Newb Advice: What's best to do between trips?

I realize that when the car is moving and I'm not getting paid, I'm wasting gas. That said, if I get a trip heading out towards the burbs or the hood, I'll usually head back towards the center of town after a trip. Would I be smarter to look for a place to park?

If so, where? I don't want to pull two spaces from the pax's house and camp out like a stalker. My instincts are to head back towards where I hope there will be another trip, but I also don't want to piss money away since that's why I'm in this game to begin with.

Spotscat

After a while of driving, you'll begin to learn patterns - where the more common locations for ride pickups are in your town. Bars, restaurants, shopping malls, movie theaters... where people need rides to and from.

Once you begin to see patterns develop, you'll know where to position yourself to increase your chances of getting another ride request.

Eesoso

I realize that when the car is moving and I'm not getting paid, I'm wasting gas. That said, if I get a trip heading out towards the burbs or the hood, I'll usually head back towards the center of town after a trip. Would I be smarter to look for a place to park?

If so, where? I don't want to pull two spaces from the pax's house and camp out like a stalker. My instincts are to head back towards where I hope there will be another trip, but I also don't want to piss money away since that's why I'm in this game to begin with.

Strictly commercial Downtowns are not necessarily the best place to go back to. The best places to wait for a ping is when you have residential, leisure and employment zones closely available for all the types of riders: 1)pple going to and from their homes (are like clockwork and can be timed). 2) pple going to and from work, and 3) pple going to and from leisure activities. The latter 2 rider types come up throughout the day and night.

So, to go back to your question, it would depend on what time it is and what day of the week. Evening twilight? Yes, center of town. Early Dawn? Head to the 'burbs. Weekend? Stay put. A ping will come. Probably to the City. As for what to do, I stretch walk around. I might top my gas if I feel like it. Mostly browse reddit lol. To be honest, I don't get a lot of down time...

Last edited:
S In terms of what to do, I stretch walk around. I might top my gas if I feel like it. Mostly browse reddit lol. To be honest, I don't get a lot of down time...

I was afraid if I goofed off with the phone, I'd get kicked out of online mode. Do you not need to keep the Driver app in the front of your screen? Can you do other shit with your phone while you are online?

reg barclay

I was afraid if I goofed off with the phone, I'd get kicked out of online mode. Do you not need to keep the Driver app in the front of your screen? Can you do other shit with your phone while you are online?
Yes you can do other stuff and it will stay online in the background. I think after a while if you don't go back to the Uber app it will make some sort of reminder sound and ask if you want to stay online, if you don't respond to it I think it takes the app offline.

If I get a ping while doing something else on my phone the Uber app doesn't usually force itself to the front but I get some notification at the top of the screen which I can tap to get to the ping. This might differ from app to app and from OS to OS and you might be able to adjust this in your settings.

Last edited:

Coachman

It's a crap shoot. You can drive to a spot that you think might improve your odds but there will be those times you wait for an hour and a half and get nothing. Other times you'll be in the middle of nowhere and boom, in comes a request.

Uber Crack

Author
Yes you can do other stuff and it will stay online in the background. I think after a while if you don't go back to the Uber app it will make some sort of reminder sound and ask if you want to stay online, if you don't respond to it I think it takes the app offline.

If I get a ping while doing something else on my phone the Uber app doesn't usually force itself to the front but I get some notification at the top of the screen which I can tap to get to the ping. This might differ from app to app and from OS to OS and you might be able to adjust this in your settings.
If you go to phone settings, then apps, then uber app, open it and check settings in there. You can set uber app to over-ride other apps. Whilst in settings check your permissions too. Uber only needs location and camera permissions. :smiles:

If you go to phone settings, then apps, then uber app, open it and check settings in there. You can set uber app to over-ride other apps. Whilst in settings check your permissions too. Uber only needs location and camera permissions. :smiles:

That's awesome advice. I removed the "contacts" permission which it looks like it's just so they can offer to spam your friends with referral codes.

Singing in the Rain

Find a quiet spot, preferably in the shade, and consider long and hard what you're doing to your car. And remember, you're only making $7 to $9 an hour, so your nephew slinging hash at Burger King is making a little more than you are. Is it worth it?

Find a quiet spot, preferably in the shade, and consider long and hard what you're doing to your car. And remember, you're only making $7 to $9 an hour, so your nephew slinging hash at Burger King is making a little more than you are. Is it worth it?

I suggest doing the same thing -- find a quiet spot and ask yourself why are you trolling uber driver forums.

Last edited by a moderator:

Singing in the Rain

I suggest doing the same thing -- find a quiet spot and ask yourself why are you trolling uber driver forums.
Oh, no apology or rationalization required. This is the voice of experience helping you out.
Please let me know if I can clarify anything further for you. I really don't mind. It's hard being a newb. We've all been there. The gig seems easy and profitable...and then reality sets in. That's when you realize your nephew at Berger King may have it correct.

Last edited:

UberBastid

Don'tcha love it when a newb asks for advice, then gives you hell for giving it?
Why ask.

Oh, and BTW newb ... I am NOT clicking on your link to a virus infected site. Not to mention that we're not supposed to post links here.

Singing in the Rain

Don'tcha love it when a newb asks for advice, then gives you hell for giving it?
Why ask.

Oh, and BTW newb ... I am NOT clicking on your link to a virus infected site. Not to mention that we're not supposed to post links here.
Yeah, Systemspoet will be one of those chaps that does the Uber gig for a few months, figures it out, realizes we were all correct, then moves on to another gig. But that's how this is designed to operate. Even though I no longer haul swine in my car, I still am willing to contribute the value of my experience with those less enlightened.