New Service Doing Household Tasks - TAKL Launches July 18, 2016

grams777

Author
This new service called TAKL launches tomorrow starting in Nashville. It's similar to Task Rabbit. Supposedly they want to roll it out later across the country and beyond.

http://www.takl.com/

A news story about it:

http://wkrn.com/2016/07/14/new-app-created-in-nashville-will-help-you-tackle-chores-projects/

It's like uber for doing stuff around the house. Using an app, they match you up to clean people's bathrooms, mow their lawn, etc. The lowest prices jobs seem to be around $50 and go up to about $200. The idea is anything under 2 hours and $200. The jobs appear to be handyman type ones that don't generally require special licenses.

They said they signed up almost 4,000 providers already.

While it could be a good idea, there are some downsides - some perhaps serious.

1) 4,000 providers seems like way too many. I mean, what, now 4 people on every street corner waiting to clean the next bathroom?

2) Their take is 39%. They take 30% commission plus a 9% service fee. You are also charged 2.99 per month I think each month you do at least one task. Commissions are lower if someone favorites you or you add on a job to an existing one. Then the commission is between 10-20% instead of 30%. That commission seems steep since you're doing all the work, furnishing the tools and supplies, and assuming all the risk personally as well as indemnifying the company.

3) The person doing the work assumes all the risk! There is no insurance. If you hang a picture and it hits a child on the head, or you knock a water hose loose, someone trips over you and cracks their head open, or you screw something up, or whatever, it's on you. The company only assumes liability up to the amount paid for the job.

You specifically indemnify the company as well. That means if something goes wrong, and you and the company get sued, you can have to pay for your costs and pay back takl for getting sued as well. This could be much worse than just doing jobs on your own. Now, you are not only responsible for your defense but another company as well. If the customer is going after them for their deep pockets, that's a big potential weight added around your neck.

18. Provider Provisions

a. Insurance. As a Provider, you acknowledge and agree that it is your responsibility to maintain in full force and effect adequate workers' compensation (or, if permitted by law, occupational accident insurance), unemployment, liability, and other forms of insurance with policy limits sufficient to protect and indemnify Takl and its affiliates, and each of their officers, directors, agents, employees, subsidiaries, partners, members, controlling persons, and successors and assigns, from any losses resulting from the conduct, acts, or omissions of you or your assistants, agents, contractors, servants, or employees.

Representations. By providing Services as a Provider on the Takl Platform, you represent, warrant, and agree that: (i) you are solely responsible for obtaining the necessary licenses for performance of the Services or Additional Services; (ii) you will not transfer or sell your User account, password and/or identification to any other party; (iii) you will be solely responsible for any and all liability that results from or is alleged as a result of your provision of Services, including, but not limited to personal injuries, death and property damages; (iv) you will comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations while providing Services, and you will be solely responsible for any violations of such provisions; (v) you will pay all applicable federal, state and local taxes based on your provision of Services and any payments received by you; and (vi) you will not attempt to defraud Takl in connection with your provision of Services or Additional Services.
http://www.takl.com/terms-of-use/

Really? They get 40%, I do all the work, furnish the tools and supplies, and take all the risk....seems a little greedy to me. The least they could do is include insurance if they're taking 40%. Of course, you could get handyman insurance but it will cost you about $1,000 a year; however, it may not cover the indemnification of takl. That could be a separate issue since it would need to have them added as an additional insured added to your policy.

$1,000 or so a year for insurance may be affordable if you have enough work to make it worthwhile. But with them taking 40% and 4,000 others competing to hang your neighbors picture on the wall, I'm not sure if it would make sense.

What does Takl cover...well, only the amount they were billed for the job. That's their express liability limit. The 9% extra they charge goes for this. They throw the provider under the bus for everything else. I'm not sure I'd feel good as a homeowner either knowing there's basically no insurance for anything going wrong. Furthermore, the providers are not tested for their skills. They can match to whatever job they think they can do.

a platform fee of up to nine percent (9%), which is used to offset the expense of providing you the Takl Guarantee...​

The amount of the Takl Guarantee is limited to any payment you made for the Service. The Takl Guarantee does not apply to any other cost, liability, damage, injury, or claim arising from or in connection with the Services. To be clear, the Takl Guarantee does not apply to any payments made for Services not scheduled through the Takl Platform. THIS SECTION STATES TAKL'S SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE LIABILITY, AND CUSTOMER'S SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY, FOR ANY DAMAGES OR CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES.

Compare that to Task Rabbit. Task Rabbit only charges an extra 5% rather than 9% and also provide $1 million in coverage - not just the $50-200 for the job! This is a big imbalance in my opinion on the part of Takl taking twice as much on the service fee while providing basically nothing. Frankly, I find this aspect of Takl to be very unfair to put it kindly.

What is the “TaskRabbit Guarantee”?
TaskRabbit will compensate (a) Users up to USD 1,000,000 per occurrence for Losses arising from (i) Property Damage as a direct result of negligence of a Tasker during performance of a Task; or (ii) Bodily Injury sustained by a Client, another Tasker or a third party as a direct result of negligence of a Tasker during performance of a Task, or (b) Clients up to USD 10,000 per occurrence for Losses arising from Theft of Client’s, another Tasker’s or a third party’s property by a Tasker during performance of a Task, in each case if a Claim is brought within fourteen (14) days of the action giving rise to the Claim.​

https://www.taskrabbit.com/trust-and-safety
https://www.taskrabbit.com/guarantee

That's about it for now. I'm signed up, but I don't know if it's going to pan out due to some of these problems. The biggest problem seems to be just having too many people. 4,000 seems like overkill to me. I'm sure people will be all over it, but they might not be thinking it through.

Last edited: