• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Newark Penn Station/Raymond Plaza :(

Clarity

I'm at the point where I am done picking up people in this area for a while. I noticed that the pickup location is often vague because there are multiple pickup/dropoff locations and they don't always match what the GPS tells me. I could always contact pax in advance to verify where they are but honestly I just can't be bothered to do that every single time. Traffic is usually heavy with impatient drivers in or near the pickup/dropoff area. I would actually wait in the taxi pickup/dropoff area since there was very little traffic and I thought it wasn't a big deal since I'm working for a rideshare company. I found out recently that I'm not supposed to do this. Well I'm not going to bother with this area at all anymore unless I'm just dropping someone off or if it's a pickup between 2am-6am. Once I drop them off I am leaving Newark immediately. Uber/Lyft Driver app stays off until I'm in a different city. The times I left it on, I would get pings one after another in Newark making it difficult to leave and I never know if I'm in a bad area of Newark. Plus roads are usually awful.

EWR/Newark Airport is way more tolerable.

SuzeCB

I'm at the point where I am done picking up people in this area for a while. I noticed that the pickup location is often vague because there are multiple pickup/dropoff locations and they don't always match what the GPS tells me. I could always contact pax in advance to verify where they are but honestly I just can't be bothered to do that every single time. Traffic is usually heavy with impatient drivers in or near the pickup/dropoff area. I would actually wait in the taxi pickup/dropoff area since there was very little traffic and I thought it wasn't a big deal since I'm working for a rideshare company. I found out recently that I'm not supposed to do this. Well I'm not going to bother with this area at all anymore unless I'm just dropping someone off or if it's a pickup between 2am-6am. Once I drop them off I am leaving Newark immediately. Uber/Lyft Driver app stays off until I'm in a different city. The times I left it on, I would get pings one after another in Newark making it difficult to leave and I never know if I'm in a bad area of Newark. Plus roads are usually awful.

EWR/Newark Airport is way more tolerable.
Yeah. The taxi lane is actually not even for all taxis. Only for one company. That's their stand.

Only place I've ever known to be a valid p/u place there is Raymond Blvd. West, alongside the taxi lane. Traffic on that single, short block can be a real b****, though.

Clarity

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah. The taxi lane is actually not even for all taxis. Only for one company. That's their stand.

Only place I've ever known to be a valid p/u place there is Raymond Blvd. West, alongside the taxi lane. Traffic on that single, short block can be a real b****, though.
Yeah Raymond Blvd. West is exactly what I try to avoid as it's always a catastrophe. Even when I'm driving as safely and attentively as possible, people just have no patience.

Ever try picking up or dropping off there during rush hour? Ha ha ha ha
Recipe for a nightmare

What I’ve done in the past is go across the street by the Hilton and ask the pax to come over to me.
I have had pax request from there. That's a smart move, but the GPS is not always accurate. I think sometimes it will tell me the pickup is Raymond Blvd. West when it's really the Hilton which totally confused me several times. I'll definitely keep this in mind in the future.

Pizzaburrito

Secaucus Junction pickup is a lot easier in my experience, especially after games at Metlife. You usually get the smarter business type travelers that didn't want a ride out of Manhattan. Set your DF to a southernly town like Princeton. Newark is to be avoided at almost all costs.

Mr. Taxi

The Newark train is a nightmare at rush hour; ; there's an old brown Impala that hands out tickets there . I think he has to give you a warning first though..