Newbie advice for accepting/decline

mactube

Hi, I'm brand new here and with Uber for the second day...
Since I first turned on my app and of cause missed to accept the very first ride by looking at the request for for 1 second to long and getting the message .. " you declined your first ride" I realized that this might become an issue and from there on was quicker to respond after the beep. When I then realized that Uber will send requests before I the ride is completed and I have to take them or it counts as a decline I adjusted to that as well ( Since I missed 4 rides in 2 minutes when I couldn't get an older couple to leave the care quick enough to get out into the 105 F heat when they weren't sure if it was the right address ) Now I'm wondering what my acceptance rate is since I can't see it on my app .. or is there no acceptance rate with Uber and I have just read about it with Lyft ?

Also my Question is: When somebody pops up on the way for Uber Pool ( which happened't today .. and again a declined ride .. because I didn't realize it quickly enough what it even was)

Are Riders surprised when you pull over to let somebody else in the car for the UberPool ? Are the Riders even aware, that they signed up for anything like this ? Do you guys ask the Rider if its ok ? Which when he stays no you have declined another request .. ( you missed it and declined the ride anyway by the time you hear the answer from your current rider ) !?

Another Uber Driver

Uber does not count acceptance rates against you, anymore. It may use them to determine eligibility for bonuses or incentives. It will send you nastygrams, but it will not de-activate you over failing to accept pings.

Cancellations-by-driver do count against you, even if they are legitimate, such as passenger's not showing, too many people or passenger not at address shown. Thus, you should cancel sparingly. If you can get the user to cancel, you are better off doing so.

For the first couple of days, you might accept every ping just to get the idea of how it works. After that, you can decide what to do. There are some times when I will not accept pings. In the City, I will accept no ping more than five minutes away. Depending on where in the suburbs, I might cast a wider net, but, under no circumstance will I accept a ping more than fifteen minutes away. It would have to be a special case for me to accept even that.

If you are travelling on a freeway, never accept a ping that is behind you. It takes too long to get turned around and headed the other way to cover it.

If I do accept an Uber Pool (which, as a rule, I will not), when I arrive at the first passenger's address and the passenger shows up, I ask him if he did, in fact, order Uber Pool. If he replies in the affirmative, I make a remark along the lines of "....then you know what it is all about and you understand that you might have to share the car.....". As long as they acknowledge that, everything is fine. If they start asking all sorts of questions, I feign ignorance and invite them to cancel and order UberX. For those who do not understand anything about Uber Pool, I will limit my explanation to their having to share the car and be taken out of their way and that this is what they get for so cheap a price. If they balk in the slightest, I invite them to cancel and order UberX.

If you are going to run Uber Pool, do not let the first passenger (or second, for that matter) veto your picking up additional passengers. There are consequences to being cheap. Let them pay those consequences. This is one reason why you ask them up front if they ordered Uber Pool and do they understand how it works.

Uber Pool is highly profitable to Uber, as it keeps most of the money that it charges the customers and gives the driver so little of it. In my market, it is, as a rule, not profitable for the driver. This is one, of several reasons, why usually, I will not accept Uber Pool. Uber Pool has its uses if you are trying to meet a trip quota for a bonus or incentive, but other than that, it is useless for the driver, in this market at least. Your market might be different.

Lyft counts cancellations and expired pings into one Accept Rate.

There were lawsuits in California and Massachusetts. As part of a proposed settlement of those, Uber stopped counting acceptance rates against drivers. While Lyft is not a party to either the suits or the settlements, I would assume that it would let the terms of those settlements guide their policies, as I doubt highly that Lyft has any desire to be sued.

My acceptance rate on Uber Taxi is hight. On UberX, it is low, relatively speaking. On Lyft, it is totally in the tank. (I drive Uber Taxi [not available in your market], UberX and Lyft). Neither Uber nor Lyft have threatened me with de-activation over not accepting pings.

Remember, you are in this to make a profit. You must do what works for you and what it profitable for you.

mactube

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@SomeDrivingGuy where in the settings / account can I find it?

@Another Uber Driver thanks thats grate advice ! I have started to immediately reach for the device then I hear the ping. To be honest I have never even seen the actual distance to the ping or even location ( weather its behind me .. if on the freeway) because like what ?.. 5 sec. to accept !?

While I have you guys here.. Does it make sense to drive towards surge areas ? .. as they seem to vanish when you get their ( like uber sees you are there and want to pay you at a normal rate now .. lol.

Do you guys ever go offline to get out of a bad area? .. maybe even to get to a surge area?

Again great advice ! Thank you

dumbdriver

Uber does not count acceptance rates against you, anymore. It may use them to determine eligibility for bonuses or incentives. It will send you nastygrams, but it will not de-activate you over failing to accept pings.

