• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Newark Airport Sweet Time Spot

NJDriver

Basically, there are maybe about 40 flights which come in during the night probably loaded down with about 100 people each. So thats 4000 chances at getting a ride. 40% of the traffic comes to Terminal C. In order to get a ride, you have to be right near the Terminal or you may not get it.

So for Terminal C the sweet spot is from 2am to 7am. Before or after those times you might have a lot more law enforcement presence which will make it nearly impossible to pick up. The preferred pickup spot is right at the end of the terminal near the fire hydrant. This is past the stop light. I love this place to wait because I am constantly looking in the mirror any cops and I can make my escape. Also the passengers load in quickly and you are gone. The cops, if any, hang out on the other side of the terminal.

So, you get a ping, get on the phone with them and tell them exactly where to meet you. Past the stop light near Starbucks right at the fire hydrant. You come in like Rambo, load them in with the luggage, move as fast as you can. Get in and drive off. If the cops are behind you on foot, they cant flag you down.

The other alternate waiting spot is the departures area up top. Even though its a few floors above its still close to pick up a ping. You get a ping get on the phone with the passenger. Tell them to meet you at that fire hydrant.

In the rare instance the passenger doesnt want to meet you, simply explain that there are a lot of people in the terminal and it would be better that way or simply tell them its better because of the police.

Picking up mid-terminal is very risky as the cops can be ahead and ready to flag you down.

Igor.V.F

Basically, there are maybe about 40 flights which come in during the night probably loaded down with about 100 people each. So thats 4000 chances at getting a ride. 40% of the traffic comes to Terminal C. In order to get a ride, you have to be right near the Terminal or you may not get it.

So for Terminal C the sweet spot is from 2am to 7am. Before or after those times you might have a lot more law enforcement presence which will make it nearly impossible to pick up. The preferred pickup spot is right at the end of the terminal near the fire hydrant. This is past the stop light. I love this place to wait because I am constantly looking in the mirror any cops and I can make my escape. Also the passengers load in quickly and you are gone. The cops, if any, hang out on the other side of the terminal.

So, you get a ping, get on the phone with them and tell them exactly where to meet you. Past the stop light near Starbucks right at the fire hydrant. You come in like Rambo, load them in with the luggage, move as fast as you can. Get in and drive off. If the cops are behind you on foot, they cant flag you down.

The other alternate waiting spot is the departures area up top. Even though its a few floors above its still close to pick up a ping. You get a ping get on the phone with the passenger. Tell them to meet you at that fire hydrant.

In the rare instance the passenger doesnt want to meet you, simply explain that there are a lot of people in the terminal and it would be better that way or simply tell them its better because of the police.

Picking up mid-terminal is very risky as the cops can be ahead and ready to flag you down.

Have to disagree with some parts of this post. Good call on pick up location - by door 6. Sweet spot.

The rest tho - it's usually completely dead between 2am and 4.30am, unless LA and SF flights are delayed and land past 2am instead of usual 12.50 or 1.10. But it's kinda rare. There are no flights that land between 2 and 4.30, except for ups and FedEx cargo planes.

Tel Aviv and Mumbai flights arrive as early as 3.50 sometimes, BUT customs only open at 4.30am - that's a fact. By the time people go through customs it's 5am.

I'd say the good times in the morning are between 5am and 8-9am for airport pickups, but certainly not 2-7. Sorry.

By the way, I think I know you - your name is Mike, right?

NJDriver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mike???

Depends on the night. I would say to check the incoming flights and use common sense. I dont want to sound racist, but the fact is a good percentage of customers are Indian. A flight from India is filled with customers. Also those flights I see coming in from Los Angeles. California is very Uber friendly.

The airport is really a lotto ticket depending upon enforcement activity , the number of Uber cars and your ability to hang in the terminals. If you cant hang in the terminals you are not going to get a ping. If you get it right hanging in the right places at the right times, the sky is the limit in regards to income. I made $200 in a few hours which would normally take several hours or the entire day to make. You have to be aggressive and really look at the flights coming in even then you might find yourself having wasted a bit of time if you fail to get a ping.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do?airportCode=EWR&airportQueryType=1

Igor.V.F

Mike???

Depends on the night. I would say to check the incoming flights and use common sense. I dont want to sound racist, but the fact is a good percentage of customers are Indian. A flight from India is filled with customers. Also those flights I see coming in from Los Angeles. California is very Uber friendly.

The airport is really a lotto ticket depending upon enforcement activity , the number of Uber cars and your ability to hang in the terminals. If you cant hang in the terminals you are not going to get a ping. If you get it right hanging in the right places at the right times, the sky is the limit in regards to income. I made $200 in a few hours which would normally take several hours or the entire day to make. You have to be aggressive and really look at the flights coming in even then you might find yourself having wasted a bit of time if you fail to get a ping.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do?airportCode=EWR&airportQueryType=1
Yeah I talked to this guy named Mike on a different forum and your writing styles are similar. But I guess just a coincident. Never mind.

