• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New Uber firearms policy - NO GUNS FOR DRIVERS OR PAX

DrWu

Being in Texas - having a CHL myself, there is no way I'm conforming to this policy, and how am I supposed to enforce this with my pax? Seems like a BS policy put in place to pander to the media, I really hate when companies do this.

I'm considering quitting and not using uber anymore when I travel, haven't decided and in the meantime, I'll continue to carry in my car. So what is your plan?

Txchick

Being in Texas - having a CHL myself, there is no way I'm conforming to this policy, and how am I supposed to enforce this with my pax? Seems like a BS policy put in place to pander to the media, I really hate when companies do this.

I'm considering quitting and not using uber anymore when I travel, haven't decided and in the meantime, I'll continue to carry in my car. So what is your plan?
If you got in my car Ubering open carry you will be removing your gun & me canceling ride.

frndthDuvel

How is Uber supposed to enforce this? Afterall we are in Texas -- more people than you think are valid and legal CHL holders.

They're treading on thin "independent contractor" logic by making such a statement about 1) drivers who aren't employees and 2) vehicles the company doesn't own.
They can not enforce this. It is simply to be on public record in case somethng happens in the future. Not sure why many of you gun owners are all freaked out. Some of us gun owners are not. Oh yeah, that is what the current generation of gun owners are suppose to do, they are as PC correct and idiotic as those on the left who are so PC on so many issues. Just shut the @@@@ up and do what you want in your car. You want to carry where legal? Go Ahead, you likely are going to continue to do so, so why make a big deal about it?

D Town

They can not enforce this. It is simply to be on public record in case somethng happens in the future. Not sure why many of you gun owners are all freaked out. Some of us gun owners are not. Oh yeah, that is what the current generation of gun owners are suppose to do, they are as PC correct and idiotic as those on the left who are so PC on so many issues. Just shut the @@@@ up and do what you want in your car. You want to carry where legal? Go Ahead, you likely are going to continue to do so, so why make a big deal about it?
Because being silent about bullsh*t gives the appearance of tacit acceptance of said bullsh*t as an acceptable norm and can lead to laws being passed.

frndthDuvel

Because being silent about bullsh*t gives the appearance of tacit acceptance of said bullsh*t as an acceptable norm and can lead to laws being passed.
It is UBER's right to set policy regarding guns. Even for independant contractors. Their policy is not a law. This is not about protesting losing any 2a rights you have in Texas. You can use your 2A rights anywhere you are legally entitled to do so. Just like you have the right to not patronize that bar or restaurant,or concert who request that folks do not carry. Or drive for UBER. I would think their rights to choose what goes on in their business or home trumps your 2A rights to do what you want in their establishments. For me, my property my rules! Just like the owners of the property which held the NRA Convention event did with Alan jackson and Jeff Foxworthy,with their no carry policy.

Of course regarding UBER if they don't know, they don't know. That will indeed be the driver's choice. Just think of the GoFund it might spawn. I could see a big fuss made over this could lead to more negative publicity than good for drivers who carry. It will be the new question you get asked every ride. "Do you carry?"
Good luck in whatever your decision.

D Town

It is UBER's right to set policy regarding guns. Even for independant contractors. Their policy is not a law. This is not about protesting losing any 2a rights you have in Texas. You can use your 2A rights anywhere you are legally entitled to do so. Just like you have the right to not patronize that bar or restaurant,or concert who request that folks do not carry. Or drive for UBER. I would think their rights to choose what goes on in their business or home trumps your 2A rights to do what you want in their establishments. For me, my property my rules! Just like the owners of the property which held the NRA Convention event did with Alan jackson and Jeff Foxworthy,with their no carry policy.

Of course regarding UBER if they don't know, they don't know. That will indeed be the driver's choice. Just think of the GoFund it might spawn. I could see a big fuss made over this could lead to more negative publicity than good for drivers who carry. It will be the new question you get asked every ride. "Do you carry?"
Good luck in whatever your decision.
There in bold is the problem with your argument here. I am an independent contractor. My car is part of MY business not UBERS. The only physical spaces they control are their field offices and they are free to set rules there.

And its setting a negative undertone by even advising folks that they need to ask. Its treating gun owners like sex offenders or felons who need to be watched out for and listed in a database. You're not explicitly SAYING gun owners are dangerous but this kind of policy is just like the coded language people use against many things and people they fear. Dress it up all you like its the same.

frndthDuvel

There in bold is the problem with your argument here. I am an independent contractor. My car is part of MY business not UBERS. The only physical spaces they control are their field offices and they are free to set rules there.

