New Legislation

UberX.illegal?

So with stage 2. Its has been announced that ride booking drivers will pay an annual license fee of 235$ odd dollars. Plus a new class of CTP has been created for ride booking and limousines, meaning your rego will go up along with insurance. Exactly how much. You will find out within a month or two. Plus reflective stickers on both front and rear of the car to be affixed. A range of other legislative changes are coming into effect in the near future.

So with stage 2. Its has been announced that ride booking drivers will pay an annual license fee of 235$ odd dollars. Plus a new class of CTP has been created for ride booking and limousines, meaning your rego will go up along with insurance. Exactly how much. You will find out within a month or two. Plus reflective stickers on both front and rear of the car to be affixed. A range of other legislative changes are coming into effect in the near future.
Is this Proposed Qld legislation?
$235 clear after expenses= 23 hours work based on a 60 hour week.

Why?

New costs? Licence fee $237.50, COI inspection $90, CTP $800+, Total over $1,000pa before a wheel turns. Uber must have a contactable office, provide trip data to Ttp, driver training, etc. Welcome to the real world.

Guys.. could be a good thing??
We have so many other threads complaining of saturation of drivers
This could help 'kill the ants'
I heard a rumour that the ATO will have access to weekly statements from Uber.
To bad if you are an Ant limited to 40 hours work per fortnight .....get a visa lawyers opinion now.

Grand

ATO already has access to bank account information related to rideshare deposits as part of its data matching activities.

I don't see the benefit for weekly statement access.
Anyway please provide evidence to support the 'rumour'. Thanks

ATO already has access to bank account information related to rideshare deposits as part of its data matching activities.

I don't see the benefit for weekly statement access.
Anyway please provide evidence to support the 'rumour'. Thanks
The benefit is ATO can cross reference hours worked with immigration and reduce the number of drivers thereby increasing the average jobs per driver..
Supporting evidence none that can be shared here sorry.

Thing

http://personalisedtransport.tmr.ql...d-transport-industry/documents/52075/download

There are some very interesting key points collated on the one form here :smiles:
You're not responsible for passengers not wearing seatbelts which is a plus...

The CTP class is 26 but I can't find anything on the net about the cost of that class, probably not decided as yet...

Fatigue management of drivers is a key issue mentioned several times.. & states it is a responsibility of the operator.. so I wonder how Uber will enforce this?? The penalties are quite substantial for fatigue breaches under Chain of Responsibility - penalties for drivers can be up to $365,000 & for operators $3.6 million...

You would never pay off a $50,000 fine as an Uber driver let alone a few hundred thousand :eek:

Although with the justice system in Qld atm you could appear before a judge 20 times & still not receive the maximum penalty :confused: :cool:

Hugh G

re: http://personalisedtransport.tmr.ql...d-transport-industry/documents/52075/download

Pity it does no address the confusion about "Ride Booking's" obligations and liabilities regarding carrying children up to 7 years old

The last 2 highlighted paragraphs, to me, indicate Ride booking is not exempt, yet most drivers I speak to tell me they are.....

Child restraints

Queensland Government home > For Queenslanders > Transport and motoring > Road safety, rules, fines and tolls > Road rules > Child restraints

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/rules/children/

When driving with children up to 7 years of age, you must ensure they are restrained in a properly fastened and adjusted Australian Standard (AS) approved child restraint.

Driving includes when the vehicle is moving or stationary (for example, when stopped at traffic lights), but not when parked. Only child restraints that carry the AS sticker have been tested and approved as meeting standard AS/NZS 1754.

Child restraints purchased overseas may only be used in Queensland if they comply with AS/NZS 1754.

We recommend you use a child restraint that is less than 10 years old. The restraint will have a sticker showing approval and a date stamp for when the restraint was manufactured.

Don't use a child restraint that has been in a crash. If you use a second hand child restraint, get a copy of the manufacturer's instructions, so you understand how to use it safely.

Penalties
In addition to the safety risks, if a child is not in an approved child restraint that is properly fastened and adjusted, you can be fined $365 and incur 3 demerit points for each child that is not properly restrained. Double demerit points will apply for second or subsequent child restraint or seatbelt offences committed within 1 year after an earlier offence.

