• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

newbie with a question

juanhtx

Joined to follow the amazon flex thread but i am thinking about joining uber. i see outside of houston you can still drive for uber i drive a very clean 2007 gmc acadia and on signup from uber i do not meet the requirements. Question is was i miss informed about the year cut off or is there another way to sign up?

Cou-ber

It is because in less than 30 days your car will be too old as per the TNC vehicle requirements. See below.
image.png

Cou-ber

However, you can still drive as long as you never ever pick up from the COH limits. So, if you've genuinely read this forum and despite the overwhelmingly convincing evidence to not drive for Uber, still feel compelled to, go to or call the Houston office and find out how to get around the internet application block. But have you truly investigated this forum?

juanhtx

Im right at 90 k on an 07 i have a fulltime job so this would not be a main source of income for me. i live in pasadena closer to 225 and the beltway and wanted the option to earn a little when im off. I was under the assumption that the tnc cutoff was 2008 so i know coh was off limits for pickups but ive seen people on here a few people say they still get pings outside of coh

Trebor

For city of Houston, your car still has to have less than 150,000 miles when you first get the vehicle inspected. After your first inspection, only age is what matters.

Your car has to be less than 7 years old for the city of Houston.

In 2014, the cut off was 2007
In 2015, the cut of was 2008
In 2016, the cut off will be 2009

Uber allows you to drive an older vehicle outside city limits. Not sure about Uber Houston, but some markets allow you to drive cars that are up to 15 years old.

HomeWineGuy

Driving outside the city limits without a TNC license is a headache. There are locations in Spring and other outlying cities which are actually inside the Houston city limits, and you'll need to carry a copy of the city limit map to know when you are getting close to the edge. If you miss the mark and pick up a rider on the wrong side of the line, your account will be suspended, and you will be forced to get your TNC anyway in order to get it reactivated. Take it from someone who knows - you can't effectively drive for UBER in the Houston Metro area without a TNC.

FireHazard

Driving outside the city limits without a TNC license is a headache. There are locations in Spring and other outlying cities which are actually inside the Houston city limits, and you'll need to carry a copy of the city limit map to know when you are getting close to the edge. If you miss the mark and pick up a rider on the wrong side of the line, your account will be suspended, and you will be forced to get your TNC anyway in order to get it reactivated. Take it from someone who knows - you can't effectively drive for UBER in the Houston Metro area without a TNC.
This AND driving in Pasadena SUCKS! That's where I started before i had my TNC and man, it's SLOW! Also, Pasadena is so close to COH, you'll either starve and stay legal or you'll get a ride but cross over into no-no land.