New regulations

So Im sure its obvious some new regulations were passed for chicago drivers. Curious when this all will take effect. I thought I heard something like 90-120 days from being passed.

Really what Im curious is who this is effecting. I drive a newer car so not worried about that much but are we going to be expecting to buy a special license or some type of classes? Pay for drug testing or fingerprinting? Trying to understand everything as much as possible. I wanna know what to expect if I'll have to pay to keep the job. sorry if I sound a bit foolish but I was expecting gUber to let us know something but I think I was foolish on that. Feel like they'll let us know the week before if that.

Trying to figure out if I'll have this extra income because im in the process of moving and the extra income really helps.

Thanks for any help!

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

We feel your pain. If you wait on the TNCs to inform you could get caught short. The BACP is the lead regulator in the City. Monitor their website to stay current. Also, historically the City's main enforcement efforts have been at ORD/MDW/Navy Pier/McCormick. The vigilantes/entrenched interests patrol the marquee hotel's. That's where you're likely to get pinched if illegal. You'd have to be extraordinarily unlucky to get tagged picking up some Brads at a bar on Ashland Ave or some Ashleys at an Apt in Lincoln Park.

Nomadwolf

So Im sure its obvious some new regulations were passed for chicago drivers. Curious when this all will take effect. I thought I heard something like 90-120 days from being passed.

...but are we going to be expecting to buy a special license or some type of classes? Pay for drug testing or fingerprinting?
First, the ordinance amending the Municipal Code can be found here
The original chapter concerning the municipal code can be found here... click the "more" under Title 6, then expand Title 9, and go to Chapter 9-115.

The amendment states that they will go into effect 90 days after approval, so Sept 22. For the portion of the code that specifically discusses licenses ($x=Advanced#JD_9-115-150]9-115-150 (you have to look in amendment ordinance to revised language since it's a PDF)), there are minimal changes from the current requirements:
- Training Program can be on-line or in person (wasn't specified before)

The bulk of the impact is in this change:
The licensee shall submit to the commissioner the name of each applicant eligible for the issuance or renewal of a transportation network chauffeur license, attesting, In an electronic form prescribed by the commissioner that each such applicant meets all the requirements of subsection (b). In addition, any transportation network provider licensee shall, as the commissioner determines by rule, transmit to the department a background check report that the licensee or a third-party vendor has performed on each transportation network chauffeur license applicant.
So whether or how thorough of a background check will be decided by the BACP rule to be written up.

For now, there is no fingerprinting. Section 6 of the Ordinance provides (with editing to simplify)
The Mayor is authorized to establish a task force to study regulations that may pose barriers to employment and entrepreneurship. Including looking at options for background check processes, licensing, permitting and inspections (the "task force"). The task force shall review the City's current fingerprinting and background check requirements related to City employment and to the Issuance or renewal of a City license or permit.
This task force is actually much broader than TNPs, and can relate to ALL licensing, even outside of driving... It actually seems to be written to look more toward removing fingerprinting requirements than adding them, but anything can happen.
Task force is to provide a report within 180 days, so by December 22nd, and then the results must be reviewed & a new ordinance drawn up (as I understand it).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks man. Makes me feel a bit better but sounds like we will all have to basically sign up for our jobs again with classes and newer background checks.

Doesnt make me feel confident moving into a new place with higher rent when I think the first month I could possibly lose income source.

Ugh Gonna get ulcers working this damn job

AllenChicago

January 8, 2017

It's now 2017, and it looks like nothing has changed here in the Chicago region, when it comes to performing our Uber and Lyft duties.. thank God.

HHTJ

January 8, 2017

It's now 2017, and it looks like nothing has changed here in the Chicago region, when it comes to performing our Uber and Lyft duties.. thank God.
something happened since October but my average went from 16-19 to 8-12 a hour. i think partially its Chicagos new fee per ride. or else something else but my average is way down and its over i havent driven.

Freefall

That's where you're likely to get pinched if illegal. You'd have to be extraordinarily unlucky to get tagged picking up some Brads at a bar on Ashland Ave or some Ashleys at an Apt in Lincoln Park.
Please be respectful. They're called Chads and Trixies.