New rates and XL added in Worcester

Choochie

I received an email yesterday as follows:

The pricing for uberXL will be higher than uberX for Worcester partners. The prices for all trips in the Worcester market will be identical to the prices in Boston - which means wherever you have a rider in your car, you will always receive the same rates in Boston and Worcester. In addition, we're making a slight adjustment to the fare structure that will help partners earn more per mile during the longer-distance trips typical of the Worcester area. This fare structure change is effective as of August 20th.

uberX & uberXL Fares
See the new uberX & uberXL fare structure:

They didn't mention anything about the $10 cancellation fee so that is good. Since there is not too much waiting in traffic generally, I would rather get more per mile. Notice the 28% uber fee on XL and you get to tote lots of drunk college kids.
This starts Thursday August 27th. Uber on!

chi1cabby

In addition, we're making a slight adjustment to the fare structure that will help partners earn more per mile during the longer-distance trips typical of the Worcester area.
So this is a Rate Cut for UberX Drivers in Worcester. The per minute rate dropped from $0.21/Minute to $0.16/Minute, while the per mile rate was raised to $1.24/Mile from $1.20/Mile.

*Also New Drivers onboarded after 8/20/2015 will pay 25% commission.

Choochie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So this is a Rate Cut for UberX Drivers in Worcester. The per minute rate dropped from $0.21/Minute to $0.16/Minute, while the per mile rate was raised to $1.24/Mile from $1.20/Mile.

*Also New Drivers onboarded after 8/20/2015 will pay 25% commission.
Yes you are right!

hmmmmm

Look at the fine print for xl.
They are actually taking a lower percent for new xl drivers who were not partners before 8/20. 28pct for old vs 25pct for new. Im not sure but it looks to me if you are already an x driver they know they already have you driving so why not take an extra 3pct. Could just be a typo though bc i think xl is 28pct in all other markets.

Attachments

Choochie

Look at the fine print for xl.
They are actually taking a lower percent for new xl drivers who were not partners before 8/20. 28pct for old vs 25pct for new. Im not sure but it looks to me if you are already an x driver they know they already have you driving so why not take an extra 3pct. Could just be a typo though bc i think xl is 28pct in all other markets.
Gotta be a typo - doesn't make sense but nothing they do makes sense however, it seems they do want to ramp up the xl to the college kids - they can always lower the boom once you are signed on.

hmmmmm

Yeah thats true. Most likely a typo though. I wonder if the kids will realise 2x are cheaper than 1xl. hopefully the xl stops 5 and 6 trying to get in my car though. i wonder what year car the xl has to be. Tempting to buy a 2000 caravan for 1500 and use that for almost double the rate as x. That would be the most i would be willing to spend on anything for uber tho the way theyalways lower rates. It would be interesting to hear what the xl demand is. It will probably be good for the first 6 months or so until it becomes oversaturated with drivers like x did.

Choochie

Some examples as per the email were dodge caravan, Ford Explorer and Honda Pilot. Could you do your math again on how the 2x's would be cheaper? I know there would be 2 $1.00 safe rider fees. The base fare would be 50ct more on x, the per minute would be 3ct less per min and the mile charge would be 3ct more.
Thanks mr. Math teacher.

hmmmmm

Some examples as per the email were dodge caravan, Ford Explorer and Honda Pilot. Could you do your math again on how the 2x's would be cheaper? I know there would be 2 $1.00 safe rider fees. The base fare would be 50ct more on x, the per minute would be 3ct less per min and the mile charge would be 3ct more.
Thanks mr. Math teacher.
Its just generally around 2x for xl. to break even at 3c less per min and 3c more per mile the speed has to be 60mph. One mile per minute and the differences cancel out. If the 2x go faster than 60mph they will be more expensive than 1xl but they still have to make up the 50c extra for the xl too. so if you traveled at the speed limit of 65mph you would go an extra 5 miles per hour and the 2x would be an extra 15c. In 3:20 the 50c would be recouped and everything else would add on to make 2x more expensive. But this is all assuming you drive for more than 3 hours 20min at an avg speed of 65mph traveling over 215miles. Theoretically possible but not likely to ever get a fare that long. 2x is very close to 1xl in price but slightly more expensive unless the scenario above happens.

Choochie

Its just generally around 2x for xl. to break even at 3c less per min and 3c more per mile the speed has to be 60mph. One mile per minute and the differences cancel out. If the 2x go faster than 60mph they will be more expensive than 1xl but they still have to make up the 50c extra for the xl too. so if you traveled at the speed limit of 65mph you would go an extra 5 miles per hour and the 2x would be an extra 15c. In 3:20 the 50c would be recouped and everything else would add on to make 2x more expensive. But this is all assuming you drive for more than 3 hours 20min at an avg speed of 65mph traveling over 215miles. Theoretically possible but not likely to ever get a fare that long. 2x is very close to 1xl in price but slightly more expensive unless the scenario above happens.
Too much for peanut brain - science is a plus for me - math - the simpler the better or if I can use my hp12c then I'm fine.

Last edited:

Welcome.2.WISTA

I was thinking of adding my second car as an XL. It is an 06 Pathfinder and seats 7, and gets about 15MPG so they can take the 28% and stick it up their a$$. I highly doubt it is going to catch on or be worth it though.

Choochie

I was thinking of adding my second car as an XL. It is an 06 Pathfinder and seats 7, and gets about 15MPG so they can take the 28% and stick it up their a$$. I highly doubt it is going to catch on or be worth it though.
Ha ha! You might want to ask how old they will go with xl before you put too much thought in it.

Woober

In Worcester XL will just get you big carloads of drunk college kids. Pukers and 1 star rater/haters. Good luck with that!

Choochie

Surging in Worcester today 1.5 - 2x at 3pm. Of course I didn't get any but it is inspiring.

Choochie

Getting sick of getting teens-3 in a row. Yeah and I will pick them up. I'm sure my rating suffers. If I didn't have teens I wouldn't have any at all, just guessing but prolly true, since that is all I've had.