New to the whole shakedown racket.

KilroyEOD

So I’m new to the whole Rideshare game, but in my short time I’ve identified and written Uber on 2 things. The first was the fact they were Surging the secure part of the airfield at CLT that no drivers have access, to entice drivers to move towards the airport, but neither the queue nor passenger pickup area were ever surged. Therefore getting drivers where they wanted without up charging passengers and/or giving more money to drivers. Amazingly the week after I called them out the queue and pickup area were all of a sudden in the surge area during the same times I was tracking before. The second unethical thing I noticed very recently when I helped a passenger add a second destination to the airport and his phone said Uber was charging him a 1.3x surge, but after I dropped them off at the airport there was no surge on my fare details, but lo and behold Uber took home almost 50% of what the rider paid, disguised as service fees. Smoke and mirrors people.

Scott.Sul

So I’m new to the whole Rideshare game, but in my short time I’ve identified and written Uber on 2 things. The first was the fact they were Surging the secure part of the airfield at CLT that no drivers have access, to entice drivers to move towards the airport, but neither the queue nor passenger pickup area were ever surged. Therefore getting drivers where they wanted without up charging passengers and/or giving more money to drivers. Amazingly the week after I called them out the queue and pickup area were all of a sudden in the surge area during the same times I was tracking before. The second unethical thing I noticed very recently when I helped a passenger add a second destination to the airport and his phone said Uber was charging him a 1.3x surge, but after I dropped them off at the airport there was no surge on my fare details, but lo and behold Uber took home almost 50% of what the rider paid, disguised as service fees. Smoke and mirrors people.
Kudos for quickly identifying a couple of those "unethical" Uber behaviors and appropriately closing your post with "Smoke and mirrors people".

So with your new found knowledge and experience, how do you intend to proceed?

KilroyEOD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kudos for quickly identifying a couple of those "unethical" Uber behaviors and appropriately closing your post with "Smoke and mirrors people".

So with your new found knowledge and experience, how do you intend to proceed?
Well, the first issue has since been resolved without any direct response, but I’m still awaiting a response from the second issue. I’m guessing since I just discovered it, accidentally by the way since the passenger let me see their phone while I was assisting them, that I won’t get an immediate response, if any. If I still hear nothing by Tuesday I will try again. I also heard there was a service center in Charlotte to go to?? I’m assuming nothing will change on the latter due to the all powerful dollar and drivers just being oblivious to the ways the company is sifting more money from the passengers into their pockets rather than the drivers. Plus, the market is saturated with drivers with more and more joining each day so Uber could care less if I quit driving. I did just join Lyft and am doing much better. On a lighter note I was watching LivePD last night and an Uber Driver down in Columbia was involved in a drug arrest when he was outside a liquor store with drugs in his car. He still had his Uber Emblem in his windshield.

KilroyEOD

Passenger just sees a flat rate? Good luck!
Yep!! Other than my fare details that show they took almost 50% of what the passenger paid disguised as service fees, the only reason I saw he was being charged a 1.3x surge was because he didn’t know how to add a second destination. When we submitted the add destination there was a note at the bottom stating a 1.3x surge was being applied from the first pickup which I can understand because it was right at the end of the day in Uptown with rain coming down.

Failed Login

I've noticed the airport thing. There would be a $1.50 tiny orange surge bubble in the middle of the center runway. Crazy stuff. I wonder if several passengers on planes were readying their destinations for ride requests on some planes and it caused the systems to create surges. I saw it several times and I rarely look at the map outside of when I drive on Saturday nights. Hope you screen shot it.

dryverjohn

That strip by the airport that is always there is off of West street. Just saw on the news 3 people were shot over on West street recently. I think Uber wants us to get shot for a couple of extra bucks. I pulled in and out of the airport queue today after dropping someone off at the departures. I needed to use the facilities. Any idea what someone earns sitting in the airport lot on Uber X? I can't imagine that it pencils out well on hourly pay.

Wraiththe

Thought there were a bunch of factories and warehouses on the other side of the airport... those people may need rides.
surprised you would pull into the airport lot to use the facilities. They are getting better on and off, but you are basically stepping in piss, and sometimes the smell comes back when I am home and on the couch. It is debasing. Go to a Gas station.
Hopefully you are joking. You make nothing sitting in the lot. It is a chance to take a nap, detail your car, or eat.

SatMan

Thought there were a bunch of factories and warehouses on the other side of the airport... those people may need rides.
surprised you would pull into the airport lot to use the facilities. They are getting better on and off, but you are basically stepping in piss, and sometimes the smell comes back when I am home and on the couch. It is debasing. Go to a Gas station.
Hopefully you are joking. You make nothing sitting in the lot. It is a chance to take a nap, detail your car, or eat.
It's been that way in Chicago, ORD for a long time now.
upload_2018-8-21_15-11-59.png

KilroyEOD

Not working tonight but Uber is playing the airport queue like a violin. Throw a surge around the whole airport except at the queue or arrivals pickup area to get drivers over there without giving them extra money. At least Lyft was showing a 50% prime at the arrivals area for their drivers. Sorry for those driving for Uber at the airport tonight. They’re taking advantage of you!!

Attachments

dryverjohn

Just drive through the airport and pickup the surge, no problem. There is a whole group of people that manipulate the airport queue, I just never figured out what they are doing. I know it's something XL related, a lot of cheap minivans involved.

Failed Login

Good call Kilroy. But the even crazier story is.... that surge that is showing is $1.50. Guys driving from all over the city to get there to claim that $1.50.

Wraiththe

I wonder? Could this be representative of Surges on the PAX side??? Are we seeing a surge they have to pay, but we do not get to cash in on? Holy *&^%! I bet that is it. The pax often use the app before the plane gets to the gate. Which also gunks up the airport when drivers try to wait for them and park in the arrival zone for more than the allotted time.

KilroyEOD

So this happened this morning!! Just dropped off someone near the airport and saw a surge at the airport, actually in the queue area!! Why not??!! I said. Drove into the queue and no surge showing for next trip, 5 minutes later it disappeared. I stayed online for my next fare so Uber couldn’t say I went offline. Finished the trip and no surge added. So basically I drove into a surged area, never went offline nor rejected a trip, but surge never showed. Luckily I took a screenshot just in case. I wrote support and got a canned answer saying their records show that neither I nor my passenger was in a surged area and that I must remain online and not reject a trip. I quickly replied explaining I was in a surged area but it never showed up on my “Next Trip”. I also sent the screenshot thinking I got them!! I got the same exact canned answer and they marked my issue resolved.

Attachments

Bob Reynolds

So this happened this morning!! Just dropped off someone near the airport and saw a surge at the airport, actually in the queue area!! Why not??!! I said. Drove into the queue and no surge showing for next trip, 5 minutes later it disappeared. I stayed online for my next fare so Uber couldn’t say I went offline. Finished the trip and no surge added. So basically I drove into a surged area, never went offline nor rejected a trip, but surge never showed. Luckily I took a screenshot just in case. I wrote support and got a canned answer saying their records show that neither I nor my passenger was in a surged area and that I must remain online and not reject a trip. I quickly replied explaining I was in a surged area but it never showed up on my “Next Trip”. I also sent the screenshot thinking I got them!! I got the same exact canned answer and they marked my issue resolved.
Thanks for playing the Uber game. Tune in tomorrow for the next episode. Same Uber time, same Uber station.

dryverjohn

I was in the same surge area at dropoff today. I took a Lyft ride to the airport from Mooresville, looked at Uber, didn't get surge. Rebooted phone and surge disappeared.