1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

New York Administrative Judge says Uber Drivers are Employees

Discussion in 'News' started by Maven, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The question is: How long? Months? Years? Decades? Uber has been very successful in fighting reclassification efforts. They have lost some battles, but keep on fighting both in the USA and overseas.

2. Uber315

Uber315 Active Member

The longer the better!

3. Ca$h4

Ca$h4 Well-Known Member

Here is the Judge's written decision against Uber's misclassification of Uber Drivers. The Judge picks Uber's Driver misclassification apart point by point.

http://uberlawsuit.com/NY unemployment decision.pdf

4. UberPal

UberPal Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I can also drive 5 miles an hour on each trip and take 5 bathroom breaks. Don't underestimate the power of the people, Uber needs to hire the rates so we can afford to maintain our cars and earn a good living or else they will be fighting us in court until they are gone. Travis was removed everyone is replaceable.

5. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The sad truth is that individual people, without significant personal resources, have very little power in America today or in the last 100 years. There are several ways to gain power:
    • by joining together with many other similar people, organizing into a union
    • by organizing politically with other people of similar beliefs
    • with the backing of a large law firm that sees a big payday
    • a massive shift to support the competition
    • transient power by going viral on social media
    Until and unless they are forced, corporations will disregard the interests of individuals. Especially true if corporations perceive a virtually inexhaustible supply of replacements, as Uber does today. Corporations like Uber may attempt to create the appearance of caring (example: widely-publicized 180-days of change) without the substance.

Travis was removed not because of the opinions of drivers, but how his policies negatively affected employees at all levels, generated multiple law suits, a constant flow of negative publicity, gave competitors opportunities to steal market share, and most important threatening to devalue the worth of investments already made by backers.

6. Willy wonka

Willy wonka New Member

Very well put. One problem with tryimg to establish a union is. There are to many people afraid to give up their low paying jobs. The people that run Uber consider drivers to be the same as any other product. Retail store buy their merchandise at the lowest price that they can. Supply and demand works the same way with drivers. As long as there is a large supply of people willing to drive cheaply. Uber can get pleanty of drivers

7. garyk

garyk Active Member

1.35 a mile and ,24 a minute... Made 40k gross last year 3 days a week

8. Willy wonka

Willy wonka New Member

Wow. I had no ideal what rates were when I joined. I was under the impression that I would make $20 - $30 per hour. What a joke that is.

Uber is making a big deal out of charging for waiting time. Do the math. 15 cents per minute = $9.00 per hour - Ubers 25 percent = $6.75 hourly rate. That's less than 11 cents per minute You might want to shut your vehicle off while waiting. It proubly cost more than 11 cents per minute to keep it running.

9. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Uber told you the truth, but neglected to mention that was gross pay, 3 years ago, in a major market.
    May not be work shutting off car. It takes a lot of gas to start.

10. Willy wonka

Willy wonka New Member

I found a way to make money with Uber. I like to play poker. So I'll drive for Uber until I make $50.00. Then I join a poker game. The $50.00 can become $200.00 very fast. Orrrrrr. It can become $0 even faster. But atleast I'm having fun.

11. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    Having no idea of what the rates were is not really a joke. It's hard to construct a business plan when the basis for revenue is an unknown.

12. Steve2967

Steve2967 Member

Or you could just do something else if you hate it so bad. Why would someone keep doing something they are losing money doing?

I agree that Uber needs to raise rates however, Uber is currently ina battle with competitors and raising rates at the wrong time could be the death of the company.

You see, it's very easy for all these people to pretend they know business when they fail to recognize they have competitors at their heels in virtually every market.

Add to that drivers that are driving for Uber and Lyft and thus keeping the competition in the game. One is going to have to fail or be bought out for rates to increase.

If Uber raises rates riders will simply switch to
    Lyft in mass.

13. Willy wonka

Willy wonka New Member

If Uber would raise rates. I would turn my Lyft app off. I might get fewer riders. But the pay would be better. While driving for Lyft you will miss rider request for Uber

. Lyft would follow Uber and raise there rates within two weeks

14. Scott Aadal

Scott Aadal New Member

No, they are NOT.

15. Willy wonka

Willy wonka New Member

No they are not what?