New Rideshare App, Anyone?

Sonny06

I thought about it a long time ago but at the end you have to understand that the competition is insane. You have the choice basically to get between 10% to 25% fees from the driver, or making a the driver pay a user fees like monthly, and the driver could get 100% of the fare rate.

For me in a business you have to be fair with the persons that working for the company, and not be to greedy.

but at the end you still need a support, and an emergency team in case of accident, assault from a driver etc. The spent part can be pretty huge.

This is a rough game at the end

kingcorey321

I have my own passenger list .
I found them doing ubers . They go 3 or more hours . We worked out a deal .
I turned the app off canceled the ride accepted cash . I do have my own rideshare insurance .

UberDerrick

I thought about it a long time ago but at the end you have to understand that the competition is insane. You have the choice basically to get between 10% to 25% fees from the driver, or making a the driver pay a user fees like monthly, and the driver could get 100% of the fare rate.

For me in a business you have to be fair with the persons that working for the company, and not be to greedy.

but at the end you still need a support, and an emergency team in case of accident, assault from a driver etc. The spent part can be pretty huge.

This is a rough game at the end
Would you switch to the new app, if it's available?

What would make you switch or not switch?
Post automatically merged:

I have my own passenger list .
I found them doing ubers . They go 3 or more hours . We worked out a deal .
I turned the app off canceled the ride accepted cash . I do have my own rideshare insurance .
How much do you pay for your own rideshare insurance and what company did you go with?

Would you switch to a new app that takes less cut, if one is available? Why or why not?

What state do you drive in?

Last edited:

Nats121

Rather than complain about the low pay, anyone ever thought of developing our own app that takes less cut of the fare?

Thoughts?
Yes, I've thought about it.

Uber's ultimate nightmare would be for the drivers to cut greedy parasite Uber out of the equation by offering our services directly to the public via a Craigslist type of format.

It could be done, but the largest obstacle would be "free market" Uber and Lyft lobbying intensely to prevent it by scaring the hell out of the public and the govt.

The govt could mandate criminal and fingerprint checks and charge the drivers a fee to fund the cost of the checks.

It would be so nice for the drivers en masse to be able to tell these POS "gig" companies that we're "deactivating" THEM.

Last edited:

kingcorey321

Would you switch to the new app, if it's available?

What would make you switch or not switch?

How much do you pay for your own rideshare insurance and what company did you go with?

Would you switch to a new app that takes less cut, if one is available? Why or why not?

I now have triple A Insurance . Used to have progressive for 10 years .
Michigan law changed with insurance. So progressive tried to cheat me 5 times my rate.
Im paying 12 a month for the additional coverage .
And yes i would drive if it paid better with other apps . Uber is only .60 and .11 lyft .75 and .11
Uber long trips with zero surge its not worth it . With this virus going on i currently only drive a handful of my personal business professionals .
One of my pax we go two states over she pays for my hotel stay for a night or two whatever her business appointment is.
We do a few other trips there to businesses . Then back home in a day or two.
Im not greedy so 250 a day plus expenses . two day stay if i am not driving home 150 . plus food and hotel .
You get to know these people they trust you . Its cheaper for them anyways . Figure flying both ways and ordering a uber there

UberDerrick

Yes, I've thought about it.

Uber's ultimate nightmare would be for the drivers to cut greedy parasite Uber out of the equation by offering our services directly to the public via a Craigslist type of format.

It could be done, but the largest obstacle would be "free market" Uber and Lyft lobbying intensely to prevent it by scaring the hell out of the public and the govt.

The govt could mandate criminal and fingerprint checks and charge the drivers a fee to fund the cost of the checks.

It would be so nice for the drivers en masse to be able to tell these POS "gig" companies that we're "deactivating" THEM.
Would you switch if such an app is available?

What would be a fair cut?

Michigan law changed with insurance. So progressive tried to cheat me 5 times my rate.
And yes i would drive if it paid better with other apps . Uber is only .60 and .11 lyft .75 and .11
Uber long trips with zero surge its not worth it . With this virus going on i currently only drive a handful of my personal business professionals .
One of my pax we go two states over she pays for my hotel stay for a night or two whatever her business appointment is.
Im not greedy so 250 a day plus expenses . two day stay if i am not driving home 150 . plus food and hotel .
You get to know these people they trust you . Its cheaper for them anyways . Figure flying both ways and ordering a uber there
Only $12 a month extra on your personal auto insurance to cover independent commercial insurance?

