• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

newbie question about trade dress.

darkman100

So I understand that you are required to have 2 "U" on the car/ city emblem/ vehicle inspection in order to be able to pickup from airports. But do you have to display same thing when driving in city? What about suburbs? I would prefer driving without it if it's possible.

Transporter33

Just cureuse why don't u wanna keep on all the time?
So I understand that you are required to have 2 "U" on the car/ city emblem/ vehicle inspection in order to be able to pickup from airports. But do you have to display same thing when driving in city? What about suburbs? I would prefer driving without it if it's possible.
iu

pizza guy

Just cureuse why don't u wanna keep on all the time?

iu
It can make you a target, similar to a pizza sign. I put it up when I approach a riders location so they can find me then take it down between rides, unless I am in the city.
Carefully in the city, especially airports, the city is broke and not having proper signage is easy money for them

Transporter33

It can make you a target, similar to a pizza sign. I put it up when I approach a riders location so they can find me then take it down between rides, unless I am in the city.
Carefully in the city, especially airports, the city is broke and not having proper signage is easy money for them
I always keep it on now simply because it is pay in the ass to change it every time... We don't carry cash so most of those people know it ... But anyway u have point

UberBeemer

Keep it all handy. To be honest, I usually fly the flags whenever I'm in the city working Uber. You might get away with the "I was working in the suburbs and forgot to put it up after the last trip" routine, but you might run up against a cop that isn't compassionate.

That said, Most CPD away from the airports and convention centers don't bother you, from what I can tell though. I see a lot of people riding in the back seat of a car when the front passenger seat is clearly vacant. %99 of the time that's got to be a ride share.

75drive

I have it all in the glove box but I never display it! CPD could give a rats ass! That being said there's always one! Don't do stupid shit and you won't get stopped!

Body Politic

I've never put trade dress in the rear window yet, but a) I don't pick up at airports where you're much more likely to face enforcement action, and b) I haven't driven much since the new regulation went into effect anyway, maybe 30 rides or so.

Tenzo

Havent gotten squat from uber.

I looked up the U on the network, printed it out and scotch tape one to my front window.

pizza guy

Havent gotten squat from uber.

I looked up the U on the network, printed it out and scotch tape one to my front window.
I think that's what most people end up doing. Make sure you have the Chicago tax emblem if you're in the city.