New MCI waiting Lot

John McYeet

I saw this. I guess it’s good they’re separating everyone because I was going to say if I get jumped by a taxi driver I’d hope my Uber friends jump in and help me. :roflmao:

jfinks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya, not sure if the separation is that significant... and they are putting the ztrips etc with the Uber/Lyfts. ztrip is way more comparable to a traditional taxi service than a TNC.

I am sure they have ample security cams and possible on site security. I think it is good for the drivers and riders. It is less than half the distance and I don't think there is a ticket system (that remains to be seen). Nice to have some bathrooms, hopefully a vending area. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had to "wet the pavement" while waiting over 2 hours for a ride. lol.

John McYeet

Yeah, same to be honest. I’m thinking after the nasty foreign taxi drivers and nasty Uber drivers have their way with the new restrooms they won’t stay nice for very long. Doubtful cleaning them will be much of a priority for local airport janitors.

NGOwner

The real question (which FlyKCI can't answer) is: With the new staging area now closer in proximity to the terminals, will ReMatch on Uber and Lyft still work?

Because if Lyft and Uber kill ReMatch, airport runs just became a whole bunch less interesting.

[NG]Owner

John McYeet

It’s about half the distance it was at lot C. Was there last night and no one could figure out where to go. Wonder if they have the building open yet. Almost looked like a lounge you could wait in while you wait for a ride but I can’t confirm that.

jfinks

The real question (which FlyKCI can't answer) is: With the new staging area now closer in proximity to the terminals, will ReMatch on Uber and Lyft still work?

Because if Lyft and Uber kill ReMatch, airport runs just became a whole bunch less interesting.

[NG]Owner
I don't think they will kill rematch, no real reason to, but it is nice to be a little closer to the terminals. Half the distance to get staged and more like 1/3rd the distance to get to terminal since don't have to go all the way to ticket booths.

As of this morning lyft hadn't updated their geofence, Uber was updated at 12am. I haven't been out yet today but may have to go check things out. Sucks it is 37 miles for me to get there. Probably wont today since it is a federal holiday and things might be a little slower.

I was hoping for a QT to open there. Gas, snacks, etc. It would probably close down that other craphole texaco thing though.

John McYeet

I’m wondering why the airport has been surging all day even though there’s been nonstop 60+ cars waiting in the queue.

jfinks

I’m wondering why the airport has been surging all day even though there’s been nonstop 60+ cars waiting in the queue.
I made my way up to the lot last night. 56-60 in the queue. Lot was pretty full at about 9pm, but there were a few spots to park. Had a $4 bonus as I approached and that went up to $15 while waiting in queue. I think it was about an hour and half wait. Watched some youtube tv while was in lot. Bathrooms weren't too destroyed yet. No tickets or gate as of yet. No food, but I'm wondering if you can walk over to the Marriott and grab a snack from the lobby. Would be cool to see if some food trucks are able to come up to the airport, if it is even allowed.

As far as ride bonus all day, I'm sure there are many factors. Day of week, time of day, amount in queue. Through machine learning and pre programming the app can maintain an optimum level of drivers. It is possible they try to block out Lyft by keeping a bonus on the screen since a large portion of drivers do both concurrently. It is kind of interesting being in both lyft and uber queues. If Uber has 50 in queue, lyft usually has about half that amount. But as you reach the front of the line on Lyft, uber usually is at 1-5 or so. I think a lot of the lyft movement is just uber trips taken before they get a lyft ride.

John McYeet

Been kind of weird this week with the new lot. Am there now (Wednesday night) and there’s 101-105 cars here. In my year and a half of driving I’ve very rarely seen it that bad. Plus there’s no more stalls so people are parking in front of people. I’m not sure if this lot will work unless they plan on expanding or working out these random surge happenings because I’m thinking a lot of people are here just because they expect the surge to happen like it’s been this week.

jfinks

Its almost like they updated the lot geofence but didn't update the surge area. Surge is constantly seeing 0 drivers in queue? Over 100 is crazy on a Wed night, I was watching earlier and saw 80. Last night there was 60 at 12:30Am. There isn't much surge worth waiting over 2 hours for. There is more money to be made driving. Ya the lot was pretty full even with 60 in queue, remember that is only what uber is showing. There could be 20-30 lyft only cars also. That makes for a possible 130-140 cars in the lot. Crazy. I didn't count the spots, I imagine it is around 80.

John McYeet

Yeah I’d imagine 80-90. 100 stalls at best but That’s still almost 40-50 short. I’m waiting for the first fender bender since the lanes are so small and cars already come flying around corners.

jfinks

Ya I watch this Youtuber's Channel in Chicago, they have a lot like KC has now. It gets pretty crazy. Problem is you have to stay in that little area or get kicked out of queue so there isn't much choice. Almost going to need a queue to get into the queue. Once lot is full, one goes in when one goes out. That means some sort of authority going to have to direct it.

jfinks

I wonder if another aspect of the increase of drivers there is just the fact that there are facilities now and it isnt so far away from terminals.

John McYeet

I was thinking that. Looks like the surge has finally calmed down a bit. It’s up to a $16 max surge though when I know through the winter it seemed to top out at $10.

jfinks

Ya I was up there for a bit tonight. I headed that way since I was halfway there already after dropping off in NKC. Lyft queue was around 13. It took about 5 minutes to get to top of queue on lyft. 56-60 on uber would have been over an hour, but had a $16 bonus. Lyft had a $5.30 ride bonus. I opted to get out of there, had a bird in the hand. I didn't even have time to use the restroom...

I almost headed up again after dropping someone off later in KCK. But uber was showing 75-80, which isn't totally accurate, could be quite a bit more.

John McYeet

Yeah I checked in around 9pm with 65+ and it look less than an hour to get a ride. Plus it was surging at the time of ride so I got a little more than the posted $16 surge rate.

I don’t know, I kind of like it. I haven’t waited much over an hour to get a ride even when there was 100+ cars on Wednesday it maybe took an hour and 10 minutes to get a ride. I know I need to not get used to it but it’s been nice so far. Made some decent money off just airport trips this week for sure.

I had a thought that they should make it a multilevel garage kind of like what they have at the terminals. I know they’d never shovel out the money for it but it’s nice to think about a garage type of waiting space.

jfinks

There is more room to the north to expand the lot if needed. My idea has always been to monetize the waiting lots to pay for maintenance and upgrades. Have a convenience store, car wash, maybe even basic maintenance center like rotate/balance tires, oil changes, inspections, etc.