New Lyft airport pickup?

Don't swim in pools

Haven't seen anyone post about this yet. Thoughts? Curious how they will handle the cars that aren't able to fit there. Maybe still be a que then you get request to go and wait in line?

Ugh. This is bad. Not that I do the airport que but this will kill those rare times when uber surges and you can wait as lyft pings nonstop till a 45 comes up. Now it will be you get whatever walks up and you will have to que like the taxis. No declining from rating. Hopefully rematch will skip this still.

Transportador

Haven't seen anyone post about this yet. Thoughts? Curious how they will handle the cars that aren't able to fit there. Maybe still be a que then you get request to go and wait in line?
I would think so. They would text you to leave the lot and drive to terminal 2 to get in line. Wonder what Uber is going to do...

Randy Jack

Full circle back to the taxi model.

The staging lot chaos is the same at every major airport. It's driving consumers back to the taxi line because that system is tried and true.

I read this today and I'm trying to envision how this will actually work out, and I can't imagine any workable solution. You're going to need a virtually endless line of rideshare cars, which requires a dedicated lane - that's exactly how the cab line works at ORD. We're talking about major construction, and to what end? Duplicating the taxi line completely? What kind of junk are they smoking? More proof that these companies are run by children.

Besides logistical questions, if it's first come first served like a taxi line, then what exactly is the advantage to getting an amateur driver in the first place?
Exact same as a taxi, just cheaper and we ignore the pesky regulations, driver/vehicle vetting, etc... ridiculous. At least if they pretend it's a different animal we maintain plausibility.

And how can they possibly justify the "dynamic pricing" they live off of under that scenario? One rider pays $30, the next pays $40? It all seems utterly absurd.

Last edited:

Wombat7

Hopefully, the cab driver association (if it still exists) will fight it tooth and nail as it is a direct threat to the last vestige of their existence.

It will be very annoying to hear about pax confusion over and over again which will continue because other airports don't have this yet

Except for drop-offs and the less-then-50%-of-the-time rematch, I don't work the airport and use the staging area only to pee occasionally. I see zero advantage to waiting in the lot which is where I suspect the line will geo-form until you get to the end of the line at the terminal.

Uber will get their own "pick-up" zone shortly as for the most part, I suspect it'll be better for the pax. This will depend on whether or not other airports adopt this scheme.

Only advantage to the driver will be that you won't have to wait for those anuses that order their ride before they have their bags in hand.

Transportador

You wait in line, you get to the front, PAX comes over and attempt to give you the code, you ask FIRST where the hell they are going. You don't like the answer tell them to go give the code to the guy behind you.

NO SOUP FOR YOU, NEXT....
Post automatically merged:

Wonder how they are going to deal with LUX and SUV rides. Ain't no way this is going to work. Lyft is incredibly stupid.

Randy Jack

You wait in line..... Ain't no way this is going to work. Lyft is incredibly stupid.
Not to mention there's no way the staff people will be able to keep that line orderly. It's going to be cars racing each other to the terminal and fighting to the last inch for position. I would hate to be the employee that got stuck with that job... Trying to explain to management why it's a impossible concept... Like when Dara was a driver and he was astonished that the navigation required frequent intervention.

Transportador

Not to mention there's no way the staff people will be able to keep that line orderly. It's going to be cars racing each other to the terminal and fighting to the last inch for position. I would hate to be the employee that got stuck with that job... Trying to explain to management why it's a impossible concept... Like when Dara was a driver and he was astonished that the navigation required frequent intervention.
And what about Uber, different pick up spot? Or mixed in with Lyft? Just will not work! OMG this is a really stupid idea. Perfect for TAXI though, LOL.

PioneerXi

The T1 pick up zone. What’s the length of that?

7 vehicles from stop sign to crossing? (Best guess) Then 3 more before the red zone?

So , call it 10 vehicle spaces being shared with Uber. The Airport hasn’t the capacity at T1 for this to work.

Transportador

They are just going to pilot it at T2. More room at T2 for this to work especially since they could use both left and right curbs of the island.

Once the idea proves out (or not) they could always move it to the parking lot. This is how they manage pick ups at major events like concerts and football games already. Uber too not just Lyft.

William Fenton

I guess the new game is you get an uber ping at terminal 2 you see where they are going and if it is a short trip you look for the Lyft line and get a longer trip there?
I get so few Lyft rides these days that I forgot how to turn the Lyft app on!

Transportador

I guess the new game is you get an uber ping at terminal 2 you see where they are going and if it is a short trip you look for the Lyft line and get a longer trip there?
I get so few Lyft rides these days that I forgot how to turn the Lyft app on!
So true, they either feed you rides or they don't. It's not the closest driver gets the ping at all! Except they like me so I get pings ahead of other drivers so no complaint.

Transportador

Hey guys, the last 3 days my Lyft airport pickups have all been Terminal 2. The Lyft app seems to be trying a soft start of the new line approach. Makes me wonder what happens to Lyft at terminal 1? Is it Uber only at T1 now? Weird.