New to Uber

sterrettkj

Hey everyone, I'm just about two weeks near the end of my seasonal position and I'll be starting driving with Uber and probably Lyft as well to make ends meet until the position opens up again in August. I'm in Tucson, AZ and my plan is to work Wednesday-Sunday doing 10 hour days. Is it possible to make 1,600 a month with that plan?
Any other suggestions?

UberBeemer

I can't speak for earning potential in your market, but i can say, welcome to the Forum!

1600 a week used to be "easy" in my area, but times change, and rates have fallen. It is smart to sign up for both services. Increase your odds of earning more, and have a fall back in case of deactivation.

Good luck!

Taksomotor

Hey everyone, I'm just about two weeks near the end of my seasonal position and I'll be starting driving with Uber and probably Lyft as well to make ends meet until the position opens up again in August. I'm in Tucson, AZ and my plan is to work Wednesday-Sunday doing 10 hour days. Is it possible to make 1,600 a month with that plan?
Any other suggestions?
You gotta try and see, but let's say 50 hours a week, $20 an hour including all tips and incentives, before expenses, $1000 a week, $4000 a month - possible, I suppose. Also not all hours are equal.

Thancruz

Be sure to pace yourself on a 10 hour drive day. Don't get caught up in ratings, keep your car relatively clean, and just be cool on the road. ?

Bbonez

Give it a week, if you are not making enough money with those two platforms add a delivery service like grubhub. My guess is you will be able to meet your $1600 monthly goal.

KK2929

Any other suggestions?
------------------
Not familiar with your market but you will need to make a minimum of $80 / day - PROFIT- with Uber/Lyft. ( That is AFTER all of Ubers/Lyfts deductions and gas) That is putting a lot of pressure/stress on yourself. After you drive for a while, you will learn how much you need to drive. A lot of factors determine how much a driver will make. 10 hours /day sounds easy but it will eventually get old. Advice - do not go into debt where payments will depend on your ride share income. Uber/Lyft can deactivate you for no reason without an excuse.

Last edited:

FLKeys

Very market dependent, $1,600 per month gross before added expenses of using your car to drive daily is not completely unrealistic. Keep in mind you may be filling your gas tank a lot more and will have more maintenance expenses to make this $1,600 per month.

Taksomotor

In Boston this year I have been making $480 per week being online 19 hrs per week (gross take home before any expenses). I don't have any strategy, I work whenever I can get time for riding, usually early morning or late afternoon. I take most rides of any type. My acceptance rate is 80 to 100% weekly. My cancellation rate is close 0%. I never go to wait in the airport queue.

Merc7186

Just make sure to put money away for car repairs and not spend it all because if you dont, then you will be posting a new thread about how Uber ruined your car. (being serious here)

BigRedDriver

Any other suggestions?

Do you know what your rates are?

amazinghl

I would suggest sign up for GrubHub/DoorDash/Postmates as well.

I can easily make $1600 (before expenses) a month for about 80 hours of work doing GrubHub in Phonix, but I don't know Tucson's' market.

Don't forget to factor in tax and expenses!!

NoWhrMn

Working in Tucson (at least for the last 3 months) I have been getting $200 per week only doing 4-5 hrs at a time 3-4 night a week. I also do not drive the drunk shift. YRMV

Juggalo9er

Any other suggestions?
Anything is possible
Believe and you will achieve

tohunt4me

Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-16-13-31-26.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-13-31-26.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 44

Pax Hack

Know that gas is only one of your expenses. There is also taxes, insurance, cleaning supplies, phone (I had to increase my data), accessories. I bought a rubber bumper guard to protect my bumper from luggage, and some other rubber protection type stuff. You'll likely find all sorts of little things you need to do the job the way you want to. I bought seat back protectors for when kids kick the back of the seats. I bought heavy duty floor mats for muddy/sandy feet, spills and puke. You'll need supplies for cleaning up puke, too. I have tissues and wet wipes just to spot clean quick. I have a heavy duty moving blanket to protect my cargo area from scratches from when there is a wheel chair or walker in there. I have hospital grade puke bags. And there is no way I'd drive without my dash cam.

And a BIG expense is vehicle depreciation. My car loses over $200 a month in value with my current miles driven.

Everyone's setup is different. Some people aren't as concerned with protecting the car as much as I am. Some people don't have insurance in addition to what Uber and Lyft offer (not a good idea).

And there will be other things you'll find you want/need. I never thought about all this when I started 6 months ago. I never dreamed I'd need a dash cam for example. And you DO need a dash cam with forward facing, rear facing and audio. I recommend the Vantrue N2 Pro which you can find on Amazon. AND, I wrote into Vantrue after a month of use and told them how much I love my dash cam and they gave me my choice between 3 freebies. Good stuff too. I chose the GPS setup which shows my location and speed on the video.

Good luck and welcome!

tohunt4me

Know that gas is only one of your expenses. There is also taxes, insurance, cleaning supplies, phone (I had to increase my data), accessories. I bought a rubber bumper guard to protect my bumper from luggage, and some other rubber protection type stuff. You'll likely find all sorts of little things you need to do the job the way you want to. I bought seat back protectors for when kids kick the back of the seats. I bought heavy duty floor mats for muddy/sandy feet, spills and puke. You'll need supplies for cleaning up puke, too. I have tissues and wet wipes just to spot clean quick. I have a heavy duty moving blanket to protect my cargo area from scratches from when there is a wheel chair or walker in there. I have hospital grade puke bags. And there is no way I'd drive without my dash cam.

And a BIG expense is vehicle depreciation. My car loses over $200 a month in value with my current miles driven.

Everyone's setup is different. Some people aren't as concerned with protecting the car as much as I am. Some people don't have insurance in addition to what Uber and Lyft offer (not a good idea).

And there will be other things you'll find you want/need. I never thought about all this when I started 6 months ago. I never dreamed I'd need a dash cam for example. And you DO need a dash cam with forward facing, rear facing and audio. I recommend the Vantrue N2 Pro which you can find on Amazon. AND, I wrote into Vantrue after a month of use and told them how much I love my dash cam and they gave me my choice between 3 freebies. Good stuff too. I chose the GPS setup which shows my location and speed on the video.

Good luck and welcome!
" Other Rubber Protection Type Stuff " ?
Hmmmmmm . . .

Very Interesting . . .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-05-02-15-57.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-05-02-15-57.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_2019-04-05-02-13-18.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-05-02-13-18.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 50
Any other suggestions?
Post automatically merged:

You can do it. Just don’t stress otherwise it becomes too much. I do the Phoenix Glendale Peoria and surprise areas . If you look at my total hours you’ll see I don’t work too much in one day and never work late night . I know you can make more money late night but I hate driving drunks around . Good luck

Attachments

• B847C1E0-185E-437B-8D46-A42935E053A0.png
    B847C1E0-185E-437B-8D46-A42935E053A0.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 65

Columbian Harem

Any other suggestions?
Don't do it! RUN!