Funny thing, after writing my reply I checked Newark arrivals and there are actually 13 passenger flights that land between 2am and 4am today. Lol. But today almost every single flight was delayed. I had 8 ewr pick ups today and EVERY SINGLE RIDER told me that their flight was delayed. One poor guys said his flight was delayed by 6 hours.

But it's very uncommon. Usually only one or two flights land between 2 and 4. Not sure if it's worth it staying up that late.

NJDriver

Just wanted to post this one critical comment about the airport. My buddy and I were at the airport a few days ago. The enforcement activity was through the roof, but we still tried and circled. We couldnt get one ping and I even got pulled over for some bogus reason. Detained for half an hour, but let go without a ticket over some bogus license plate issue. I left without much luck on the fare front.

In Hoboken for NJ drivers or Manhattan for NY drivers there are always fares no matter the time of day. Right now at 1:30am there is always fares. Those fares, however, will probably be of the short variety most of the time. If you hang out at the airport and do not get a fare you will have permanently missed whatever income you might have derived from Hoboken or Manhattan. In Hoboken Ive made as little as 60 dollars from 8 hours, but there were some days where the surges and longer distance fares out of Hoboken brought it up to 300 dollars for the day.

So if you dont get any fares at the airport you will have missed the fares you might have gotten from Hoboken or Manhattan.

ladyanya

my question is with following this method what's the length of time your sitting before actually receiving a ping? when you in competition with the thousands of yellow cabs lined up waiting uber drivers from ny WHO are bravely waving the uber sign and then you who is actually walking in the terminal then here comes me parked up at the terminal for 45 minute's or longer is it really worth it?

NJDriver

I think you missed a few of my threads. A while back I tried walking in the terminal, but I didnt get any pings doing it plus the GPS put me on the wrong road. The most current strategy is to get to the airport in the middle of the night when these redeye flights are coming in to increase the odds. Fewer cars available in the middle of the night and no cops. Between 1-2am today there are several sweet flights coming in from San Francisco tonight August 22nd which is a place where everyone uses Uber. 4-6am will be another sweet time. There will be a lull in between 2-4am.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Home/home.do

The time it will take to drop off someone in Hoboken one way will be about 15-20 minutes. If you are going to the city maybe 30 minutes. So its best to print out the incoming flight list. You might not be able to get back to the airport once you do a drop.

cooldude

If you drive for lyft too, keep both apps open, chances to get a lyft request are much higher at EWR specially for flights coming from California. this morning i did 3 rides out of EWR using lyft, almost no competitions

Skyhakw2472

If you drive for lyft too, keep both apps open, chances to get a lyft request are much higher at EWR specially for flights coming from California. this morning i did 3 rides out of EWR using lyft, almost no competitions
Is Lyft still using the old rates at EWR? Probably why not much competition as everyone is trying to get the higher rates from EWR.

Tony from New Jersey

What is per mile rate for Lyft at EWR? same as Uber or less?

Tony from New Jersey

So why should I drive for 1/2 the price? doesn't make sense to me. If I like to drive at 1.10 than I will drive some other place, other than EWR. Why should I take additional risk and no reward?

cooldude

So why should I drive for 1/2 the price? doesn't make sense to me. If I like to drive at 1.10 than I will drive some other place, other than EWR. Why should I take additional risk and no reward?
its not that easy to get an uber passenger out of EWR nowadays, there are usually at least 10 uber cars per terminal hanging in there and many of them are with limo and tlc plates which encourage them to challenge COPS presence more. if you only drive for uberx at jersey, lyft is better than driving back empty. and talking about the cops, i spotted today at the arrival of terminal A by door 8 an officer with plan clothes, he was checking almost every vehicle trying to figure out which one can be a "potentiel uber"

NJDriver

One thing which must be understood. Cops or no cops some of us here need to make a living and will take whatever we can from Uber. Ive been stopped twice at Newark Airport, ticketed once, but I am not deterred. Im going back. Uber ponied up on the ticket. At this point in my life, I am very used to and comfortable with being pulled over. That does not concern me. The cops dont concern me. As long as you play nice with the cops and have all the paperwork to hand them all you will get is a ticket which Uber will pay for.

Chi Bones

Haven't driven since they changed the EWR rates so I was testing the water for the 1st time today and I got pinged in the cell phone lot. That never happened before. Was waiting for a client so I turned it down, but maybe this can work!

Terminal C Door 6 Pasngr Pick Up 4 is definitely the place to be

NJDriver

Just went to the airport now and I can confirm the cops are out in force. Every terminal is locked down tight. So that leaves the early morning. Maybe in another week it might loosen up. Circled around a few times, no pings.