New Uber pool rates

Pchi

My take on the notification is that the only way I'll see the new pool rate is if I take a pool which I wont.
From what I read it sounds like the new uber pool rate is the same as what Lyft had done recently.
Is that correct?

Last edited:

bpm45

what do you see? I don't see anything except fluff and telling me to go to partners.uber.com to see the pickup rates but I don't see anything there.

If they are adding a dollar amount for each pickup, it'd have to be significant to change behavior.

Currently, the upfront pricing and market discrimination has been pushing up fares for riders and more are requesting pool rides. Uber thinks this is a good thing as some of the most outrageous margins for Uber have come from pools where they charge each rider for mileage and time with a potential 3x increase in revenue while capping us to pool mileage and time rates. I don't take pools except to meet a quest and one of them had Uber getting 70% of the fare.

I don't think an extra couple of bucks per rider will change behavior much. It'd be better if they just went back to a 75/25 split and upped rates and give pool riders a 20% discount, BUT the 75/25 split still applied. that way if 2 riders increased the revenue to 160% of a single rider trip, the driver'd get 75% of that or 120% of a single rider. With 3 riders, it'd go to 240% of a single rider trip and the driver's share would be 180%. That'd change driver behavior!

Sure, taking a pool ride with only 1 passenger would knock it down to 80%, but with the increased rates it'd be the same as a single rider trip, but that's a useful risk/reward balance.

Last edited:

Bman1974

I would rather pickup one poo rider and cancel two poo riders after 2 minutes were up. That $7.50 plus that poo rider made more money than the $1.00 pickup and wear and tear on vehicle.

bpm45

that won't change my behavior one little bit.

they also crow about how they'll streamline routes and pickup locations - with their fine mapping software? That's one of the biggest pieces of crap software I've seen. I notice they don't inflict that on the riders. Just the drivers.

I really think there is no adult supervision at Uber.

I'll bet there's some hidden "feature" being implemented, such as not allowing the driver to stop ride requests while on a pool trip.

outlier

the article is so biased, but i could understand that the writer may not fully understand of our pool pay structure. it failed to mention that even though riders share the cost of the fare, the driver doesn’t get to taste any part of the incremental fare, except $1! how is that innovative for incentives to drivers?

Friendly Jack

The Tribune article forgot to mention that drivers are paid 6 cents per minute less for Pool than UberX. So the $1 extra per rider -- while Uber still collects the entire $1.60 base fare amount per rider -- is simply giving back to drivers ONLY SOME of the money they already lose doing Pool. I wonder how much Uber paid that reporter to conveniently omit that fact from the story!

Vladko

Lyft is usually funny with its linez and pick up time...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170926-151312.png
    Screenshot_20170926-151312.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 73

driving312

Big surprise! Drivers too lazy to inform themselves on their own rates and then complain about everything.

Very much explains why Uber is a last resort for those that can't hold down a REAL job.

Not making amazing money because of your laziness....sitting in the ORD pit for hours...lol

Last edited:

chitown73

The Tribune article forgot to mention that drivers are paid 6 cents per minute less for Pool than UberX. So the $1 extra per rider -- while Uber still collects the entire $1.60 base fare amount per rider -- is simply giving back to drivers ONLY SOME of the money they already lose doing Pool. I wonder how much Uber paid that reporter to conveniently omit that fact from the story!
Sooooo..... I reached out to the Chicago Tribune regarding the article they ran regarding Uber's recent changes to the rates paid to drivers for UberPool rides have they just emailed me back asking me to clarify what other changes Uber has promised drivers and then taken away under their "180 days of change" campaign. They've also asked me to reach out in the following days and let them know if Uber doesn't follow through on the promised changes to the rates paid for Pool rides. So, who else on here is willing to speak up and have your voices/concerns heard? I have already emailed them back and let them know they are free to contact me at anytime to discuss the subject. There's no guarantee that they will actually publish our concerns but it's better than just venting our frustrations on a forum that only represents a small percentage of the drivers who are being affected.

Last edited:

Friendly Jack

I also think that it's really funny how Uber pats itself on the back for giving us part of something that they have been cheating drivers out of all along, that being the base rate for each of the additional Pool riders. They have gotten so blind to their unethical practices that they obviously think that all of us drivers are too.