Uber Drivers Forum banner

New surprise at TIA ( new for ME anyway ..... )

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  MikiG 
#1 ·
I have never been one to hang out at TIA - I could never see much point in waiting over an hour for a MAYBE ride that can potentially go anywhere. I always drop off then leave TIA and head off to Dale Mabry - take my chances away from the airport.

So yesterday I drop off - the Uber program automatically tries to put me in the cue - I log off, drive out of the area - and when I log in again on Cypress and Lois this time, it automatically puts me BACK in the airport line. Never did that before/ It appears they have added a second " official " waiting lot ? South of, and off the premises of, the airport grounds. It showed up on the Uber map for the first time. I had to go to Cypress and Himes - to get out of the inclusion zone. What a pain-in-the-ass. And there are hotels along Kennedy, along Cypress, along Spruce - now I I have to miss out on THOSE ?

The only thing I didn't check / verify - if you're only near the airport - but didn't drop off there - does it automatically suck-you-in ?

We need to be able to opt OUT of airport system at-will, but still stay in the surrounding area to get people downtown, to the convention center, hospitals, the universities, etc.

#3 ·
That may or may not be true - I'll take your word for it until it's proven otherwise.

Now here's the deal for me - If I'm doing my driving in the noon - to - 6 PM slot as I often do during the week.Me I oftrn get someone leaving the downtown or chanbelside area to catch a 5 PM flight out of Tampa - heading home - or getting to another city ( the night before ) - for business.My being automatically placed in airport queue PREVENTS me from setting a destination to head toward home. Brandon / Seffner area. Last thing I want at 5 PM is to get sucked into a trip in the opposite direction - Clearwater beach, Tarpon springs etc.

#6 ·
Uber is finally doing something about the cherry pickers at the airport, I’ve seen people get a ping and refused rides because they either weren’t going in the direction the driver wanted to go, or turning down short trips. I’ve seen drivers just sit at the lot waiting for a ping, accepting it and wait for the pax to cancel to collect the cancellation fee, these are the phone holders who don’t work as drivers, but take up valuable parking spaces.

#7 ·
Airport is only worth it when the qué is below 40 drivers. The secondary airport zone will still allow you to get pings locally, it also allows drivers who do airport trips to get fuel at the shell gas station on the corner of westshore next to the strip club without leaving the qué.

Also the reason you get a back to back ping after dropping someone off at the airport is because of the algorithm change. Lyft has something similar where if your dropping someone off they will give you another trip. It's to save time for passengers so you don't have to drive back to the lot.

Airport trips can bring some good fares in. I only go when the qué is low and I always get 10-30$ trips. Averaging around 20$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.