Cancellations-by-driver do count against you, even if they are legitimate, such as passenger's not showing, too many people or passenger not at address shown. Thus, you should cancel sparingly. If you can get the user to cancel, you are better off doing so.

For the first couple of days, you might accept every ping just to get the idea of how it works. After that, you can decide what to do. There are some times when I will not accept pings. In the City, I will accept no ping more than five minutes away. Depending on where in the suburbs, I might cast a wider net, but, under no circumstance will I accept a ping more than fifteen minutes away. It would have to be a special case for me to accept even that.

If you are travelling on a freeway, never accept a ping that is behind you. It takes too long to get turned around and headed the other way to cover it.

If I do accept an Uber Pool (which, as a rule, I will not), when I arrive at the first passenger's address and the passenger shows up, I ask him if he did, in fact, order Uber Pool. If he replies in the affirmative, I make a remark along the lines of "....then you know what it is all about and you understand that you might have to share the car.....". As long as they acknowledge that, everything is fine. If they start asking all sorts of questions, I feign ignorance and invite them to cancel and order UberX. For those who do not understand anything about Uber Pool, I will limit my explanation to their having to share the car and be taken out of their way and that this is what they get for so cheap a price. If they balk in the slightest, I invite them to cancel and order UberX.

If you are going to run Uber Pool, do not let the first passenger (or second, for that matter) veto your picking up additional passengers. There are consequences to being cheap. Let them pay those consequences. This is one reason why you ask them up front if they ordered Uber Pool and do they understand how it works.

Uber Pool is highly profitable to Uber, as it keeps most of the money that it charges the customers and gives the driver so little of it. In my market, it is, as a rule, not profitable for the driver. This is one, of several reasons, why usually, I will not accept Uber Pool. Uber Pool has its uses if you are trying to meet a trip quota for a bonus or incentive, but other than that, it is useless for the driver, in this market at least. Your market might be different.

Lyft counts cancellations and expired pings into one Accept Rate.

There were lawsuits in California and Massachusetts. As part of a proposed settlement of those, Uber stopped counting acceptance rates against drivers. While Lyft is not a party to either the suits or the settlements, I would assume that it would let the terms of those settlements guide their policies, as I doubt highly that Lyft has any desire to be sued.

My acceptance rate on Uber Taxi is hight. On UberX, it is low, relatively speaking. On Lyft, it is totally in the tank. (I drive Uber Taxi [not available in your market], UberX and Lyft). Neither Uber nor Lyft have threatened me with de-activation over not accepting pings.

Remember, you are in this to make a profit. You must do what works for you and what it profitable for you.
I'm in st. Louis and here is one of the most segregated cities in America most whites or blacks vice a versa will not ride with each other! does Uber even understand this?

dumbdriver

@SomeDrivingGuy where in the settings / account can I find it?

@Another Uber Driver thanks thats grate advice ! I have started to immediately reach for the device then I hear the ping. To be honest I have never even seen the actual distance to the ping or even location ( weather its behind me .. if on the freeway) because like what ?.. 5 sec. to accept !?

While I have you guys here.. Does it make sense to drive towards surge areas ? .. as they seem to vanish when you get their ( like uber sees you are there and want to pay you at a normal rate now .. lol.

Do you guys ever go offline to get out of a bad area? .. maybe even to get to a surge area?

Again great advice ! Thank you
now even in bad neighborhoods as long as your customer is not the one shooting at your car while you are waiting for the passenger to get in you must still pick up the customer and wait. Uber terminated the last few drivers who shot back or shot and killed people shooting at them it's against their policy for you to protect yourself anymore

MaximusMurkimus

Are Riders surprised when you pull over to let somebody else in the car for the UberPool ?

Usually they are; they think they're slick enough to use Pool because they think you're not gonna pick anyone else up.

Are the Riders even aware, that they signed up for anything like this?

Back when Pool was new, no. But now there's no excuse.

Do you guys ask the Rider if its ok ?

I make them aware, but it's always okay, since they picked pool.

Another Uber Driver

I'm in st. Louis and here is one of the most segregated cities in America most whites or blacks vice a versa will not ride with each other! does Uber even understand this?
Among the regulations that are imposed almost universally on the TNCs by various Authorities are the requirements that it not discriminate with regard to race, color, creed, national origin, geographic location, matirculation, fill in the protected classes. The Authorities and busybidy do-gooders generally are satisfied if the TNCs de-activate any driver found discriminating in such a manner once said discrimination is brought to their attention.

For that reason, it matters not if Uber "understands this" or not. If there is any evidence of discrimination by a driver, Uber will de-activate, if for no other reason than to protect itself.

Unlike the cab companies, whom the Authorities and the do-gooders expect to take pre-emptive action, the TNCs are expected to act only once something is brought to their attention. A cab company's acting when something is brought to its attention is not sufficient.