New To Uber - All Tips Welcome

albs

Hey all :smiles:

Started the process of becoming a Uber X driver in Sydney. I have been a ghost member of this forum and would like to say that all posting members are very helpful.

I just wanted to see if there was any tips for someone starting to drive Uber as a fulltime job.

Cheers, Albs

EyesWIDEopen

Hi Albs...

Welcome to the beginning of the end lol...

Have you had some sort of concussion recently, perhaps slipped in the cool room at Dan Murphy's picking up a cold slab to enjoy at your farewell...???
This would indicate your choice as a full time boober driver... 70+ hours to make a living with no holiday, sick, super pay...

A ghost member... Sounds spooky...
So with all the posting members very helpful, I'd say that the training wheels are definitely off the scooter and it's full steam ahead... Choo choo... (I think I can I know I can :wink:)

Tips...
1# Mulder99...he's your go to guy...
2# Study tip 1#
3# Learn from tip 1#
4# Copy tip 1#
5# If in doubt, look up tip 1#

So there's my top 5 tips Albs...
Good luck and may the force be with you...

albs

Talk about getting me pumped to start driving Eyes! Ever thought of being a motivational speaker? Haha.

Everyone that I have spoken to has had the same reaction! ARE YOU CRAZY? Thing is I just left my job and need something quick smart to keep bringing in a income while job hunting.

My biggest fears are the obvious... I would be happy with $800-$900 a week whilst driving fulltime... Am I dreaming with a figure like that?

Also any idea on how long the process takes from sign up to driving?

Mulder99 - I will not forget that!

Thanks for your input mate :wink:

albs

Thanks for some very helpful input WTM. I'll definitely read up on both of those. I hate dealing with the incompetent RMS, looks like I have no choice!

Dhaw

Everyone that I have spoken to has had the same reaction! ARE YOU CRAZY? Thing is I just left my job and need something quick smart to keep bringing in a income while job hunting.

My biggest fears are the obvious... I would be happy with $800-$900 a week whilst driving fulltime... Am I dreaming with a figure like that?

Also any idea on how long the process takes from sign up to driving?

:wink:
Welcome Albs. Reading the forum you will find you can do hourly rates of $40 and up on occasion but if you factor in about $22 as a conservative average and multiply your hours you will see your weekly total is easily reached. MY biggest hitch was the RMS drivers authority. If you haven't nailed this down I suggest take all paperwork to the Paramatta office and get the desk staff to assess what you are doing. Your crim check can be done online in about a day and they will need this. What will you be driving? Good luck.

albs

Welcome Albs. Reading the forum you will find you can do hourly rates of $40 and up on occasion but if you factor in about $22 as a conservative average and multiply your hours you will see your weekly total is easily reached. MY biggest hitch was the RMS drivers authority. If you haven't nailed this down I suggest take all paperwork to the Paramatta office and get the desk staff to assess what you are doing. Your crim check can be done online in about a day and they will need this. What will you be driving? Good luck.

Hi Dhaw
Thanks for the tip. I know the RMS can be a pain in the backside when dealing with them so I'll get onto this tomorrow asap.
I will be driving my 2012 Ford Falcon FG. I get about 450-500kms out of a 65L tank. It's not the most fuel efficient car but my other option is my 2011 Mazda 2 Neo which is a very very small 4D car. I had a look into hiring a car but I am a bit nervous to be hiring a car prior to being on the road as a Uber X driver. I think once I learn the ropes I will be more inclined into getting a loan car for Uber.

EyesWIDEopen

Hi Dhaw
Thanks for the tip. I know the RMS can be a pain in the backside when dealing with them so I'll get onto this tomorrow asap.
I will be driving my 2012 Ford Falcon FG. I get about 450-500kms out of a 65L tank. It's not the most fuel efficient car but my other option is my 2011 Mazda 2 Neo which is a very very small 4D car. I had a look into hiring a car but I am a bit nervous to be hiring a car prior to being on the road as a Uber X driver. I think once I learn the ropes I will be more inclined into getting a loan car for Uber.
Albs, you seem like a nice guy...
But just to let you know that when it comes to the ladies, nice guys finish last...

Use the Mazda in the mornings driving pax to the airport and work. 9/10 single pax.
Use the Ford Fri nights and weekend work.
Down load 7/11 app and tweek it for fuel savings...
Don't get discouraged by cancellations, it builds character...
Take every request, there's often a diamond in the rough...
Have good music on hand, as music will sooth the savage beast...
Be honest and genuine to yourself and to your pax, you'll both appreciate it...

Btw, I've spent the last 20+ years motivating chefs to get the job done before a big service or function...

albs

Albs, you seem like a nice guy...
But just to let you know that when it comes to the ladies, nice guys finish last...

Use the Mazda in the mornings driving pax to the airport and work. 9/10 single pax.
Use the Ford Fri nights and weekend work.
Down load 7/11 app and tweek it for fuel savings...
Don't get discouraged by cancellations, it builds character...
Take every request, there's often a diamond in the rough...
Have good music on hand, as music will sooth the savage beast...
Be honest and genuine to yourself and to your pax, you'll both appreciate it...

Btw, I've spent the last 20+ years motivating chefs to get the job done before a big service or function...

See it's advice like that you cannot buy.
That's why I locked in my wife, I figured that out quickly haha.

Didn't even know you could register two cars with Uber. Wow I have so much information to digest! That sounds like a great tip though thank you! I will definitely look into that!

Ah spotify will come in handy then!

20+ years!!! Hats of to you!!

Howard Cammeray

Use the Ford Fri nights and weekend work....

I had no idea you could drive 2 different vehicles for Uber?
Is it just a matter of advising Uber and copying to them all the reggo and CTP and other insurance stuff?

Mulder99

Full time ubering is not easy...
Plus the pay on a hourly/average is below minimum wage when you factor in expenses.

Im full time and do 65-70 hours to make $2000 before expenses.

You need to put in long hours to reach that target and it wont happen immediately,
With experience on the roads, you can do it consistently...

If you serious about it, you check my previous posts which have heaps of tips which many have applied on this forum..

Put in the hours and do some research will get you there.

Here is a snap shot last 8 weeks

Screenshot_2017-09-04-08-14-18.png

UberSyd

Full time ubering is not easy...
Plus the pay on a hourly/average is below minimum wage when you factor in expenses.

Im full time and do 65-70 hours to make $2000 before expenses.

You need to put in long hours to reach that target and it wont happen immediately,
With experience on the roads, you can do it consistently...

If you serious about it, you check my previous posts which have heaps of tips which many have applied on this forum..

Put in the hours and do some research will get you there.

Here is a snap shot last 8 weeks

View attachment 154652

how many km's do you avg per week ? i dont do full time and still do about 1000km per week... im scared to think what your doing

Dr. Pax

I just left my job and need something quick smart to keep bringing in a income while job hunting.
My biggest fears are the obvious... I would be happy with $800-$900 a week whilst driving full time... Am I dreaming with a figure like that?
I was in your exact situation a couple months ago.

Driving Uber while looking for another job is great for several reasons:
  • You're not desperate and won't HAVE TO take the first job that comes your way to pay the bills.
  • You only need 3-4 hours/day (max.) to look/apply for jobs. If you do this like a mad man, 7-8hr/day, the quality of your applications drastically diminishes and the outcome is worse.
  • Driving for Uber clears your mind. Looking for a job is both stressful and "shameful". I know some people don't care, but I believe the vast majority don't like to brag about the fact they lost/left their job and are currently jobless. Once you are done with your morning shift, you'll be full of energy to apply for a couple of jobs and may even get some tips from PAX as to new directions to your career.
  • Knowing that Uber is a temporary FT occupation, you'll enjoy it a lot more, if you are happy to interact with strangers.
Reaching $1,000/week after Uber's cut is easy.
Do morning (7-9.30am) and evening (4.30-7.30pm) shifts on week days, and Friday/Saturday nights (or Saturday/Sunday days).
When I was in your situation, I was doing the weekday shifts and 1 weekend night shift, and was heading home as soon as I would reach $1,000. That was usually between 3 and 4am on Sunday morning.

All the best mate, and make the most of it. Networking is key, especially in your current situation. :wink:

Dhaw

Im averaging about 1800km per week
You are a driving fool! I doff my cap!:eek:

• Driving for Uber clears your mind. Looking for a job is both stressful and "shameful". I know some people don't care, but I believe the vast majority don't like to brag about the fact they lost/left their job and are currently jobless. Once you are done with your morning shift, you'll be full of energy to apply for a couple of jobs and may even get some tips from PAX as to new directions to your career.
  • Knowing that Uber is a temporary FT occupation, you'll enjoy it a lot more, if you are happy to interact with strangers.
Damn straight advice Dr Poof! Should be a sticky post!:p

EyesWIDEopen

Do 30 hours and you'll get your $900.
5 x 6 hour shifts, split into 3 morning peak and 3 evening peak - or as you please.

You will do well in your first 200 trips as Uber gives you a high priority, then after that you will drop unless your rating stays above 4.98 approx. (thats a theory).

Don't be demotivated by the general whinging and moaning that goes on here. Once you have completed your first year Ubering (if you last that long, as you said you were job hunting), you'll understand why the general consensus is so pessimistic.

Good luck, and meet up with those that try to meet whenever you have the time.
Do 30 hours and you'll get your $900.
5 x 6 hour shifts, split into 3 morning peak and 3 evening peak - or as you please.

You will do well in your first 200 trips as Uber gives you a high priority, then after that you will drop unless your rating stays above 4.98 approx. (thats a theory).
Interesting theory...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170705-153839.png
    Screenshot_20170705-153839.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 99