• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New. Is becoming an uber driver worth it?

Chris1278

Hello uber community. I live in Calgary and like many Albertans work is slow and I'm looking to make extra cash. I have a 09 mazda6 in good shape, I'm going through the sign up process with uber and im at the ipillary licence section but I don't have one. Also just have a regular class 5 licence. I also have commercial insurance on my truck and have no issue updating my insurance for my personal vehicle (if nessecary. I want to know all the ins and outs of the regulation process and I know the city requires some sort of vehicle inspection, would that be equivalent to an out of province inspection?
And after all that is the pay even worth it? Like how does the pay scale work? To my knowledge you get paid more for "peak hours" do you get to set your own rates? I figure by the time I've paid gas, insurance and maintenance if your profit margins are under 12$ an hour this probably isn't worth it.
Would love to hear from drivers and passengers and hear their input. Much thanks.

AltaClip

To answer your question ... no.
If you have a couple hours a day that your schedule is flexible and you have other errands to do then go ahead.
Combine that with late night weekends and you could scratch out a bit of coin.

In Edmonton the vehicle inspection report and process varies greatly depending on the Business conducting it. I've had it done for much cheaper (read free) than the official out of Province inspections.

NOTE - the Calgary process might be different depending on City regulations??

Hello uber community. I live in Calgary and like many Albertans work is slow and I'm looking to make extra cash. I have a 09 mazda6 in good shape, I'm going through the sign up process with uber and im at the ipillary licence section but I don't have one. Also just have a regular class 5 licence. I also have commercial insurance on my truck and have no issue updating my insurance for my personal vehicle (if nessecary. I want to know all the ins and outs of the regulation process and I know the city requires some sort of vehicle inspection, would that be equivalent to an out of province inspection?
And after all that is the pay even worth it? Like how does the pay scale work? To my knowledge you get paid more for "peak hours" do you get to set your own rates? I figure by the time I've paid gas, insurance and maintenance if your profit margins are under 12$ an hour this probably isn't worth it.
Would love to hear from drivers and passengers and hear their input. Much thanks.
Of course its not. The company sends 30% of each fare to offshore accounts and pays no tax. Its business model does not cap the number of cars so people driving will make less and less as time goes on. It uses venture capital to subsidize all fares and even so, people are not making enough to cover the costs of fuel, maintenance, and repair of their vehicles, all the while Uber laughs all the way to its offshore accounts. Its goal is to eliminate any other transportation provider (ie taxi, or any other). Its goal is to monopolize transportation. So, if I have not convinced you, carry on and join the race to the bottom.

Reality Checker

Most drivers I have spoken to (myself included) make about $12/hr, less than minimum wage. Subtract from that your cost of fuel, increase in insurance and the depreciation of your vehicle, and you will discover that figure drops to about $8 - $10/hr. You would make more money working for McDonalds.

deja.42

I too was going to post the same question.. so everybody is in agreement that it is not worth it? Under $12 an hour? I was reading 30+ if it's really under minimum wage in the long run then why are you guys driving for Uber..?

mods1964

It's the Stockholm Syndrome,, look at the uber forum posts from anywhere in the world, any city or town,, you see the same thing,, newbies asking how much money I can earn ("I've heard it's big money") and the drivers that have been on uber for a while telling that it's less than minimum wage, Working 90 hours a week to break even,,, when are you slaves going to rise up and not put up with uber crap,, uber slaves love there master,, the Stockholm syndrome !!!

Reality Checker

I'm not wasting my time any more. I have already spent hundreds to qualify, so I'll turn on the app when I'm out anyway to maybe pick up some gas money, but other than that I'm going back to focussing on getting clients for my home business where I can invoice $80/hr. If I'm going to work for nothing, I might as well be working to get new clients for myself.

BTW... you might want to check out this thread: https://uberpeople.net/threads/an-open-letter-to-uber-management.142921/#post-2135387

Mandy Dobrev

Absolutely, it is worth of it to be a new driver. No doubt, there are many uber cars has been running on the road but still you can get a chance of earning some good amount.

AdamS.UBER17

I just drove an uber rider who was visiting Toronto from Calgary. She told me UBER was fighting with the city so you guys could finally drive.

When UBER enters any city, there always seems to be more supply then demand. As much as I'd hope 'reality checkers' open letter message gets to Uber and they heavily advertise uber for riders, I don't think it's going to happen.

It was really good in Toronto for the longest time. Drivers actually made $25-$30+ consistently and made over $20/hr after expenses at the end of the day. Though now, It's getting worse here too and been dead lately due to over-saturation of drivers.

Hopefully the recent negative attention Uber and Travis have been getting in the media will get them to re-think their business model. Good luck fellow Canadians.

Vavvav

4.54 rating, doesn't make a lick of difference. You can have a brutal acceptance rate and brutal cancellation rate and low rating and you will still be on the road with thousands of drivers making less then minimum wage. There is an oversaturated market and too many drivers, you have to struggle to make a dime. I have consistently driven 40 hours per week in Niagara for the last 3 months and average $375 per week. Take away 20 percent for gas and that's $300 a week not including depreciation, taxes, and insurance on the car and that works out to $7.50 an hour, less hen minimum wage. Basically you run your car into the ground and collect the value of the car as you go along and at the front end because at the back end your car is worthless. Throw in oil changes and new tires and worn out brake pads and you are driving for a negative sum. I hear crickets because all the other drivers I know can relate, there is no money to be made driving Uber. Pizza Hut is promising $3.70 per delivery and said I could do 30 to 60 deliveries in a night, plus tips, over 6 to 8 hours. Talked to a 2 for 1 driver and he said they have Hotel Contracts and he and another driver complete 50 deliveries in an 8 to 9 shift on a weekend, 25 during the week, similar deal to Pizza Hut. He said tips are $3 to $4 per delivery. 50 deliveries at say $5 per trip including tip is $250 a night, that's better then Uber boys with less gas, am I missing something? Why are we driving for Uber? If it's $6 after tips that's $300 over 8 hours or over $30 an hour. There has to be a catch with Food Delivery.

Kah Chere

As an Uber driver from Canberra, Australia, I estimate my income to be about 60% of the minimum Australian basic wage. I enjoy driving interesting people around this most interesting of cities, resulting in many fascinating conversations. Us Uber drivers get together for lunch on Thursdays and 2hrs later wander out to our cars after good fellowship, good food and good coffee. Stockholm Syndrome describes us well, as we refer to our Uber overlord as HAL (which of course explains the interest in driverless cars). I never encourage folk to do it for a living, but I do recommend driving for the enjoyment of it. Australian research into happiness discovered that helping others generated the greatest feeling of happiness and often while Uber driving I find I am doing just that, helping others, such as giving tourists guided tours. I am not sure how I got onto this thread but I found reading it very interesting - thank you.

Mmm14

I can believe that I went through all the trouble and now can't earn enough. Specially today I was online with "0" job for 2,5 hours.

khanlov

here is my experience (edmonton)

I started right after they came back from the ban here in edmonton, worked for a month and then stopped. Almost every time, you would get call before you even finish your trip.
Now at times, i wait for so long before i get a call. sometimes just to piss me off ( i think), they would give me a call 15 minutes away driving on Hendey at 100km speed

UberxGTA

The only way to make money is to execute proven strategies that make money. Uber is young in Calgary and growing like any market. If you need money, the time to drive is now. If you need the money, I am here to help. PM me.
Vavvav is the biggest taxi troll on this forum. Don't believe a word he says. If he is a driver , he has NO CLUE.

I can believe that I went through all the trouble and now can't earn enough. Specially today I was online with "0" job for 2,5 hours.

What were you doing? Explain your driving strategy please.

Vavvav

To make $250 a week after gas you would need to bring in about $300 a week. It sounds like you would need to work the 12 power hours, 8pm to 2am Friday and Saturday, at $18 an hour average that works out to $216.

To get the $84 total needed to bump up to $300 pre gas you would have to put in another 12 hours during the week, at $7 an average, about one trip per hour which would be what the average is.

During the power hours you will average 2 or 3 per hour. During the non power hours you might get two in one hour and then nothing for two hours, so the average works out to about 1, most trips average $7 per hour.

8am to 9am are sometimes considered power hours but often you get a lull after that.

You might get lucky and make $300 working the 8 to 9am shift every day and 8 to 2am Friday and Saturday milk run. That would be 17 hours to 20 hours.

The dark side of this is.you can't just double the 20 hours and say you would make $800 working 40 hours, because there are only a limited number of.power hours during the week.

Generally I find I make $400 a week with the app on 40 hours, because I don't handpick my hours and just leave the app on all day, thus leaving me working non power hours.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

ladydriven

Talk to other local drivers and ask them. The Albert market is not like Ontario it is very soft remember Uber is charging 20% less in Ontario just because they do not have to pay HST we do not have that situation here so fares here are not that much under what cabs cost so it is just far more competitive than Ontario also our economy is poorer right now. Ontario drivers should not be trying to tell you about the Alberta market as their situation doesn't translate here. Bottom line the majority of the time your profit margin will be under $12.00. It is a hobby, something to do in your spare time to make a little extra coin but the initial cost to get into it can outway any profit you may make also you may have to get a gst number by July and deal with yet another issue.