That's cheap!

billm

That doesn't seem right to me, only $12 a month. There is a difference, at least on my policy, between a rideshare rider, which tyically costs around $10 a month, and a commercial policy. I would read thru your insurance policy and be sure that it truly does cover commercial use. My rideshare rider stated that it is during prearranged rides thru a digital network on a third party transportation network company. It states that the TNC provided insurance is primary. That's not the same as commercial insurance.

dauction

That doesn't seem right to me, only $12 a month. There is a difference, at least on my policy, between a rideshare rider, which tyically costs around $10 a month, and a commercial policy. I would read thru your insurance policy and be sure that it truly does cover commercial use. My rideshare rider stated that it is during prearranged rides thru a digital network on a third party transportation network company. It states that the TNC provided insurance is primary. That's not the same as commercial insurance.
Exactly ..I had my Own App and Insurance ..Insurance $7500 a year

Benjamin M

I think you may be confusing the rideshare endorsement for commercial insurance, the two are not the same.

Very risky game all around, but good luck..

Correct. The RS endorsement only covers trips on the app and is secondary to the company's insurance - depending on what phase of the trip you are on (waiting for a ping, en route to the pax, or transporting the pax).

UberDerrick

That is $625 per month - ouch!

Not sure if there are many drivers who would cough up that much insurance per month unless the income justifies it.

What state do you operate out of and what is the name of the insurance company, if I may ask?

BTW, does your commercial insurance company consider you a Taxi operation, hence the premium is so high?

If so, I don't think that is fair because Taxi companies have a fleet of cars that all operate at the same time (higher risk); whereas a rideshare driver can only operate 1 car at a time.

Right now, insurance companies only cover 2 categories:

1) TNC drivers like Uber or Lyft
2) Traditional taxi operation

So if you don't use Uber/Lyft app, they put you under Taxi operation and charge you accordingly.

Not fair because its not the same!

Last edited:

dauction

That is $625 per month - ouch!

Not sure if there are many drivers who would cough up that much insurance per month unless the income justifies it.

What state do you operate out of and what is the name of the insurance company, if I may ask?

BTW, does your commercial insurance company consider you a Taxi operation, hence the premium is so high?

If so, I don't think that is fair because Taxi companies have a fleet of cars that all operate at the same time (higher risk); whereas a rideshare driver can only operate 1 car at a time.

Right now, insurance companies only cover 2 categories:

1) TNC drivers like Uber or Lyft
2) Traditional taxi operation

So if you don't use Uber/Lyft app, they put you under Taxi operation and charge you accordingly.

Not fair because its not the same!
I was listed/registered with the State of Mn as Limo. Could not do rideshare or Taxi. Limo in mN you have to have passengers book rides in Advanced. I used that as an end-around booking rideshare passengers as long as they scheduled their ride 24 hours in advance.

Which was perfect because that was my target ..rideshare riders going to work every day.. schedule a whole week.

I just got set up then COVID hit... I ran for 1 month and had to close down.

took 3 months off from Uber/Lyft as well.

Insurance was through Berkshire and it was the LEAST expensive I could find

Bottom line.. Insurance Companies do not want the risk of people driving other people around

Disgusted Driver

It really depends on where you are, in Raleigh, commercial insurance a little over 2k a year when I checked a few years ago. When uber first came to town the drivers that had their own commercial insurance got to keep the booking fee. They are making out like bandits now, first hundred rides a month pays for the insurance, probably make an extra 10k a year.

UberDerrick

I was listed/registered with the State of Mn as Limo. Could not do rideshare or Taxi. Limo in mN you have to have passengers book rides in Advanced. I used that as an end-around booking rideshare passengers as long as they scheduled their ride 24 hours in advance.

Which was perfect because that was my target ..rideshare riders going to work every day.. schedule a whole week.

Bottom line.. Insurance Companies do not want the risk of people driving other people around
That is probably the reason why there aren't many apps to challenge Uber / Lyft.

Not fair because you are not a limousine service.

But by insurance companies pigeon-holing drivers, they are preventing the small guys from entering the market and providing the consumers with alternatives. The U.S. is supposed to be a free market, after all.

