enter the airport unless everything is straight and all paperwork good on your vehicle. Police have plate readers.

2) 12am to 7am is the time of least enforcement activity.

3) Hang by the terminals in the arrivals area, but if you see one police or patrol car leave the area immediately. The alternate stand by location is the departures level which may have no police activity. Keep one eye forward and the other in the rearview mirror. This is work time and you need to be alert.

4) At Terminal C, there is a bridge right before the terminal where cars hang out. You want to be in the middle of the pack. The moment you see police drive off asap. Dont wait for them to contact you. See them, leave. There is a fire hydrant at the end of Terminal C. This is another key area to hang out. It offers you a good escape and the police tend to hang out in the middle or the other end. Remember, if the cop gets to you hey might write you a 50 dollar no standing ticket as a present for your hard work. Dont let them get to you.

5) Dont be afraid to circle around putting it on cruise control at 30 mph. You wont use much gas

6) If you get stopped, be as civilized as possible with paperwork ready to hand the officer. Be courteous and smile. Roll down all the windows and put on the interior lights. If you are nice enough, they may just give you a small ticket or let off with a warning. Short courteous honest responses. Only speak when spoken to. Again, make sure your vehicle and paperwork in order. No contraband. If it seems a bit questionable, dont have it in the vehicle at all.

7) For Terminal A, there is another hang out spot right behind the terminal by the 7-11/gas station. People tend to group there and the police dont bother them. This is a good place to get pings.

8) Beware of undercover cops. I saw an undercover female officer with butch haircut and big body. Not big and beautiful but big and ugly. She wore the badge right around her neck and she seemed to have a nasty attitude.

9) Remember one fare can net you over 100 dollars so it might be worth it to wait. Average fare seems like 40 dollars net to Hoboken and double that to a place like Bergen County. Over 100 to midtown Manhattan.

NJDriver

The early mornings before 7am seem to be very successful. First, lots of redeye flights from Uber friendly areas such as India and California coming in each day in Terminal C. I know that Indians tend to have that hot smell which doesnt go away easy but its cash and this is a job. Second cops tend to be light late at night or early in the morning. This morning I took out two loads and made $150 after Ubers cut.

The rest of the day and evening is hit or miss and sometimes the cops lock the terminals down making it impossible to do business. That super early morning from 5am to 7am is the golden time.

Look at flightstats.com to see precisely when the first flights are in the morning. You want to be there in front of the terminal.

My current strategy is to get to the airport 10 minutes after the first flight lands. Do as many pickups as possible before 7am. After 7am I go to Hoboken and drive from there.