• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New Snow Tire Law in effect

DriverMark

First I heard of this. Get those tires if you have FWD. Recommend snow tires on any car though if plan to drive in the weather.

dlearl476

IMHO, you’d be an idiot not to have good M+S tires on your car in the winter here. For extreme days, I have studded snow tires on my ML500.

Scared the crap out of some “Flatlanders” during the Sundance Film Festival a couple of years ago. That thing is invincible in snowstorms.

DriverMark

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMHO, you’d be an idiot not to have good M+S tires on your car in the winter here. For extreme days, I have studded snow tires on my ML500.

Scared the crap out of some “Flatlanders” during the Sundance Film Festival a couple of years ago. That thing is invincible in snowstorms.
HAHA..... that's hilarious. "Flatlanders"...... I've been impressed with my Mazda3 with the snowtires. Thing is BEAST.

Had one snow evening. Coming down from Silver Lake down Marsac, and had to go up Orleans Ave near the roundabout. That is a crazy steep hill. Stopped at the bottom, looked at the lady next to me, said "think we will make it?" ..... gassed it and up we went. To be honest I wasn't sure we would LOL. But we did.

I might get an extra set of studs for our van this winter. If I can find some cheap rims to put them on so I can just take them on/off myself whenever seems a heavy storm coming. Will see though. Maybe I'll check the junkyard. Extra expense but probably worth it.

dlearl476

Maybe I'll check the junkyard. Extra expense but probably worth it.
I bought a set of wheels for my Mercedes 4x4 for $400 (with a set of Michelin summer tired I’ve run for two summers, and probably get 1-2 more out of them)

I buy all my tires at Discount tires. They charge $80 ($20/per) to dismount/remount summer/winter tires. They swap the mounted tires for free spring and fall. I figure the extra set of wheels has paid for itself by now.

MissAnne

I got new tires today, needed them badly anyway, the M&S tires are not the kind you need, they must have the snowflake on them ... if you slide out or cause an accident during inclement weather, it’s a $1000 fine if you don’t have the snowflake on your tires.

dlearl476

I got new tires today, needed them badly anyway, the M&S tires are not the kind you need, they must have the snowflake on them ... if you slide out or cause an accident during inclement weather, it’s a $1000 fine if you don’t have the snowflake on your tires.
If you can swing it, buy a set of summer tires next April-ish. You can get a spare set of rims at a junkyard for ~$100 and have them mounted on those and Discount tire will swap them spring and fall for free. If you don’t have them mounted, they charge you $80 to dismount/mount them.

If you use your softer compound winter tires only in winter/cold weather, they will last 4-5 years.

ETA: Woops, just saw it was just you and I up in here.:biggrin:

Last edited: