• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

new services agreement in toronto

jhrr1968

Do you guys fallow Toronto? Look up that according to that Uber is not responsible for nothing happens in any ride and you are in your own. So Uber is bigger scan

Pete06

Your not making any sence.
That is fairly common on sub contractor terms, you screw up your own your own its not the primary companies fault.

Pete06

I have done sub contract work for many years in a different field. That is all pretty standard stuff I don't know why people are surprised or getting bent out of shape. That is what insurnace is for....hopefully newer policies will be available in the first quarter of 2016 that make it worth financially to drive for Uber. I'm being told its going to model what CA has, a hybrid policy, and that isn't running much more then what a private policy costs.

chi1cabby

That is all pretty standard stuff I don't know why people are surprised or getting bent out of shape.
You keep saying that's this is pretty standard stuff.
  • Have you been a subcontractor where the job contract required specific Insurance Coverage, you didn't have the required coverage, the contracting party knew you didn't have that coverage and still signed you on while pretending to the world that everything was okay with the Insurance?
  • Have you signed contracts where you couldn't resolve dispute in a Canadian court of law?

Pete06

Yes...and the specific insurnace was obtained. I am in agreement that Uber didn't have proper coverage and I'm glad it's shut down till the 1 St quarter of 2016 when the proper coverage can be purchased. Was too much of a liability for me.
The same will happen in Ontario and probably BC as well.

Any dispute can be brought forward in court. Meaning anyone can be named as a defendant. Small claims in AB now are up to 50,000 even. If your suggesting that because Uber has off shore are exempt for any legal proceedings your mistaken. That would be like saying Apple can't be sued because they aren't a Canadian company.

Pete06

No I did...I guess I don't agree completely with everything I read. All depends on the circumstances where legal action would be needed vs resolving through other means.

Canada isn't like USA where everyone sues everyone, the legal system is much different.

Bobby Loblaw

The Agreement takes away Canadian Drivers right to resolve disputes in a Court of Law.

Obviously you didn't read the thread.
It's too bad they don't seem to take you seriously. They have no experience dealing with a company like Uber. I applaud Calgary for their stance and not allowing Uber to operate while requirements are put in place. I only wish that more cities and or governing bodies had stood up and were counted for the benefit of their constituants instead of succumbing to public pressure. It comes down to which is more important to these cities "safety" or "popularity". It does provide a barometer of which cities have integrety and are truly doing their jobs. One further item which points to Calgarys' integrety and I did hear this second hand so unsue as to it's validity, they Turned Down a Ssizeable Donation tht would allow Uber to operate.

riko

Dear uber drivers be aware when you accept new terms from 29 december!
If you read you will notice that uber is making you take all responsibility to have proper insurance.
And in the other hand there is no insurance broker who will issue commercial insurance for uber.
If accident happens YOU are responsible! This can cost you BIG $.....
Don't accept. They need to fix for uber drives special insurance policy. And until then THEY should be responsible.
I Support uber drivers, and uber is so greedy that doesn't care for them!
For less than a minimum wage your risking BIG TIME!

Pete06

That's not true on no insurnace broker not issuing a commercial insurance for Uber..lots will I had multiple quotes. Cheapest though was 3500.

Last edited:

HEM66

Let me get this correct so we shouldn't accept this new agreement? Is this the same thing as opting out from the agreement in the states.

chi1cabby

Let me get this correct so we shouldn't accept this new agreement? Is this the same thing as opting out from the agreement in the states.
Drivers will have to Accept & Agree to this new Agreement, in order to continue to drive for Uber_Canada.

Canadian Drivers cannot opt-out of any provision of the Agreement, unlike in The U.S. where Drivers can opt-out of the Binding Arbitration Provision within 30 Days of accepting the Agreement.

Adrasteia

4 monthly ago, UBER Canada used to lie to drivers saying: "Whatever misfortune happened and won't be covered by personal insurance policy, they go to UBER's world class premium coverage." Now the new agreement goes blatant, driver is 100% on your own.

Without insurance, don't know who wants to drive.

MeekloBraca

4 monthly ago, UBER Canada used to lie to drivers saying: "Whatever misfortune happened and won't be covered by personal insurance policy, they go to UBER's world class premium coverage." Now the new agreement goes blatant, driver is 100% on your own.

Without insurance, don't know who wants to drive.
Also it gives the impression drivers are on the hook for fines.