• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New to rideshare

MaxL

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to Uber/Lyft and was wondering if anyone would be willing to hop on the phone to chat about their experiences, things they wish they knew, and pro tips. I am looking to drive and I figure this is the place to start. I'm trying to hear from as many people as I can!

If you prefer not to chat on the phone, but are willing to help out please leave a comment below as well! 🙏

Gods speed,
Max

Last edited:

goneubering

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to Uber/Lyft and was wondering if anyone would be willing to hop on the phone to chat about their experiences, things they wish they knew, and pro tips. I am looking to drive and I figure this is the place to start. I'm trying to hear from as many people as I can!

If you prefer not to chat on the phone, but are willing to help out please leave a comment below as well! 🙏

Gods speed,
Max
Welcome to the jungle. You have a wealth of information to read through in this forum. Don’t accept everything from Lyft and Uber as being in your best interest.

The best advice I can give you quickly is Time and Location are two keys to success but the pay is so low in most markets now that rideshare isn’t very profitable anymore. You missed the good times by about 4 years.

estore009

Hey guys,

Gods speed,
Max
Welcome! And tag me for help if any knowledge about dashcam!

TDR

Hey guys,

Gods speed,
Max
Take day by day, read, think, analyze info on you tube, forum, performing rides. Never give up. Always help. Smile. Polite. Positive.
And last you can ask me in forum, but better private link. Rideshare is not easy, but very possible. 👍
Post automatically merged:

Welcome to the jungle. You have a wealth of information to read through in this forum. Don’t accept everything from Lyft and Uber as being in your best interest.

The best advice I can give you quickly is Time and Location are two keys to success but the pay is so low in most markets now that rideshare isn’t very profitable anymore. You missed the good times by about 4 years.
How much money do you need???

DG80

Hey guys,

Gods speed,
Max
I would suggest getting on the local city page on fb.

Alantc

Hey guys,

Gods speed,
Max
I live in a collage town, I take them to their bars and house parties, then go home around 12:30 to avoid the drunks and stress of someone maybe puking or destroying my car in some way.then go back out in the morning. To take the walk of shames home. With loosing the old surge prices ,it doesn't pay to take drunks home anymore. Plus with lyft you half to show a cleaning receipt that someone cleaned your car , when someone gets sick, to get reimbursed

KK2929

Very simple job. Learn basics, which takes under 1 hour and the rest will be experience. Remember, Ride Share is not a limo service. Don't let the pax take advantage of you or your time. Also, the GPS has a lot of flaws. Its' directions are not "the law ". Don't let it take you to an intersection with 6 lanes and no stop light and direct you to turn left. :smiles:
As stated previously, check the section for Chicago. Those drivers are familiar with your area.

welikecamping

Max, I feel your pain. When I started rideshare with Lyft, I went to the orientation and afterward, spoke to the "trainer". I asked her if it was possible to have an experienced driver accompany me on a ride to make sure I was doing it right. She gave me the weirdest look and kinda sorta said "sure", but definitely sending the body language signal of NFW.

So, I never got that check ride, and I just dove into the deep end. I came up swimming and I haven't looked back since. My advice, wait until you are ready to take that first ride, then just go for it. It will be cool at first, you will make mistakes, you will have fun, and then you will get a 1* and you think your world is over, and you will be getting a note about deactivation from Uber.

Follow this forum, you can find real gems of advice, but don't buy into the negativity too much. You will decide for yourself if this gig is something you want to do. Good luck - especially driving in Chicago.

rkozy

you will get a 1* and you think your world is over, and you will be getting a note about deactivation from Uber.
Who thinks a 1* is the end of the world? I got two in one week, and laughed about it. Plus, Uber said nothing about deactivating my account when it happened. In fact, they send me e-mails every week asking me to share advice on how to treat riders because my driver rating is higher than average. I never respond. The ratings system is total BS.

Passengers can be real a*holes, and some will take out their frustrations on an underpaid ride share driver. I don't take it personally. If getting deactivated by Uber is your idea of the world ending, how can you possibly watch the evening news without having an emotional breakdown?

KK2929

Max, I feel your pain. When I started rideshare with Lyft, I went to the orientation and afterward, spoke to the "trainer". I asked her if it was possible to have an experienced driver accompany me on a ride to make sure I was doing it right. She gave me the weirdest look and kinda sorta said "sure", but definitely sending the body language signal of NFW.

So, I never got that check ride, and I just dove into the deep end. I came up swimming and I haven't looked back since. My advice, wait until you are ready to take that first ride, then just go for it. It will be cool at first, you will make mistakes, you will have fun, and then you will get a 1* and you think your world is over, and you will be getting a note about deactivation from Uber.

Follow this forum, you can find real gems of advice, but don't buy into the negativity too much. You will decide for yourself if this gig is something you want to do. Good luck - especially driving in Chicago.
-------------------------
Ha !!! The instructors at the centers are the last to ask for advice. Most have little experience driving. I once listened to an
"instructor " talking to six new drivers. She made so many mistakes from telling them that the airport permit was only needed for pickups ( that is a $1,000 fine at LAX if a driver picks up or drops off without a permit) to stating that the Lyft logos can be removed because the Lyft Amp light was all that was needed. Another $1,000 fine in Calif.
When Uber opened their help center in W. L.A. most of those support reps were hired in through an agency and NONE were drivers.

MaxL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey welikeCamping, thanks for the information! Who are these trainers that you are referring to?
Post automatically merged:

-------------------------
Ha !!! The instructors at the centers are the last to ask for advice. Most have little experience driving. I once listened to an
"instructor " talking to six new drivers. She made so many mistakes from telling them that the airport permit was only needed for pickups ( that is a $1,000 fine at LAX if a driver picks up or drops off without a permit) to stating that the Lyft logos can be removed because the Lyft Amp light was all that was needed. Another $1,000 fine in Calif.
When Uber opened their help center in W. L.A. most of those support reps were hired in through an agency and NONE were drivers.
Hey KK, I appreciate your feedback. Are the instructors the individuals that work for Uber and Lyft at the Greenlight Districts?

welikecamping

Hi Max, perhaps "trainer" is too generous. Remember back in your early days when you got that new job and you had to go to orientation? And the person delivering that orientation wore all the flair and was totally a droid?

Well, that is close to what this was like. Essentially a 30-minute pep-talk by an experienced driver where they showed us the "New Driver Book", that had all the answers to our questions, and they walked through each page of the book ad nauseam.

Truth be told, I've got better information from this forum. Stick around, pay attention - but don't buy into the negativity too much, sometimes it's a little overdone.