And its setting a negative undertone by even advising folks that they need to ask. Its treating gun owners like sex offenders or felons who need to be watched out for and listed in a database. You're not explicitly SAYING gun owners are dangerous but this kind of policy is just like the coded language people use against many things and people they fear. Dress it up all you like its the same.
As a gun owner I do not feel like all gun owners are dangerous. I do think many of the gun owners of today are a little, uh high strung and uh paranoid. I guess years of Call Of Duty might do that to you. But thanks for those AR bubbles, worked for me. Better than real estate. Are you saying private owned venues can not have a gun free policy if they choose? Or just UBER can not? Do they allow CCW into Texas Stadium?

Private property rights trump the Second Amendment, I believe there are a few court cases that say that. You do not have the constitutional right to come into my home or my business if I ask you to not come armed. Any Texas Open Carry members around here, or are they all defending from Jade Helm 15.

D Town

As a gun owner I do not feel like all gun owners are dangerous. I do think many of the gun owners of today are a little, uh high strung and uh paranoid. I guess years of Call Of Duty might do that to you. But thanks for those AR bubbles, worked for me. Better than real estate. Are you saying private owned venues can not have a gun free policy if they choose? Or just UBER can not? Do they allow CCW into Texas Stadium?

Private property rights trump the Second Amendment, I believe there are a few court cases that say that. You do not have the constitutional right to come into my home or my business if I ask you to not come armed. Any Texas Open Carry members around here, or are they all defending from Jade Helm 15.
I'm strictly talking about what this threads topic is about: Uber. Private property is private property and actually you make my point. MY car is MY personal property and MY business. Uber has ZERO right to say what I can and can not do there. I am a big believer in private property rights. If you own the land you set the rules.

DrWu

Correct,but it is UBER's app. And I do not believe that an UBER poilicy regarding the issue of CCW is going to be the one requirement that pushes UBER over into "employer" status. Companies have the right to put restrictions on independant contractors. Whether one agrees to those restrictions or not. The right to the 2a is a given. The right to use UBER's app is not. ymmv Again, I respect any driver's decision to ignore UBER's policy. But the whining about it is not going to help nor should it be seen as some big 2A battle. It is not. Independant contractors have faced restrictions in court over what they can and can not do. This is no different except as seen through the lens of "thar takin arrr gnnnnnnnnnns"
Well there are three aspects of it that are concerning:

1. From the standpoint of an Uber driver - in Texas - This policy may turn off a lot of pax and stop them from using Uber simply because they're pissed off at Uber's stance.

2. It makes us the targets of criminals seeking easy prey - We're now marked as people who have no means of self defense and so are our pax. "Oh look there's a guy getting dropped off by Uber - Uber doesn't allow guns, so that guy doesn't have a gun, lets mug him!"

3. From the standpoint of someone who is pro 2nd amendment - anytime any company publicly comes forward with a policy like this - we lose. The resulting media attention makes gun owners look like a bunch of lunatics. It's weak companies bowing to pressure from an extremely vocal minority that pull shit like this and when it happens the anti-gunners win because it paints gun owners as being a fringe group of crazies. they win the media battle and that is important to our fight for 2nd amendment rights.

frndthDuvel

Well there are three aspects of it that are concerning:

1. From the standpoint of an Uber driver - in Texas - This policy may turn off a lot of pax and stop them from using Uber simply because they're pissed off at Uber's stance.

2. It makes us the targets of criminals seeking easy prey - We're now marked as people who have no means of self defense and so are our pax. "Oh look there's a guy getting dropped off by Uber - Uber doesn't allow guns, so that guy doesn't have a gun, lets mug him!"

3. From the standpoint of someone who is pro 2nd amendment - anytime any company publicly comes forward with a policy like this - we lose. The resulting media attention makes gun owners look like a bunch of lunatics. It's weak companies bowing to pressure from an extremely vocal minority that pull shit like this and when it happens the anti-gunners win because it paints gun owners as being a fringe group of crazies. they win the media battle and that is important to our fight for 2nd amendment rights.
Sorry, but as a gun owner of over 40 years, I believe there are plenty of current generation gun owners, many of those only gun enthusuasts since 2008,who make gun owners look wack! Like the Texas Open Carry movement. Carrying EBR's into restaurants is suppose to make gun owners seem reasonable? Oh,ok! Look like a target? If you feel the need to be constantly armed, you might want to move. However if you do live your life in fear have at it, to do what you feel you need to do. Feeling afraid does not prove the actual threat. I am not sure how many "typical" Texas gun owners use UBER. And those that do will probably do what many drivers do, ignore the policy and stay the @@@@ quiet about. Again, if you are fully satisfied with your abilities as a CCW holder, and use it the way it should be used. Nobody is going to know. This public angst is what makes many gun owners indeed look like the wacks that many are. YMMV The NRA has done a great job ramping up the fear and the profits of the gun industry.

Fauxknight

Except it's NOT their business. We are not employees, we are all our own business ie sole proprietors of said business. All uber is, is a company that provides an app. No different then Facebook.
This. All any driver is doing is paying for use of Uber's software. We the drivers are in the transportation business, not Uber, it is our companies transporting people, not Uber.