Exemptions from complying with standard child restraint laws
Public transport
Child restraints are not required on buses and trains. A bus is a motor vehicle that can carry 13 or more people (including the driver).

Personalised transport services, such as taxi, limousine and ride-booking services, aren't required to supply child restraints to their customers. However, given enough notice, you may be able to pre-book one of these services with a child restraint. Alternatively you can supply and use your own child restraint.

Sameshiftdiffday

I am surprised that no-one has picked up on the second biggest change, after the annual license fee, and that is the need for a COI.

Can you imagine some of these little crap uber cars going into the brake roller test ? They might never come out !!

Also it will be amazing the fail rate judging by the number of squealing brakes you hear on Uber's - this is a big issue - let alone the book & pay method, no get the paperwork and drive next week any more, after getting a dodgy safety certificate.

Where is the class clown - SUD - and all of his silly predictions ??

I read on another page that apparently Uber has only about 20% of the work, but is stuck at that level which is really bad when they keep adding and adding new drivers. Does that also mean that after 3 years and millions $ of free rides that over 80% of Brisbane market don't like Uber ??

everythingsuber

New costs? Licence fee $237.50, COI inspection $90, CTP $800+, Total over $1,000pa before a wheel turns. Uber must have a contactable office, provide trip data to Ttp, driver training, etc. Welcome to the real world.
Pretty much this. Uber hasn't actually said it will be in compliance with this legislation have they? Can't see Uber eating the cost and it should kill off part time drivers if they don't. They are certainly not about to rise fares that would be unUber.

To bad if you are an Ant limited to 40 hours work per fortnight .....get a visa lawyers opinion now.
ATO just interested in collecting money. They can choose to see or not see anything they like. Just pay what is owed and they won't look that closely. Good citizens are always welcome.

Instyle

I think the cost per booking entity needs scrutinising;

Sml operator with 6 cars - $700 ($116.60 p/car)
Uber (Operator) 10,000 - $5000 ($0.50 p/car)

Pretty much this. Uber hasn't actually said it will be in compliance with this legislation have they? Can't see Uber eating the cost and it should kill off part time drivers if they don't. They are certainly not about to rise fares that would be unUber.

Why would Uber be compliant ? Uber have thumbed their nose at Australian gst and taxation compliance and gotten away without paying as "you should embrace confrontation ".

ATO just interested in collecting money. They can choose to see or not see anything they like. Just pay what is owed and they won't look that closely. Good citizens are always welcome.

Instyle

Enhanced Safety: New requirements will see reflective signage on the front and back of ride=booking services. Security cameras will be mandatory in vehicles that are not pre-booked or take cash or payment during the journey. Driver fatigue must be managed by booking entities and operators.

The Uber system is not a booking, but a mere request or digital hail for a car to arrival with no details about the intended trip relayed to the operator. Payment is taken from the passengers payment method during the journey process. Unless fixed fares come in and Uber show the entire trip in the request process, I see very little difference between hailing a cab and digitally hailing an Uber.

I am surprised that no-one has picked up on the second biggest change, after the annual license fee, and that is the need for a COI.

Can you imagine some of these little crap uber cars going into the brake roller test ? They might never come out !!

Also it will be amazing the fail rate judging by the number of squealing brakes you hear on Uber's - this is a big issue - let alone the book & pay method, no get the paperwork and drive next week any more, after getting a dodgy safety certificate.

Where is the class clown - SUD - and all of his silly predictions ??

I read on another page that apparently Uber has only about 20% of the work, but is stuck at that level which is really bad when they keep adding and adding new drivers. Does that also mean that after 3 years and millions $ of free rides that over 80% of Brisbane market don't like Uber ??
Could you image the side to side torsion testing on some of the small micro compacts, the biscuit rims would be torn off LOL

The squeaky brakes you mention are likely from the extended driving on economy brake pads and the constant attempt to make a smooth ride can glaze the discs and cause squealing.

Uberdar

Guys.. could be a good thing??
We have so many other threads complaining of saturation of drivers
This could help 'kill the ants'
Totally agree. Too many drivers and this will clear the field. I have no problems with the new changes and tire of the whingers who want want want but dont want to give. Only problem I have with uber is driver saturation so BRING IT ON.....