Newbie here - just a couple of thoughts

dlackey73

So, I started driving for Uber about 3 weeks ago and Lyft about a 1 week ago. It seems that I get paid more per trip with Lyft but getting those trips may mean I sit for 20 - 30 minutes with my Uber app off before I get a ping from Lyft. And there seem to be TOOOOOOONS of Lyft drivers when I look. What's up with that? Obviously, it's lift attemptign to gain market share from Uber but they're doing it at the expense of the drivers they have. I don't understand why they have so many drivers.

Also, Nocturnal Wonderland this weekend was a little weird to me. I took someone out there and then stuck around and got staged to take people out of there. I took two rides out and on the way back for my 3rd the line to get into staging was absolutely ridiculous. To the seasoned Uber drivers, is it really worth it to wait that long, maybe an hour or so to get a trip that's probably going to Rancho, Ontario, or SB? I didn't even look to see what the surge was at in the end, probably 3x? So an $8 trip becomes $24. I don't get it, and I realize that it's probably because I'm still new and that's why I'm asking. I want to understand the big picture here and would like some help painting that, please.

Thanks in advance.

~Dan

Amsoil Uber Connect

In your first paragraph,... That is just how it's been. However there has been more Lyft's over the last six months. And some are Ubers rejects, so don't be afraid to 3 star them of less. You do know that 3 staring a Lyft pax you will never get matched up with them again right ?

The other,

Most of the veterans know, you take people to an event. Never goto one for pick ups. Mostly cause of the cluster like going to a school when it lets out.

At least this time Uber moved the pick up lot to a grassy area so your out of the dust but watch out for that mud hole right in the middle, Nice. I did one drop there yesterday about 4pm. Took 10 minutes to get out of there as the cops let ubers drop lot fill completely up b4 they did.

My next trip, Lyft, was from a San Bern Hotel so I though I was going back, but no, went to Alhambra. Good I'm done for the day since I managed to clear 500 net for the week.

Oh and see, that is another pit fall, say you get a trip to ONT. more dead miles going back, and say it's even farther out ? are you going back ? To chase a surge that is not going to be there when you do ?

Last edited:

Amsoil Uber Connect

Here is another example. They are saying that a cap was put on the surge of 2.0 at Noc. At 2 am that is what it was, 2.0. Yet in DT Riverside the surge then, 2am was 4.4 a so experience has taught me let everyone do the events and I'll stay close to home. I don't do the bar hours but I have been watching how it surges here Saturday nights. Several do not know how to stay logged off to make it surge, so as a result many take non surge rides which prolongs the surge kicking in. However it usually starts about 1:30 am and starts to die off at 2:15 so you might get 2 maybe 3 trips tops but they will be short ones.

If you do work the bars hrs. Sat. night check out your local area to see how and where the surge starts. Now you may do a couple of non surges b4 that but after you do the drop sty logged off until you get back. Unless your the only one heading back there.

So there you have it, my Dimes worth.

tohunt4me

So, I started driving for Uber about 3 weeks ago and Lyft about a 1 week ago. It seems that I get paid more per trip with Lyft but getting those trips may mean I sit for 20 - 30 minutes with my Uber app off before I get a ping from Lyft. And there seem to be TOOOOOOONS of Lyft drivers when I look. What's up with that? Obviously, it's lift attemptign to gain market share from Uber but they're doing it at the expense of the drivers they have. I don't understand why they have so many drivers.

Also, Nocturnal Wonderland this weekend was a little weird to me. I took someone out there and then stuck around and got staged to take people out of there. I took two rides out and on the way back for my 3rd the line to get into staging was absolutely ridiculous. To the seasoned Uber drivers, is it really worth it to wait that long, maybe an hour or so to get a trip that's probably going to Rancho, Ontario, or SB? I didn't even look to see what the surge was at in the end, probably 3x? So an $8 trip becomes $24. I don't get it, and I realize that it's probably because I'm still new and that's why I'm asking. I want to understand the big picture here and would like some help painting that, please.

Thanks in advance.

~Dan
Time is money

Uber does not pay enough for your time or money.

WAITING DRAINS ANY CHANCE OF PROFIT YOU MAY HAVE HAD.

Enjoy driving your vehicle into scrap while subsidising Ubers bid at world Monopoly.

Last edited:

The UberNator

Welcome. It's all about strategy and driving smart. I've been doing Lyft and uber for over a year and a half now and I can definitely tell you things have changed. Fares are a bit cheaper and there are tons of drivers now. Surge is great because that's where the money is at. Sometimes instead of deadmiling to a place you can turn on the app and hope they go your way. You can text and ask them where they're going. I do it all the time. As far as the wonderland event, you gotta think smart, why go to a place where alllllll the drivers are going to be at. Instead of waiting at the uber lot for hours why not do a ride somewhere where there's bars. The bars close at 2am, wonderland is over at 2am but the traffic is a pain in the ass. Last night I went to an area I know surges very well. Got a 4.4x and 3.5x surge rides with no traffic, heck the guy even tipped me $20. The surge went as high as 7.1x but usually surge that high is rare to get a pax. Once I was done I was nearby wonderland and noticed it was 3.5x so ehhhh I decided to take a fare. Dropped them off hospitality Blvd and then went home. Now I'm going to enjoy my Sunday watching Narcos lol

Ubermom83

Welcome. It's all about strategy and driving smart. I've been doing Lyft and uber for over a year and a half now and I can definitely tell you things have changed. Fares are a bit cheaper and there are tons of drivers now. Surge is great because that's where the money is at. Sometimes instead of deadmiling to a place you can turn on the app and hope they go your way. You can text and ask them where they're going. I do it all the time. As far as the wonderland event, you gotta think smart, why go to a place where alllllll the drivers are going to be at. Instead of waiting at the uber lot for hours why not do a ride somewhere where there's bars. The bars close at 2am, wonderland is over at 2am but the traffic is a pain in the ass. Last night I went to an area I know surges very well. Got a 4.4x and 3.5x surge rides with no traffic, heck the guy even tipped me $20. The surge went as high as 7.1x but usually surge that high is rare to get a pax. Once I was done I was nearby wonderland and noticed it was 3.5x so ehhhh I decided to take a fare. Dropped them off hospitality Blvd and then went home. Now I'm going to enjoy my Sunday watching Narcos lol
I have been watching narcos all day addicted!!!

Stay away from festivals man. Unless you know the ins and outs. Last halloween when hard was at the fairplex it was extremely easy to get in and out. Thats not always the case. Try not to deadmile also. If you drive out of your area stay out there for a bit and do a couple rides to make up the for the drive home. As far as best places to make money goes youll have to figure that out on your own. Ive made the mistake of giving away the best spots and now those areas are conplete circuses. Uber on bro !

Allthehawgmaws

Festivals are nowhere near as good as they once were. Now it's just overhype by Uber, noobs not knowing better waiting an hour or more for a ride only to get a 2x surge.the problem with festivals is that's there is no work in between drop off and pick ups. For instance Nocturnal. Uber got out of towners to drive in for a 50k person event. After the drop offs the out of towners couldn't drive home so instead flooded the local area. Then got in line for the pick ups. Funny thing, I tried Nocturnal one night and thanks my riders were so happy they got a ride quick and surge was only 2.0. As a driver, it burned. So I dropped them off and headed home immediately. When it's good for Uber and pax it's usually bad for us :frown: