• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Nissan Leaf sales collapse in Ontario after incentive axed

MUGATS

Considering Premier Dug is actually ripping out existing charging stations at Go Stations (yeah... the ones that are already paid for)

He’s doing his best to grind progress to a halt.

racer26

WHOA. Link?
I don't have a link offhand, but I read an article about it last night. They're claiming the stations are used on average 0.8 times per day (to which I say well duh, an EV parks there, and goes to work in Toronto, and comes back in the evening having blocked the charger all day).

They're also claiming the annual revenue is like $450/stn and costs over $2k.

I don't see how thats possible, and its probably some hairbrained spin on the math - it doesn't make sense to *remove* chargers already there. Deactivate them if you want, I guess, but there's no way the station is using 2k in hydro to generate 450 in revenue.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/metrolinx-ev-charging-stations-1.4972890

It's really easy to blame Doug for everything, but it's only business sense to remove these stations that are taking up premium parking spots .
I know that the 2 charge points at my office hardly ever get used for their intended purposes
The should have installed 50 very low cost level 1 chargers (also known as 'block heaters plugs') in places like Winnipeg (because engine blocks freeze in the cold). They should have done this in the very back of the public lots (the least desirable places) to prevent regular car drivers from 'accidentally' parking in the charging spots.

racer26

Totally unsurprising though, that the non-Tesla EVs aren't selling without the rebate - they're uncompetitive against comparable gas cars on price and total cost of ownership.

I just bought a new car last night - and its a gas car, because the non-Tesla EV options are insufficient for my needs and substantially more expensive.

I would've bought another Tesla, but that's a long story of bank stupidity for another thread.

Well, I suppose a Volt would have met my needs, but I'm not going to give GM my money.

Gone_in_60_seconds

Totally unsurprising though, that the non-Tesla EVs aren't selling without the rebate - they're uncompetitive against comparable gas cars on price and total cost of ownership.

I just bought a new car last night - and its a gas car, because the non-Tesla EV options are insufficient for my needs and substantially more expensive.

I would've bought another Tesla, but that's a long story of bank stupidity for another thread.

Well, I suppose a Volt would have met my needs, but I'm not going to give GM my money.
They received enough of other people's money since being bailed out in 2010. LOL.

Santa

EVs with the price tag are waste of money if you are an average driver. They are also too tiny to fit in unless you are 5'5" and single.

Care like Nissan Leaf are a joke and money grab especially in todays market, which is flooded with midsize cars with great km/l and good price tag.

Gone_in_60_seconds

EVs with the price tag are waste of money if you are an average driver. They are also too tiny to fit in unless you are 5'5" and single.

Care like Nissan Leaf are a joke and money grab especially in todays market, which is flooded with midsize cars with great km/l and good price tag.
Agreed, when I drove a rental 2018 Nissan Versa SV compact, I was getting on average about 45 MPG. That's not too far from a Prius which give 55-60 mpg.

Last edited:

MUGATS

This is just short sighted. EVs are not going away. The numbers on the road will only increase.

We always complain about the lack of infrastructure as we grow as a country.

“Why didn’t they make that road 4 lanes when they built it”

“Why aren’t the railway tracks equipped to handle high speed rail? Why didn’t anyone think of that”

You could convince me that we may need to slow down the building of charging stations. Might be an argument to be made.

To rip out existing infrastructure for something that will only increase in the future? Pure idiocy.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Agreed, when I drove a rental 2018 Nissan Versa SV compact, I was getting on average about 45 MPG. That's not too far from a Prius which give 55-60 mpg.
The LEAF is a NISSAN VERSA, just fully-modified to take batteries instead of gas. LEAF/VERSA share about 50-60% the same parts.

I have real world numbers in terms of Total Cost of Ownership. Particularly when buying the vehicle used, it makes a tonne of sense.

Aso, the Leaf is SUPER ROOMY, I chuck lots of stuff into the back, including 2 full sized adults bicycles in the hatch without difficulty. Clearly you have no experience here. Please stop spreading ignorance.

I have a family of 4, two grown children. We have never been squeezed, even when adding a 5th person.

I will say this. North American's have gotten so used to HUGE VEHICLES, that they neglect the fact that most of the rest of the world has no issue with subcompacts, and all their activities are managable. People in Canada/USA merely THINK they need a SUV to go and get their grocery, or take their dog to the dogpark. SHEESH.