• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Newbie question regarding trip distance

BizyMom

The city in which I work is just 'opening' to Uber. It is actually very small relative to most other Uber locations - a college town of roughly 30,000 permanent residents and another 30,000 people when the University is in session.

My daughter takes dance class in this city for 20 hours/week in four to six hour increments. She's too young to drive herself and we live too far away for it to make sense for me to drive home again while she's in class. So, I hope to use my otherwise 'wasted' waiting time to drive for Uber. It truly doesn't matter to me if I only get one passenger or none or several. But what I am worried about is making sure I'm done in time to get her when her class is over.

I'm worried because I don't get to know where my passenger wants to go before I pick him/her up. This college town is centrally located around several other smaller towns and also a bigger metropolis that is roughly 50 miles away. Is there a limit to how far I can be expected/required to drive, sight unseen? I'm trying to guess how soon I should go 'offline' prior to the competion of her dance class. I understand shorter trips are generally less desirable to most drivers, but I would welcome them. I'm honestly hoping to catch a lot of college kids who don't want to carry their walmart bags home from shopping or whatever. I won't be driving the 'drunk-surge' times.

Again, I realize I'm not going to make a mint, I'm just looking to do something a little productive during these time blocks.

Advice is very welcome!

Amsoil Uber Connect

Sounds to me that an hr b4 you head for home, call the pax and ask how far are they going. If its to far ask them to cancel. Do this right away so they don't get charged the $5 fee.

Over time, if you get repeat riders, you may not have to do that.

Uberest

What you are suggesting is extremely risky because you do not know where PAX will ask you to go. I suppose if you are in a rural-ish area and there are ZERO long mileage/time destination possibilities for PAX, then you will be fine if you get a ping. But .....if you want to guarantee being in X place at Y time, you have to go off line Z minutes before Y time, where Z is the maximum trip time you might have to take if you receive a ping (the time to pick up the pax, take them where they want to go, and return to X place no later than Y time).

BizyMom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you, these answers are helpful. The city (such as it is), is 'open' to Uber, as is the city 50 miles away with the nearest large airport. Nothing inbetween is, however, so I have no idea how those rules work. Also, I do not have the Commercial license required by the larger airport city, so I am assuming I would not be eligible to be 'offered' riders who indicate that is their destination?

Within the city proper, end to end is less than 20 minutes. Maybe 30 during our "rush hour" which is literally only an hour, if that. I can't find anything that tells me the rules about transporting someone outside city limits? Are there any?

Super girl

Thank you, these answers are helpful. The city (such as it is), is 'open' to Uber, as is the city 50 miles away with the nearest large airport. Nothing inbetween is, however, so I have no idea how those rules work. Also, I do not have the Commercial license required by the larger airport city, so I am assuming I would not be eligible to be 'offered' riders who indicate that is their destination?

Within the city proper, end to end is less than 20 minutes. Maybe 30 during our "rush hour" which is literally only an hour, if that. I can't find anything that tells me the rules about transporting someone outside city limits? Are there any?
Which city are you in makes a difference. In des moines we can also drive in ames. You will only get a trip within your city's outlined parameters. BUT they can ask you to take them anywhere. I've taken people 2 hours away from the pickup point before. You never know. ...

Fuzzyelvis

If both cities are in your area you will be offered anything. Uber doesn't care and even if it did many riders don't put in their destination. Just call immediately when you get a ping. If you can't legally drop off in the big city that's actually a perfect excuse.

Super girl

If both cities are in your area you will be offered anything. Uber doesn't care and even if it did many riders don't put in their destination. Just call immediately when you get a ping. If you can't legally drop off in the big city that's actually a perfect excuse.
Ames is far enough away that you have to be in there parameters to get a trip there is a thin line between ames and des moines thank goodness.