Sounds like an issue our state governments need to address, especially in light of the upcoming economic collapse when they need to ensure fair opportunities for small start-ups to enter the market and provide a better way to make a living.

Obviously, private citizens have been driving strangers around for pay for over 10 years now. Therefore, insurance companies have plenty of data to gauge risk.

But like with anything new, they rather stick with the old categories than risk ensuring a new one.

Maybe we drivers need to collectively raise this issue rather than keep banging our heads trying to fight Uber / Lyft.

The best way to fight a company is to provide a better product.

BTW, I talked with an insurance agent who worked with TNCs such as Uber and he said Uber pays (get this!) over $100 million a year to ensure drivers under Period 2 & 3!

One of the main reasons why their premium is so high is because Uber is a BIG target for lawsuits because they have deep pockets.

So, lawyers love to pile on ridiculous claims, yet they often do win in court. Remember the college girl who got killed by a non-Uber driver because she entered the wrong car? Her family got $6 million out of Uber for that lawsuit.

It seems to me that insurance companies should provide affordable insurance for independent drivers because we have no deep pockets. Who would want to sue a sole proprietor driver who makes less than $50k a year (if that!)?

Insurance companies need to reevaluate their entrenched categories.

Looks like there is a gold mine waiting to be tapped here.

Last edited:

kingcorey321

I think you may be confusing the rideshare endorsement for commercial insurance, the two are not the same.

Very risky game all around, but good luck..

Correct. The RS endorsement only covers trips on the app and is secondary to the company's insurance - depending on what phase of the trip you are on (waiting for a ping, en route to the pax, or transporting the pax).
I called my insurance company . I told them i want to drive personal passengers out of state at times .
They asked me a few questions . I answered honestly . They did a adjustment on my policy so i could drive other people .
This is not additional insurance for uber or lyft . I Currently have not pick any pax up from corona virus .
Just my private passengers . I did cancel the rideshare insurance from my policy to add one what i have now.
I thank you for pointing that out benjamin .
My personal passengers are covered from my insurance up to 1mil . This is what i understand .
My healthcare is from the state its fully covered from the state . I do not have to pay medical insurance through my car insurance company . This is what is saving me a boat load of cash .

UberDerrick

I called my insurance company . I told them i want to drive personal passengers out of state at times .
They asked me a few questions . I answered honestly . They did a adjustment on my policy so i could drive other people .
This is not additional insurance for uber or lyft . I Currently have not pick any pax up from corona virus .
Just my private passengers . I did cancel the rideshare insurance from my policy to add one what i have now.
I thank you for pointing that out benjamin .
So, how much do you pay for commercial insurance now, if I may ask? Thanks!

kingcorey321

So, how much do you pay for commercial insurance now, if I may ask? Thanks!
Next time i have my policy in the mail . I will snap a pic of the total insurance . Im not 100 % sure its about 15 a month.
Again i am not a commercial . I only have a handful of passengers .
Also they do all sigh a discloser form . That states a heck of a lot i am not typing.
Basically is says my car insurance will cover them.
I cant be sued regardless of fault . They sue my insurance .
Again its not rideshare insurance add on for uber .
Call aaa . see for your self.

UberDerrick

Next time i have my policy in the mail . I will snap a pic of the total insurance . Im not 100 % sure its about 15 a month.
Again i am not a commercial . I only have a handful of passengers .
Also they do all sigh a discloser form . That states a heck of a lot i am not typing.
Basically is says my car insurance will cover them.
I cant be sued regardless of fault . They sue my insurance .
Again its not rideshare insurance add on for uber .
Call aaa . see for your self.
Sounds very reasonable for independent drivers then.

I will have to check for California.

Thanks!

kingcorey321

Here is what google says. and again i have personal medical . So aaa does not provide me any crash protection .
This is very possible why the add on insurance is very cheap for me .
I made damn sure my passengers are full covered this was a concern for me.
Ok google says this ...........................................
How much commercial auto insurance do I need?
For a policy limit of $1 million, the median cost of commercial auto insurance is $142 per month or $1,704 per year. The median cost offers a more accurate estimate of what your business is likely to pay than the average cost of commercial auto insurance because it excludes outlier high and low premiums.