Newbie here

NeneNickiNu64

Hey all,
I see there are post from newbies and here I am doing the same. Well, I do need a few tips/advice from you seasoned and not so seasoned drivers in the San Francisco area as well as surrounding cities in the Bay. I want to do a good portion of my driving in the City, I would love some advice on good locations to pick up fares just starting out as well as good locations to take breaks/rest/bathroom? I haven't been back that way in at least 2 years and that was going out with friends. I'd really appreciate any and all information supplied. Thank you all in advance and be safe.

yucklyftline

The forums not that old. Sort the posts in the San Francisco forum from the begininng, 2013-14, give it a good read through, takes about 2 weeks, and if you have any questions afterwards, let us know. That's what I did.

Lol, good luck to you and welcome to the forum. You should start your driving on 1st and Mission during rush hour, everyone's leaving work, your guaranteed a ride

NeneNickiNu64

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The forums not that old. Sort the posts in the San Francisco forum from the begininng, 2013-14, give it a good read through, takes about 2 weeks, and if you have any questions afterwards, let us know. That's what I did.

Lol, good luck to you and welcome to the forum. You should start your driving on 1st and Mission during rush hour, everyone's leaving work, your guaranteed a ride

Thanks for the tip on the Mission and the hours. Lol, I'll need that good luck. I looked through the titles of the SF forums, wasn't going to read the ones that didn't grab me attention. Didn't really see anything about other areas or rest/break locations. I did read about the Safeway by the water, or parking over there to rest, another one was "Groove" where drivers hang out or the Hilton for drivers somewhere south of SF and a rest stop North Bound 280, crystal springs stop. Those all sound out of the way, I could be wrong, but I was thinking and hoping for more of in town rest/break locals.

NASCAR1991

Pings come from everywhere.
If u chasing surge go there..app shows u.
I piss in a bottle. Save an hour piss in a bottle.
Avoid 15 miles with no surge rides plus.
Follow waze.
Dont let people tell you what to do.
If u not in a talking mood..go to app set it to "im deaf hard of hearing mode".
Dont have candies or water....that will end up on ur seat later.

NeneNickiNu64

Pings come from everywhere.
If u chasing surge go there..app shows u.
I piss in a bottle. Save an hour piss in a bottle.
Avoid 15 miles with no surge rides plus.
Follow waze.
Dont let people tell you what to do.
If u not in a talking mood..go to app set it to "im deaf hard of hearing mode".
Dont have candies or water....that will end up on ur seat later.

LOL!!, well pissin' in a bottle is not an option since I'm female. I'm not planning on chasing surges, just plan to be around certain hours and hope the timing is right for a surge, ie; commute hours, weekends, some possible club hours, but more on the side of before club/going to the club hours. Is waze an app? LMAO I holla'd about setting the app to "I'm deaf, hard of hearing" mode. Is that REALLY on there or are you bullshitin' me? I haven't started yet. Will get car next week and possibly hit the City that weekend. As for the water/candy thing, I'm still on the fence about that one. I did invest in an extra dual tip charging cord, a front/back dual car charger and a aux cord as well as the ph mount. If I decide, that may be later if at all.

NeneNickiNu64

Red Bull 3 for $7 at walgreens and then sleep at home
Good answer if I drank that kind of stuff. No coffee, energy drinks, they are a waste of $$. I have no trouble staying up, but I would like to take breaks, rest for lunch in my car and just wanted to know of good locals to do such things.

manuella

LOL!!, well pissin' in a bottle is not an option since I'm female. I'm not planning on chasing surges, just plan to be around certain hours and hope the timing is right for a surge, ie; commute hours, weekends, some possible club hours, but more on the side of before club/going to the club hours. Is waze an app? LMAO I holla'd about setting the app to "I'm deaf, hard of hearing" mode. Is that REALLY on there or are you bullshitin' me? I haven't started yet. Will get car next week and possibly hit the City that weekend. As for the water/candy thing, I'm still on the fence about that one. I did invest in an extra dual tip charging cord, a front/back dual car charger and a aux cord as well as the ph mount. If I decide, that may be later if at all.
Waze adds a tone headaches to driving , go with google maps and have waze ready for those "do you use wake ? " riders . Google maps is a blessing that's how good it is :smiles:

you will be okay ! you sound relaxed and chill usually don't stop at bus stops or intersection , they give tickets for blocking intersections down town, u turns don't fly either basically try not to end up with tickets or points

PS if you don't have an iPhone 6 or higher Google maps will lag now and then you need a newer phone preferably an iPhone , androids crush out no where which is no Bueno when you are driving.

manuella

Good answer if I drank that kind of stuff. No coffee, energy drinks, they are a waste of $$. I have no trouble staying up, but I would like to take breaks, rest for lunch in my car and just wanted to know of good locals to do such things.
The best gas station is on 19 / Lincoln the toilets seem to be clean all the time with no exception.

men can't get into the women's bathroom so i can't imagine how it looks like in there if the men's is that clean lol

The Starbucks on California n spruce is open 24 hours and the parking is plenty

Gibman73

My car is 2006, so I don't have to try to shoot for those power hour guarantees, but I do shoot for the pdb ride # payouts. You have to maintain 75% acceptance rates for this bonus and you'll need to wait for UBER to offer it to you, but there's no reason they wouldn't. As far as breaks and bathrooms, know your Safeways and Starbucks, Market & Church, Potrero & 16th, Fulton & 48th Avenue..., even if you're not a coffee drinker there are several 24/7 Starbucks around town that can be a bathroom stop essential. One caveat, with this being SF, be warned that when you need it most you'll likely see an out of order sign on the bathroom door. I also wouldn't try to bind yourself to the city as UBER will be trying to pull you out of it probably several times a day, it's just the nature of it and people especially downtown can be trying to get to all points Bay Area. When I'm trying to stay in the city I usually head for the residentials, the avenues, Noe Valley... If you let UBER roll you, you can and will literally end up anywhere. Also be prepared to hear next to nothing when you're doing an amazing and stellar job but as soon as you pass on a rider expect a notification, text, email or all 3 asking why you left money sitting on the table.

NeneNickiNu64

Waze adds a tone headaches to driving , go with google maps and have waze ready for those "do you use wake ? " riders . Google maps is a blessing that's how good it is :smiles:

you will be okay ! you sound relaxed and chill usually don't stop at bus stops or intersection , they give tickets for blocking intersections down town, u turns don't fly either basically try not to end up with tickets or points

PS if you don't have an iPhone 6 or higher Google maps will lag now and then you need a newer phone preferably an iPhone , androids crush out no where which is no Bueno when you are driving.

Thanks manuella. Yeah, I did actually check out waze and uploaded it JUST in case and it looks like it has a gas comparison feature, so at least that will help. I know gas out here in Sac is goin' up, I can imagine the price over there. Good lookin' out about the intersections and bus stops. Still lookin' for preferred rest/break areas if anyone knows of a few. Going to be doing this full time for a bit. My phone right now is the Galaxy S5, upgrade in Sept, so soon. Already use Google maps and YESSSSS it's wonderful. Used to use Mapquest and found myself in places OTHER than where I intended or the longest route there, horrible. I know SF is a hot spot for tickets and I seriously do plan on avoiding police contact by any means, lol.
And thank you, I feel confident about it, only apprehension is the best locals. Hell I still gotta figure out the best times and spots across the bridge, in my own home town, Oakland. Gonna work a few days there too. Work Sac when I don't feel like traveling long distance. So far, you all have been great with the different pieces of info, even if I can't piss in a bottle, LOL

NeneNickiNu64

My car is 2006, so I don't have to try to shoot for those power hour guarantees, but I do shoot for the pdb ride # payouts. You have to maintain 75% acceptance rates for this bonus and you'll need to wait for UBER to offer it to you, but there's no reason they wouldn't. As far as breaks and bathrooms, know your Safeways and Starbucks, Market & Church, Potrero & 16th, Fulton & 48th Avenue..., even if you're not a coffee drinker there are several 24/7 Starbucks around town that can be a bathroom stop essential. One caveat, with this being SF, be warned that when you need it most you'll likely see an out of order sign on the bathroom door. I also wouldn't try to bind yourself to the city as UBER will be trying to pull you out of it probably several times a day, it's just the nature of it and people especially downtown can be trying to get to all points Bay Area. When I'm trying to stay in the city I usually head for the residentials, the avenues, Noe Valley... If you let UBER roll you, you can and will literally end up anywhere. Also be prepared to hear next to nothing when you're doing an amazing and stellar job but as soon as you pass on a rider expect a notification, text, email or all 3 asking why you left money sitting on the table.

GREAT INFO!!! These are the pieces of info I really need. Keep em comin' peeps if you have any more. I am taking notes. Not sure of what pdb is yet, but since I won't be one out the gate, I won't stress on it yet. When you say Uber will try to "pull me out" you mean keep me on lock in Sac or out of the City to make runs in neighboring cities? If it's just neighboring cities, I won't mind....sometimes. If I'm not mistaken Gibman73, I see you are an Oaklander as well, any area tips for the Town? Gonna stay home several days a week as well. I can figure out the rest areas, after all, it's home. BUT with all the gentrification going on over there, who knows what's what any more. Been a bit since going back home too. Almost 2 yrs. Oh, I've heard, read, seen video about Uber and Lyft not acknowledging good work from drivers, but ready to holla back about a bad rating, not picking up/accepting fares, blah, blah, blah. Not too worried about it since I've already been warned. Maybe that's the "out of the way" you're referring to as well. I think I'll take my chances. Gonna do Lyft as well for a back up so-to-speak

nicolephlsfo

Honestly my typical night = drive until I have to pee so bad I can't think straight, google search "safeway near me open now" and that's where I go. It doesn't make much economic sense to drive 5 miles out of the way for a cleaner toilet. Most of the time the bathrooms are nasty/lack tp, some just being worse than others. I always pray it's not the safeway with the bathroom in the back of the warehouse that has 2 inches of urine at all times on the floor, but if you gotta go you gotta go.

NeneNickiNu64

Honestly my typical night = drive until I have to pee so bad I can't think straight, google search "safeway near me open now" and that's where I go. It doesn't make much economic sense to drive 5 miles out of the way for a cleaner toilet. Most of the time the bathrooms are nasty/lack tp, some just being worse than others. I always pray it's not the safeway with the bathroom in the back of the warehouse that has 2 inches of urine at all times on the floor, but if you gotta go you gotta go.

Naw, you're right, now rocket science. Gonna use that as my guiding force nicolephlsfo. I will put some personal wipes in the car and carry with me JUST in case when I do run into that problem. And yes!!!, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go. Can you give me any other locals to take breaks longer than a piss break, actually get out the car, stretch, get a bite to eat and if need be a power nap? If I got paid to sleep, I am totally and utterly serious, I would be a billionaire. I've been a "sleeper" since childhood. My mother NEVER had to tell me to take a nap. That was the highlight of my day, lol. So a good 20-30 nap and hit the streets again. Of course without the boyz in blue messin' with me or anyone else for that matter. Or at least not so much. I get there will be times that a nap/nap location will be not be available, but to know where a few possibilities are would be awesome.

NASCAR1991

Attachments

yucklyftline

Ps. I was being facetious. DO NOT GO TO 1st and Mission, battery/market unless you wanna spend 30 min getting to your pickup. Tip: have them walk to you (when streets are gridlocked)

NeneNickiNu64

Oh WOW!! well that sells me. I WILL be using that from time to time. I have my days just like anyone else that I just may not want to converse. But I can see it now, it will have a draw back. Then I'll get the ones that INSIST on holdin' that 10, 15 min. ride convo and yell the entire time, LOL I can see it now. BOOM, back fired, Lol!

Gibman73

Personally I UBER in the evening and weekend, and Oakland can be really difficult to find a restroom later in the evening so for me it's typically any gas station or the house in a pinch. Personally also, I've lived in Oakland for 13 years, but I'm not a native and had to have a good bit of gps help early on. I live in Fruitvale off of 880 and there were lots of parts of town I needed to familiarize myself with, mainly the 580 corridor, and highway 13. As far as hot spots Alameda can sometimes be really good, there are a lot of UBER users there. Before its late I find if I drive around the lake I get a request pretty much every time. I have only been doing this a couple months so I'm not a huge fountain of information but I'm learning and Telegraph Ave can be hot especially on weekends. Berkeley used to be easy pickins but it's slowed down for the summer.

NeneNickiNu64

Personally I UBER in the evening and weekend, and Oakland can be really difficult to find a restroom later in the evening so for me it's typically any gas station or the house in a pinch. Personally also, I've lived in Oakland for 13 years, but I'm not a native and had to have a good bit of gps help early on. I live in Fruitvale off of 880 and there were lots of parts of town I needed to familiarize myself with, mainly the 580 corridor, and highway 13. As far as hot spots Alameda can sometimes be really good, there are a lot of UBER users there. Before its late I find if I drive around the lake I get a request pretty much every time. I have only been doing this a couple months so I'm not a huge fountain of information but I'm learning and Telegraph Ave can be hot especially on weekends. Berkeley used to be easy pickins but it's slowed down for the summer.

Ok, ok. You've been there a good minute. Forgot about our sister island Alameda. And yes, the Town doesn't offer a whole lot of 24 hour spots even to this day I see. Never really was an "open 24 hr" city for the most part, hence folks flock to the City to get their 24 hr grind, groove on. Very familiar with the Fruitvale area. East Oakland used to be one of my stomping grounds even though I grew up most of my life off of Lakeshore. Up Longridge. Loved the area. You sound like me and what I plan to do. No "after the club" pickups if I can help it. Will check out the lake like headin' back to Sac, hopefully grab a fare or two. Do an Alameda several hrs when I do Oakland and Berkeley every blue moon or two. That was another stomping ground. MAN it sux not going home as often even though it's just up the highway, lol. I miss the Bay Area and all it's glory. Boresville here is Sac. Well it's nice to chat with another newbie as well as my seasoned drivers. The information is gonna help out tons. I know I've seen the seasoned drivers that started with Uber/Lyft didn't have it this easy since neither company gives you any real type of training. Thank you

NeneNickiNu64

Ps. I was being facetious. DO NOT GO TO 1st and Mission, battery/market unless you wanna spend 30 min getting to your pickup. Tip: have them walk to you (when streets are gridlocked)

Oh yuck, you are terrible, LOL!! But thanks for your honesty. I was headin' over that way eventually, lol. Will avoid it at all cost unless I'm totally desperate.