New rates

MedicMan

This cuts distance pay from .91 to .70
Drive slower and take crowded roads. I used to feel good with going 60 on the freeway, now I will feel good going 3 on the burnside bridge. We will have to adjust and to me it's all about the bottom line. I have just gotten back into the country and will be driving today and tomorrow and will see what it looks like when the rubber meets the road, literally.

Over/Uber

Well, that's a punch in the gut.

Actually doing math, I calculated the pay on 5 random and varied rides I did yesterday. Looks like I would have made about the same overall for those five. I included one Salmon Creek to South Waterfront ride that took 90 mins of travel due to bad commute traffic (she tipped $20 so all good). Obviously, the trips with more minutes will now be more in our favor.

Bottom line, it seems the pattern of rides I give on average will equal about the same pay.

Bottom line part 2: I will cancel any ride greater than 50 miles in front of the pax.

Last edited:

Mista T

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If we drive rush hour the pay is similar. But rush hour is worse on our cars, and I HATE rush hour. Dunno about anyone else...

MedicMan

Time is. 24/min, which is $14.40/hr
Well that makes wait times better. So that is a good thing. I can see this as better for heavy traffic.

Short rides will be the same no matter what. Usually they don't exceed the minimum charge. From what I understand that hasn't changed.

For a 10 minute ride that goes 3 miles the old rate would be
$2.00 for time and $2.70 for a total of $4.70

The new rate would be
$2.40 for time and $2.10 for a total of $4.50

A difference of $0.20 for 15 minutes (5 minutes to get there) of <$0.80> per hour.

A longer run like an airport run would be a significant difference. I would be inclined to stay away from airport runs with the new rates or I would pick the slower routes. Then again picking a longer route that takes longer is not to bad.

It will be interesting so see how this works out. If I end up making $20-$22 an hour after entering the data in to my program I figure it will be a wash. To me it's all about the bottom line and how much I make per hour after expenses.

MedicMan

Uber wouldn't do this unless it was a significant difference to their bottom line.
There is no doubt that Uber considers the drivers expendable. Unfortunately for every Uber driver that leaves there are 2 more to take their place. I am amazed at how many ex-Uber drivers I get. The common thread is that they didn't make enough money to live on.

And you are 100% correct in that changes are all designed to make more money for Uber. As they get closer to an IPO they will make more changes to increase their profitability and all of that will be on the backs of the drivers.

Unless you are driving all electric, opting to avoid freeway and drive on congested routes may cost you more in fuel cost. I am saying that based on doing Uber in an all electric vehicle in 2015/2016.

MedicMan

Unless you are driving all electric, opting to avoid freeway and drive on congested routes may cost you more in fuel cost. I am saying that based on doing Uber in an all electric vehicle in 2015/2016.
The cost is negligible. The biggest cost in a vehicle is the odometer. The more miles the less the vehicle is worth. Fuel is just the most obvious cost that most ride sharing drivers look at and that is a big financial mistake and why most of them get out of the business soon after they get in.

A new car will depreciate about 20% the first year and about 10% a year after that. The accepted average mileage is about 10,000 per year and any more than that will increase depreciation. At 100 miles per day for a full time driver for ride sharing will come out to about 2000 miles per month or 24,000 per year. That will depreciate the vehicle up to 20% per year. In 5 years the mileage on a normal car would be 50,000 miles and a full time ride sharing car would be 125,000 miles. Kelly Blue Book has some great information on high mileage cars vs maintenance costs. The more miles on the vehicle the more it will cost to keep it running.

Plus, drivers taking congested route on purpose may miss out on getting the next ride in line because trip will take longer to end.
I never have an issue with getting rides. I prefer someone in the car with wheels rolling than taking a chance of sitting on the side of the road waiting for a ping.

MedicMan

Well this week I worked 13 hours, 14 minutes (13.25 hours). It was 24 trips. Made $360.00.

Average pay per trip. $15
Pay per hour. $27.17
Tips: $26.00
Promotions: $25.00

Had a bunch of requests for long pickups like 17 minutes, 14 minutes, 12 minutes and I declined all of them. I can't find my AR but I'll bet it is pretty low.