UberXL_DC_MD

I'm new to Uber, will be starting this weekend. As a driver, can I have someone in the passenger side in the front of the car as I go to pick up passengers or is that frowned upon?

Would it be better to just get a dash cam instead? This is for safety reasons? I'm in the DC_MD area.

Thanks

turbovator

I'm new to Uber, will be starting this weekend. As a driver, can I have someone in the passenger side in the front of the car as I go to pick up passengers or is that frowned upon?

Would it be better to just get a dash cam instead? This is for safety reasons? I'm in the DC_MD area.

Thanks
A paying rider can ride in the passenger seat but not a ride along friend. The paying rider is paying for the car not a seat and they most likely would make a complaint to Uber. What are you going to do if there are 4 passengers when you pull up?

Question #2 Dosen't your concern about having a ride along buddy or a dash cam raise a RED FLAG to you that maybe Uber driving isn't a smart decision in the first place?

Last edited:

UberXL_DC_MD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
you are right Turbovator. It was just something that came to mind as an after thought after reading all these crazy things happening to drivers, especially female drivers.

ReviTULize

Your biggest concern is insurance. If you get into an accident and your friend is injured, who will pay their medical expenses, etc...? Uber will not & if you try to make a claim on your personal policy, they will drop you(which is probably gonna happen anyway)

bart2puck

1. Driving with a friend is a bad idea. fraught with liabilities. Does nothing for you in a court case regarding any claims a rider makes.
2. Geico has commercial insurance that covers you when you drive for uber, i would highly consider it, yes it costs more, but its the cost of doing business, safely.
3. Dash cam is a great idea, i have one and in the event anything ever happens, i have proof.

some advice:

1. Dont chase surges, they will be gone by the time you get there.
2. find a hotspot you think will have a lot of requests and hang there. dont drive when you dont have to.
3. talk to customers that want to, dont talk when they dont (you will learn this quickly what they want)
4. track every mile you drive while ubering.
5. have fun.

turbovator

you are right Turbovator. It was just something that came to mind as an after thought after reading all these crazy things happening to drivers, especially female drivers.
Glad to see you're using your common sense. There are lots of risks to Uber driving other than your security. It's a minimum wage earning at best and when you weigh the gains against the risks, it's a no brainer in my mind.

turbovator

1. Driving with a friend is a bad idea. fraught with liabilities. Does nothing for you in a court case regarding any claims a rider makes.
2. Geico has commercial insurance that covers you when you drive for uber, i would highly consider it, yes it costs more, but its the cost of doing business, safely.
3. Dash cam is a great idea, i have one and in the event anything ever happens, i have proof.

some advice:

2. find a hotspot you think will have a lot of requests and hang there. dont drive when you dont have to.
3. talk to customers that want to, dont talk when they dont (you will learn this quickly what they want)
5. have fun.

some advice:

5. have fun.
Yup, bart2puck You have a firm grasp of the reality of life. That dash cam would definetly be a deterrent from some hopped up druggie, drunk or sociopath from putting a bullet in your head or a knife in your back or using your head for batting practice with a bat. Do you really think if they assaulted or killed you they are going to leave your dash cam behind? DUH

bart2puck

nope. but when a girl says i raped her in the backseat and the camera shows that i drove around the whole time, she got out of the car, and i moved on, i would be much more comfortable.

waker81

aside from all the other comments, especially question #2 from turbovator, having a friend tag along would reduce your capacity to max 3 people in UberX which is a violation of the Agreement you didn't read and accepted without opting out of the arbitration clause leaving you out in the cold when the class action lawsuits on the behalf of drivers start getting paid out soon. how's that for a run-on sentence.

turbovator

nope. but when a girl says i raped her in the backseat and the camera shows that i drove around the whole time, she got out of the car, and i moved on, i would be much more comfortable.
Most people of normal intelligence that had concerns like that rolling around in thier head would come to the conclusion that the risks of Uber far out weigh the minimum wage rewards. UBER ON'

bart2puck

In reality, the chances of any of these things happen is extremely small. But in that rare case it does, I have some semblence of proof I did nothing wrong. So yes I have weighed the risks and determined it to be low enough to drive.