1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

New to Uber

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Sunflower, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Sunflower

Sunflower New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Hello all,
    I completed my defensive driving course today (already have my Class E license) and I was wondering if any NYC-based drivers could help me out before I move onto the next step(s)...

I finance a 2007 Mitsubishi Galant and would like to use this (my personal vehicle), rather than the option of uber-renting. I really don't know where to start as far as transitioning my vehicle.

Any recommendations on NYC TLC car insurance? I hear most ins. companies as for about 3 months payment upfront, is that true?

Also I overheard someone in the course today stating that he had to rent since he had a "2007"..which is what I have. Is car year an issue?

Another concern here is, since I have a Mon-Fri, 9-5 job, I wanted to have uber as an alternate source of income and I fear that with all the fees, insurance hikes, etc...I wonder if it's worth it, since I won't be driving as many hours as other fellow Uber drivers.

Last but not least...can anyone share their experiences with uber-renting vs. using their own car, in case it's the only option for me?

Thanks in advance!

2. Tesh

Tesh Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Uber only accepts cars that are 2011+ in nyc. So if your considering to rent, they start at $400+. Basically doing this job part time will barely make you profit.

3. Sunflower

Sunflower New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Figured as much. Thanks for your reply!

4. SP311

SP311 New Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    DONT RENT DRIVE YOU OWN CAR.
    You don't need to paid anything only you just need a tlc license, your nyc license and a regular credit. We provide everything.

Attached Files: