• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

new to akron, im wondering how much do drivers in akron make per hour?

Michael - Cleveland

new to akron, im wondering how much do drivers in akron make per hour?
If you're getting paid by the hour, then I want to know how you signed up for that. If you are driving Uber X, you are earning somewhere around $0.60 a mile and ~$0.08/min while on an active ride.

Only you can calculate your hourly earnings based on how many hours you drive and how much you earn for the ride to do during that time.

If you drive for 1 hour and do one ride in that hour that pays you $25 then you will have made $25 an hour. But if you only get one $25 ride and have been out driving for 3 hours then you are going to be earning only $8.33/hr.

As you can see, hourly earnings doesn't mean anything. Hourly wages are how employees think . It's how people who are used to working for someone else look at their earnings.

When you operate your own business, you don't think in terms of hourly wages . You think in terms of profitability. What matters is how much you earn what it cost you to earn it. You have to figure out what your actual operating expenses are including your car maintenance, repair and fuel and you have to determine what your time is worth. Then you can make a decision about whether it's worth it to drive it all.

Last edited:

Michael - Cleveland

There are lots of reasons not to drive in areas that are not as safe as others. But can you give me an example of how not driving in "the hood" would effect hourly earnings?

There are lots of reasons not to drive in areas that are not as safe as others. But can you give me an example of how not driving in "the hood" would effect hourly earnings?
In my experience the riders were using rideshare to run errands. One lady I picked up had two stops. One stop was a nail shop and another was a fast food restaurant. Then she went back home. It took almost an hour and only paid me six dollars. Several other trips were similar to this so I just stopped picking up in certain areas after that.

Michael - Cleveland

Yep, I've had that also. That's a good example, and is definitely common. Thanks.

I feel badly for people that could really use Rideshare services for things like running errands. But they don't seem to understand that drivers just aren't going to do it without the prospect of a decent tip to make up for the money we lose during waiting times.

Roger in Canton

In my experience the riders were using rideshare to run errands. One lady I picked up had two stops. One stop was a nail shop and another was a fast food restaurant. Then she went back home. It took almost an hour and only paid me six dollars. Several other trips were similar to this so I just stopped picking up in certain areas after that.
That doesn't make sense? The rate for your time alone should have been over $6/hour!

I
That doesn't make sense? The rate for your time alone should have been over $6/hour!
I understand your confusion and I should of been more specific. I said it was almost an hour. The trip lasted forty minutes but it took me fifteen minutes to get to the pickup due to traffic even though the app said six minutes when I accepted. I had to wait another two minutes for her to come out of the apartment. So all together it was close to an hour and I made the minimum fare on mileage. Other trips I tried in the very poorest of neighborhoods were similar. Including a pickup from Marc's grocery store where the lady had two carts of groceries and only needed a ride 1.5 miles away. I contacted support about these rides and support told me riders are not supposed to be using our vehicles as hauling devices and that stops were meant to drop off and pick up passengers not wait for people to run errands. I no longer pickup at grocery stores and I do not wait for people to run errands but they shouldn't be doing it in the first place without giving a cash tip beforehand.

nouberipo

tips.......hood riders don't tip while other neighborhoods have a much higher chance of resulting in tips.

Aaron k

If someone asks me torun into. The store or go to a fastfood i tell them they have 5 min. And to take all there stuff with them . This usualy lets them know that im not waiting more then 5 min.

DonkeyWheel

It’s about time spmeone had the cajoles to tell it like it is. STAY AWAY from the hood at all costs. You’d be surprised to see how good it feels to stop banging your head against the wall!

JoeD16

People in poorer areas are always doing multiple stops in busy inner city neighborhoods and the fares are for only a few bucks and it takes awhile to do and you know this because you've been driving for awhile so I'm curious as to why you are playing stupid. Not to mention the other unpleasant issues that often arise during these fares

Michael - Cleveland

People in poorer areas are always doing multiple stops in busy inner city neighborhoods and the fares are for only a few bucks and it takes awhile to do and you know this because you've been driving for awhile so I'm curious as to why you are playing stupid. Not to mention the other unpleasant issues that often arise during these fares
You're right - I have been driving for awhile. I just find that I get almost just as many pain-in-the-butt rides from the wealthy hoods as I do the poor hoods. Different stuff, for sure, but just as annoying. The only difference I see is that I feel safer in the the 'better' neighborhoods - part of that is reality, but part is also my own prejudice. And contrary to @nouberipo, my experience with tipping is pretty much the same everywhere (ie: not what it was before the in-app option) - but I get as many tippers in bad-hood as good-hood.

Mitch J.

Here’s what I’ve learnt. The richer the person the poorer the tipper. Just seems to me that the average 9to5er tips better than Richie Rich that lives in a half million dollar house. Just sayin. 2 nights ago a took a lady to East whatever and Kinsman she just got off work and tipped me $7. I was flabbergasted.

Michael - Cleveland

It’s about time spmeone had the cajoles to tell it like it is. STAY AWAY from the hood at all costs. You’d be surprised to see how good it feels to stop banging your head against the wall!
yup - Beachhood, Pepper Pikehood, Fairlwnhood, Medinahood... these people make you wait forever, their kids try to jam 7 people in your sedan and they never tip.

simbaa

One thing I like to do is, when I finish the ride, I ask the rider to see their phone. Well, actually I don't ask, I tell them, "Give me you phone." Then, I go to the Uber app, rate myself a 5 and give myself a fat tip. I've notice that really helps my hourly rate.

One thing I like to do is, when I finish the ride, I ask the rider to see their phone. Well, actually I don't ask, I tell them, "Give me you phone." Then, I go to the Uber app, rate myself a 5 and give myself a fat tip. I've notice that really helps my hourly rate.
I'm surprised people allow you to do this. I have never asked for anyone's phone before but it seems risky.