New to Houston

munson

i am new to Houston and in the last 2 weeks have given uber a try for something to do at night part time.

It does give me an opportunity to get out of the house but doesn't seem very profitable.

Is uber just overloaded with drivers?

Say you drive for 3-4 hours on a Friday night. What are people making money wise??

I've been out on a Friday and literally get nothing for an hour and then get one and it's a $5 ride.

Maybe I just haven't learned the tricks yet and don't know Houston well.

Any feedback?

Cousinzent

I don't drive at nigh so I'm no help... I sit in the house and wait for pings so I'm not wasting my time or kill g my car... I drive pt dire I g the week from 5-7 and make about 35-50 really depends!! This morning 2 trips almost $80 and I'm done ... I do it for a few extra $$$ and I never go looking for rides

Kmiles

After 9pm, Friday and Saturday nights are a bust. There are too many drivers and the guarantees are worthless. Your odds of getting a decent fare are very low. The seasoned driver's are already positioned where the good fares are and ignoring certain areas.

mausibaer

My Friday nights (9pm-3am) are typically around. $60-70. Got really lucky last night and made $150-ish. Very little dead time and the majority of my fares were over $10.

....which means I'll make peanuts tonight.

munson

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't drive at nigh so I'm no help... I sit in the house and wait for pings so I'm not wasting my time or kill g my car... I drive pt dire I g the week from 5-7 and make about 35-50 really depends!! This morning 2 trips almost $80 and I'm done ... I do it for a few extra $$$ and I never go looking for rides
I'm in Missouri city. I have picked up 2 people from here to Houston and those seem to be the most profitable.

munson

So is everyone driving around Houston or in the suburbs? Which is the better move or is it just hit or miss??

I assume waiting for the bars to close is where u can get rides. What about events? Do u wait around there (Astros, concerts, etc)

tripAces

So is everyone driving around Houston or in the suburbs? Which is the better move or is it just hit or miss??

I assume waiting for the bars to close is where u can get rides. What about events? Do u wait around there (Astros, concerts, etc)
I won't tell you what is better since we are competitors. But will say that one day could be a bust but the next a gold mine at different times.

And most follow the Uber map showing the Stadiums, downtown and midtown. So since that is widely known I can say that.

munson

Maybe I will try that. I think just driving around is not productive.

I've gotten some nights where u do 7 rides but not even figuring in expenses I made like $8 and hour. Ha

tripAces

I go and sit in a area. You may see others driving around with no pax but thats reducing their miles. Remember 150k max. Most think this is a job. Alot are part timers. And myself I have no other so this is my business for now.

munson

I go and sit in a area. You may see others driving around with no pax but thats reducing their miles. Remember 150k max. Most think this is a job. Alot are part timers. And myself I have no other so this is my business for now.
So the better strategy is to sit and wait. They key is just finding the right area

cogtx

I'm in Missouri city. I have picked up 2 people from here to Houston and those seem to be the most profitable.
You will get rides in the Missouri City area...just start from home and wait for a ping. HCC and UofH sugar land kids need rides nearby as well as apartments...also, best time for Bush IAH run is 3-4pm weekdays where the fares will be around $60, but the traffic is a mess...much luck!!!

munson

You will get rides in the Missouri City area...just start from home and wait for a ping. HCC and UofH sugar land kids need rides nearby as well as apartments...also, best time for Bush IAH run is 3-4pm weekdays where the fares will be around $60, but the traffic is a mess...much luck!!!
Thanks for the info

munson

So based on your location how far of a radius around u will uber send u ride requests.

Say I'm just sitting at home waiting

Thanks

cogtx

So based on your location how far of a radius around u will uber send u ride requests.

Thanks
That's a very good question...from the calculations I've done with my location and the distance to the pings, somewhere up to 6 miles. Open a google map and determine the 6 mile radius from your location to get some idea of the areas which may provide decent rides. If you must get out and drive around, there a several public libraries in the area you can hang out in the a/c and surf the net while waiting for pings.

Fuzzyelvis

Thanks
Depends on who else is online. I've turned on my app at 3am from Sugar Land just for sh*ts and giggles and got pinged from Rosenberg. But there are more drivers now. It's different now because there are now drivers IN Rosenberg at weird hours.

If you live in a surge zone you can sit at your house. If you're in the suburbs it's hard to justify driving into town anymore and I won't drive for $1.10 a mile (before uber's cut). So I've only driven one Saturday night recently and just surges.

Guarantees are becoming more miss than hit. I'm in a holding pattern unless it picks up soon which hopefully it will. But I have 2 other part time jobs.