• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New to Uber Houston. Where are the am rides? Help!

msashley89

I'm probably the only person that started with lyft, then came to Uber later. I have a short window of time to drive 8-11am weekday mornings where should I go? I understand the airport is ridiculous and a waste of time for me being that I can't sit in line all morning. But where can I get a couple of rides? I haven't been "pinged" on either app much this week

Last edited:

msashley89

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I live in the katy area, but I travel all over Houston all the time for friends and other side jobs so I've been using the set destination feature if I find myself making a long trip to clear lake or the woodlands anticipating I might pick some people up on the way to my destination. I've only been doing it a week and I have only given a handful of rides. I guess I don't know where to start here

But the weekday mornings are going to be more consistent for me driving on a regular basis

msashley89

A false idea that I could be getting more rides? If that is the case then its worth me asking about it here where people could give me advice

Last edited:

UsedToBeAPartner

If there is actually something you could do to improve your ability to get a ride during such a bad time of day, why would anyone here tell you how to do it? You are a competitor to everyone on this board! You are driving during a dead time and it appears you live in Katy (bad) and looking for somewhere else to get a ping (reasonable). The last report I saw that was that 80+% of all pings are inside the 610 loop. Be there or be square!

msashley89

If there is actually something you could do to improve your ability to get a ride during such a bad time of day, why would anyone here tell you how to do it? You are a competitor to everyone on this board! You are driving during a dead time and it appears you live in Katy (bad) and looking for somewhere else to get a ping (reasonable). The last report I saw that was that 80+% of all pings are inside the 610 loop. Be there or be square!
I don't drive for Uber full time. I live in Katy but never dreamed of getting pings there. I stated that I travel from katy to Galveston and the woodlands frequently I try to pick up rides somewhere in the middle while I'm already driving. That was a comment responding to someone else. Initially I asked about mornings, unlike you and I guess the "competitors" here that don't want to share advice are living off these trips and need them more than I do. So my post isn't for them. Thanks

Galveston!! 24x7!! But your going to have to battle it out with darkshy77 :cool:
I go there every other weekend but I've never driven for Uber or lyft. I'll turn it on next time. Thanks

tootsie

I don't drive for Uber full time. I live in Katy but never dreamed of getting pings there. I stated that I travel from katy to Galveston and the woodlands frequently I try to pick up rides somewhere in the middle while I'm already driving. That was a comment responding to someone else. Initially I asked about mornings, unlike you and I guess the "competitors" here that don't want to share advice are living off these trips and need them more than I do. So my post isn't for them. Thanks

I go there every other weekend but I've never driven for Uber or lyft. I'll turn it on next time. Thanks
The hours you're talking try a hotel.

Last edited:

UberCadi

There's rides to be had everywhere at all times of the day. It's just your competing with 30-40,000 drivers in Houston (and that is NOT a blatant exaggeration - and it's probably well over 50,000 now). It's a flooded driver market. When the entry cost to Uber was $150+ that probably deterred 10-15,000 drivers that now signed up after they removed all TNC requirements. The new law affords anyone and everyone to just sign up whether they want to or not and there is no expense. You can be a crack head druggy with no record and can drive just enough to get your next fix. Just have a car and a drivers license and insurance (or documents that are fake enough to pass the camera test via the app - which I know is super easy).

As UsedToBeAPartner said. We are all competitors. Many on here are very nice people. And will help with general knowledge about Unering or provide feedback and a place to vent.

But, if you and I we're also in the lemonade stand business, I'll tell you how to make the best lemonade, but I sure as hell ain't going to tell you the best corners are to sit on and the time of day. That's just taking business away from me whether I'm selling it 1 hr a week or full time.

itsablackmarket

There's rides to be had everywhere at all times of the day. It's just your competing with 30-40,000 drivers in Houston (and that is NOT a blatant exaggeration - and it's probably well over 50,000 now). It's a flooded driver market. When the entry cost to Uber was $150+ that probably deterred 10-15,000 drivers that now signed up after they removed all TNC requirements. The new law affords anyone and everyone to just sign up whether they want to or not and there is no expense. You can be a crack head druggy with no record and can drive just enough to get your next fix. Just have a car and a drivers license and insurance (or documents that are fake enough to pass the camera test via the app - which I know is super easy).

As UsedToBeAPartner said. We are all competitors. Many on here are very nice people. And will help with general knowledge about Unering or provide feedback and a place to vent.

But, if you and I we're also in the lemonade stand business, I'll tell you how to make the best lemonade, but I sure as hell ain't going to tell you the best corners are to sit on and the time of day. That's just taking business away from me whether I'm selling it 1 hr a week or full time.
I'm the kind of person who will tell you where to go but not how to make the best lemonade. Because over time people will go to where the good stuff is.

msashley89

I guess it seems like I'm trying to absorb all these secrets and a hidden treasure chest lmao I was speaking in general, what are good areas at this time. From someone else's experience, maybe someone that isn't awake that early and knows more than I do could let me know. I tried to do my own research and this city is so big, and I know tons of people that can't get Lyft's or Uber's in the suburbs but I guess from what I'm reading it's because drivers don't want to sit around and wait hours for just one ride. I drop my kid off at pre k he's only there a couple hours, and I've been heading east on 10 towards downtown until I get a ping. Doing this I've only given like 4 rides all week but I understand it's a short window and a bad time I get it, I just thought I'd ask

Robnhud

I live in the katy area, but I travel all over Houston all the time for friends and other side jobs so I've been using the set destination feature if I find myself making a long trip to clear lake or the woodlands anticipating I might pick some people up on the way to my destination. I've only been doing it a week and I have only given a handful of rides. I guess I don't know where to start here

But the weekday mornings are going to be more consistent for me driving on a regular basis
Katy is usually good for airport trips between 4-6am. From Katy it's an easy $40 trip to IAH and $28 to Hobby.

Lelekm

With the new destination filter allowing you to set a destination and time you have to be there, you can set your son's pre-K location for 11:00am. Otherwise, you may have the app on at 10:30 and get a ping to IAH randomly, and then have to deal with canceling. At 8:00, if you are in midtown, or near Kirby/Shepherd/Allen Pkwy, you can possibly get back-to-back Uber X pings for short trips downtown as lots of folks head to work using Uber rather than pay for downtown parking. Keep in mind, these trips from 8:00 to 8:30 or 9:00 (if you're lucky) will be minimum fares. You can at least do that a few times to get your ride numbers up and your rating stabilized. It's like Groundhog Day - you'll pick someone up from an apartment or highrise along W. Dallas, Memorial, or Allen Pkwy, drop them off at the Wells Fargo building, and do the exact same trip three or four times in a row! Anything after 9:00am, hotels are your best bet as others have said. 8:00-11:00 are definitely slow hours once the morning work rush hour ends.

Fuzzyelvis

I guess it seems like I'm trying to absorb all these secrets and a hidden treasure chest lmao I was speaking in general, what are good areas at this time. From someone else's experience, maybe someone that isn't awake that early and knows more than I do could let me know. I tried to do my own research and this city is so big, and I know tons of people that can't get Lyft's or Uber's in the suburbs but I guess from what I'm reading it's because drivers don't want to sit around and wait hours for just one ride. I drop my kid off at pre k he's only there a couple hours, and I've been heading east on 10 towards downtown until I get a ping. Doing this I've only given like 4 rides all week but I understand it's a short window and a bad time I get it, I just thought I'd ask
In my opinion there are no good areas at that time and there is definitely no treasure chest.

msashley89

Your probably right. Today I was in the galleria area and caught a guy going to hobby at 9am but I'm going to continue because I have the window of time to kill

darkshy77

Galveston!! 24x7!! But your going to have to battle it out with darkshy77 :cool:
Stay off my Island especially with a hurricane coming in you know how bad it's going to surge!!!
Really inside the loop short fare all day...
Galleria downtown Midtown the heights Third Ward. Look for about 50 other Uber cars part next to them.

In my opinion there are no good areas at that time and there is definitely no treasure chest.
Are there still a few honey holes problem is like fishing fifty other people are sitting on them