• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Newb Advice: What's best to do between trips?

TNCMinWage

You guys are all hilarious... I haven't had a good laugh like that in a while. I'm uber-ing for fun as a spare time gig outside of my regular job and for the laughs. Don't worry, when I move on, I won't spend my days trolling forums.
If doing it for fun, why not turn off your app, and hang a sign on your door that says "I give cheap/free rides for fun on the side, want one?". Then you would at least not be a surge wrecker, and can leave those higher priced rides for those whom really do need the money. Thanks for your consideration.

chamomiami

advice .. open your browser, go to craigslist or indeed and look for a better job (what i do) i cant be working and complaining because i think i deserve anything or i should be better pay, Uber = part time or die trying.

UberLaLa

Go around the block from your drop-off...hit Airplane Mode (to make certain your Location Services is accurate) then turn it back on and set a Destination Filter to an area, you know people in the area you now find yourself in, will need a ride to.

If after 10 minutes no Ping, keep DF on and head towards that area...

Good Luck.

tohunt4me

I realize that when the car is moving and I'm not getting paid, I'm wasting gas. That said, if I get a trip heading out towards the burbs or the hood, I'll usually head back towards the center of town after a trip. Would I be smarter to look for a place to park?

If so, where? I don't want to pull two spaces from the pax's house and camp out like a stalker. My instincts are to head back towards where I hope there will be another trip, but I also don't want to piss money away since that's why I'm in this game to begin with.
Update your resume.
Look for a Real Job.
Worked for me.

I ubered full time for over 2 years.
Uber got worse and worse.

kdyrpr

I realize that when the car is moving and I'm not getting paid, I'm wasting gas. That said, if I get a trip heading out towards the burbs or the hood, I'll usually head back towards the center of town after a trip. Would I be smarter to look for a place to park?

If so, where? I don't want to pull two spaces from the pax's house and camp out like a stalker. My instincts are to head back towards where I hope there will be another trip, but I also don't want to piss money away since that's why I'm in this game to begin with.
Find another job

Oscar Levant

You should be thinking about maximizing paid miles/dead miles ratio, and the way to do that is not move much, just stay put after dropping ( drive to a near commercial center, or just find a comfortable place to park. parking in burbs is not a good idea, get locals nervous, might think you are a child predator or something.) Of course, set a limit if you dont get a trip right way. For me, nothing within 20 minutes -- I move to a different area. Some areas can die on you.

I work strictly the airport but the drawback is lots of dead miles, but they are easy miles if you work in a city that has a lot of freeways ( like San Diego does ). If I drop in an area that beseiged with traffic, I deadhead out of there. If it's in the burbs with low traffic, and I get a call right away, I'll take it, but I usually dead head out of there a back to the airport after that. Sometimes I get lucky an it takes be back or near there. some ask me if it's profitable. I do about $1o per hour, just like in the streets. The only difference is, more freeway miles. more miles, but less wear and tear on my brakes and interior, no bar crowd, just people, mostly professional people either going to a hotel or going home.

Working the streets, the odds of getting a trip that's over $30 is much much less than at the airport, though working the streets, you can do 25 or more trips in a 10 hour period. Working the airport, it's about 10 trips, with more waiting time between trips and about 2 or so trips over $30 out of 10 trips, sometimes 3 over $30 in a 10 hour shift, so a bad day is about $100, a good day is about $180, for me. I'm lazy, so the airport works for me and I can catch on my reading (kindle) while I wait, or listen to Sirius or just browse the net on my tablet. I can also watch TV ( we have directTV at home, so I can watch it via an app on my tablet ). What I also like about working the airport, it's steady, predictable, and a no-brainer, and with the queue, I always know where I stand.

Working the airport is much easier on your car's interior. in my previous car, I worked the streets, and had a light beige interior, and after a year, it was thrashed. I worked to 3 am every night. You get a lot a groups, 2 or more people going out clubbing, when driving at night. working the airport, usually not more than 2, and most runs it's only one person so thios cuts the stress on the interior in half. For me, my car, this is important, I can't stand driving a car with a worn looking interior. I learned my lesson, the second car I purchased is a toyota with a black interior. Black interior is the way to go, in this business. Ive had nine months on this car, and I can hardly notice any wear, stains, etc., on my interior.

One thing I realized, it's not a good idea to mix strategies, either work the streets, and if you get an airport run, get out of the zone when you drop, or just work the airport exclusively.

If you are a younger guy, energetic type, you won't like the airport. If you're a older tired guy, or suffer from some malady which sucks up your energy ( like I do, ever since I got a crap load of vaccinations in the Navy, I've suffered a reaction and was left with chronic fatigue syndrome, though a mild case of it ) the airport is the way to go. (by the way, for all you pro-vaxxers, I'm not arguing that the vaccines were the cause of it, but the coincidence is compelling, that's all I can say. I refuse any and all vaccinations since then, I don't want to go through that again, or worsen the condition. My doctor seems to be okay with my refusals. ).

Last edited:

Eesoso

The only issue with Airports that I have is sometimes the ride simply goes a few miles downtown in the gnarliest of traffic. And there is a lot of waiting around...

Spatulachick

Depending on where I am, I either find a parking spot on a quiet residential road, or pull into a Wawa (if you don’t have Wawa, you’re missing out :smiles: because they’re brightly lit and always busy. I knit so I typically bring a knitting project in the car and work on it while waiting for a pax. If I forget my knitting, like last night, I play on my phone.

We always have a wait at the airport (too many drivers, not enough pax), but if I’m not feeling too motivated, I go sit in the queue, watch Netflix, and knit. (Yeah, I know. I’m boring. :biggrin:.)

Alison Chains

You will get a hang for it, and you'll see that three or four blocks can make a difference in some area. But sometimes the pings aren't there and you can easily bounce around an area that *ought* to have traffic for half an hour.

When you've read everything there is to read and browsed everything there is to browse on the phone, enter Pokemon Go. I took over about a dozen downtown gyms this morning while college-town fall break was putting a very large dent in everyone's business.

Another Uber Driver

if I get a trip heading out towards the burbs or the hood, I'll usually head back towards the center of town after a trip. Would I be smarter to look for a place to park?
Usually, I look for a place to park and take a nap. If I get a ping, it will awaken me. I do, however, avoid taking naps in the rougher parts of the Metropolitan Area.