New.. Nav question.

NoStarsInLA

Started driving for Uber like a week ago. Don't need to hear about how stupid that is. Just wondering what happened within the map. I could use the in-app nav.. and now I can't.. not for the last few days. Being forced to use google (or waze). I was toggling, depending on the trip.. now there is no navigation for Uber. It will show me a blue line, but won't actually navigate. I'm sure I'll hear about how this is because I'm new, stupid, a woman, etc (I may be new to Uber, and just signed up here, but I've read the forums for awhile now.. ya'll have a lot of hate lol).. I would just like to know what the deal with this is.

Jdemonto

Started driving for Uber like a week ago. Don't need to hear about how stupid that is. Just wondering what happened within the map. I could use the in-app nav.. and now I can't.. not for the last few days. Being forced to use google (or waze). I was toggling, depending on the trip.. now there is no navigation for Uber. It will show me a blue line, but won't actually navigate. I'm sure I'll hear about how this is because I'm new, stupid, a woman, etc (I may be new to Uber, and just signed up here, but I've read the forums for awhile now.. ya'll have a lot of hate lol).. I would just like to know what the deal with this is.
The in app nav is marginal at best, use Waze and use the in app map when you arrive.

NoStarsInLA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The in app nav is marginal at best, use Waze and use the in app map when you arrive.
Ok.. the thing is, the in app nav isn't working.. whether it's good or bad, it stopped working. I'm just curious if there's been a change made or if it's just me.

Jdemonto

All the above should fix your issue, many pax consider Waze to be the best. I have logged in close to 90k miles in the past 9 months I will never use anything but Waze

ACHUMA

You're in the shark tank now, sweetheart. You think this forum is bad just wait until you have another Uber/Lyft driver or taxi driver try to run you off the road into a ditch. Every man, woman, & child for themself out there in this crazy world.

Watch out for that joker AP92.

Wow you must be new if you want to use Uber's bull$h!t in-app "navigation" instead of Maps/Waze.

CarterPeerless

I use the in app nav and it was working as of last night. If there is an issue, it probably isn't system wide.

Have you force closed the app (iPhone)?

Also, have you gone into the setting and made sure that Uber nav is your selected navigation option?

CarterPeerless

All the above should fix your issue, many pax consider Waze to be the best. I have logged in close to 90k miles in the past 9 months I will never use anything but Waze
I use waze for Lyft. My main problem with waze is that it tries to send you on adventures through random neighborhoods instead of keeping you to the main grid. You have to know when to ignore it.

Uber's nav does this stupid thing where it thinks that a straight road is a turn just because the map shows the start of a median. Happens a lot at intersections.

Pick your poison.

DriverXLPlus

Everyone seems to have a preference, a strong one at that, for either Google Maps or Google's Waze. I started by using Maps than listened to all those who extolled the benefits of Waze. So I switched but just didn't get used to it. To many distracting icons and no lane guidance. I did like that it did not seem to give lots of extra directions when there are no alternatives such as merge onto I10, or merge onto Price road when that is the only thing you can do. Anyhow, I never got used to Waze, and have gone back to Maps.

NoStarsInLA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You have to put a special code into the Uber app to make the nav work...

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start

That code will also get you free oil changes for life.
hmm.. i added select before start and it was all good!

I've used Waze, Google, and in-app.. but I prefer the in-app for areas that I'm more familiar with, but just need a little extra. I got a new phone today so we'll see if that changes anything.

I never even tried Uber's nav, after reading about how horrendous it was. I've used Google Maps to help me learn the metro area since moving here a hear ago, so it was easy to keep using it when I started driving. Had read that Waze didn't do lanes, so that was all I needed to know about that option. Maps does a great job of showing alternative routes, and generally getting you to your destination, but I always tell my pax to feel free to give me better options if they know best ways to go, and for sure to chime in when getting close to the dropoff. Sometimes Maps ends the route with the pin in the middle of the street, but that could be pax destination entry error too.

NothingLeftToLose

You average 10k miles a month?!? Holy hell. I guess that's the way you make money doing this.

Harry Seaward

I hate Waze for nav but love it for road trips to sniff out the po-po.
Unless I'm completely lost in the middle of a crazy ass nighborhood, I use Uber nav to get started in a general direction for the destination. Once I'm within a few blocks of the destination I'll start counting streets and then houses as I get closer. I may flip on Maps to guide me in if there's several zig-zags, but most of the time I do just fine with Uber nav. If I need directions, I'll flip over to Maps. I'd sooner get out of my car and knock on a door than use Waze.

I would just like to know what the deal with this is.
Android: Go to settings, apps then Applications Manager at the top. Go down and tap on Uber Driver. Select Force Stop, then Force Stop again. Tap on Storage, then Clear Cache then Clear Data then Delete. Hit your home button and then restart Uber Driver app. You'll have to re-enter your login info, but if this doesn't fix it, you'll have to do the same thing again, except you'll have to uninstall and reinstall the app after clearing the data.

I may be new to Uber, and just signed up here, but I've read the forums for awhile now.. ya'll have a lot of hate lol
There's a fair share of hate here, but not usually for each other. I think you're referring to the girl that wanted our opinion on her decision to take on a lease to start driving for Uber the first week of summer. For the most part, she got honest feedback. This opinion I'm about to give is unsolicited, but I think you're wrong about what you think people think about you. Also, you won't make it a month in this business if you a.) think people think the things about you that you mentioned and b.) let yourself to get bothered by what you think other people think. Even if they do think it, @@@@ 'em and drive on. There's plenty of ladies driving and they're better than a lot of dudes I've had as drivers.

backstreets-trans

You have to put a special code into the Uber app to make the nav work...

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start

That code will also get you free oil changes for life.
If that doesn't work then get out and run around your car counter clockwise while holding the phone over your head at every stop light.