1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

New Insurance law?

Discussion in 'Tampa' started by louvit, May 13, 2017.

1. Uberglenn

Uberglenn Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I assume they will apply to everyone who drives for uber/lyft or any body else

2. Shan.spencer2007

Shan.spencer2007 Active Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Because we have crazy drivers in Florida, and I hope it's only $10/month

3. louvit

louvit Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    When you got your insurance policy and they asked how do you use your can what did you answer? Most people say for pleasure only or if you have a job you say to and from work. Who actually said their car is their work? Not many I bet and also I'd be surprised if they insured you if you said your car is your job.

Geico will not do rideshare at all, at least in Tampa

4. Bean

Bean Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Not currently, but they're coming to Florida with rideshare in the coming months.

5. louvit

louvit Active Member

Driving:
    UberX

Well they only have until July 1 from what I hear and where did you hear that? and clue on the increase? I have a perfect driving record, like that matters...lol

6. Bean

Bean Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
  7. DAG

DAG Well-Known Member

As Donald Trump might say, "the system (Florida's insurance industry) is rigged"!

8. louvit

louvit Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    So what are all going to do? just keep driving and take the risk? Pay 2-3x as much for ins? or pack it in? I've asked before and no one will say

got a quote from them 341 a month and 350. down payment, I pay 140. a month now

9. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    I quit ubering in prep for this. Just in a taxi now with full commercial coverage.

You're at risk of losing your insurance if you have to file ANY kind of claim, even if your not online at all, because it will probobly become standard operating procedure for the insurance companies ask uber about drivers being online so they can determine if they can auto-decline a claim.

I've determined that the risk isn't worth it.

And when i was an independent operator Cabbie insurance my #3 cost after the car itself and fuel.

Commercial insurance isn't a joke, and paying 3 times as much for insurance is a bargain.

For most people 10-11 hours a week of driving is a heck of a lot.

For us it's 60+ hours a week usually.

This is what your paying so much more for. As a rideshare driver YOUR insurance company will still be on the hook to fix your car. This still represents a large increase in liability.

If you were making what you should a mile covering the extra insurance cost wouldn't be an issue,

But we aren't so this should be a wake up call.

10. DAG

DAG Well-Known Member

1. Don't really know what I'm gonna do.
    2. Will NOT drive uf risk is high (I have to re-assess "high").
    3. Can NOT afford pay double what I pay now.
    4. Likely will pack UBER in and try Pizza delivery. Only risk there, for me, is walking and climbing stairs successfully.

11. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    If you don't have a "rideshare" insurance policy you risk losing your current policy without warning,

And risking your car getting totaled with zero insurance payout (during "period 1")

By the letter of the law and uber's insurance, you have zero coverage for your own car during period 1.

The state law specifically allows your insurer to deny coverage for EVERYTHING, anytime your logged into uber, for the sole reason being your logged into uber.

Uber will not provide coverage for your vehicle unless you are on an active trip. Either going to a pickup or while driving a customer.

SOOO......

This is a pretty darned big hole, i don't know about you but i drive while logged in without being on a trip ALL the time.

12. louvit

louvit Active Member

Driving:
    UberX

yea, about the pizza delivery. that is also using your car for business purposes. What does your ins company have you down for. Mine says I do not use my car for work. So I think there is risk there also.... Like I said it's still using your car for business!!! check it out before you think it's safer.

13. louvit

louvit Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I just went online and got a quote for commercial ins. from Liberty Mutual. Full coverage 100-300k, collision and all it was 303.00 a month....I pay 140.00 a month now but that is for a personal use policy

14. Shan.spencer2007

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I don't think uber of Florida are stupid to require the driver to have a commercial insurance, because it's very expensive and driving uber full time or part time it won't cover it. Maybe they will add an option in car insurance for rideshare. We need to wait until July 1st and see what's gonna happen.

15. louvit

louvit Active Member

Driving:
    UberX

but how do you find out, if I call my ins. company that's a dead giveaway...lol

16. Shan.spencer2007

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    What I'm saying it's we have to wait until July 1st and see what insurance companies will do

17. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    You don't need anything beyond Uber's coverage to be legally covered to state mandated levels.

What you need is a policy that covers YOU and YOUR car and won't drop you for ubering.

18. louvit

louvit Active Member

Driving:
    UberX

Try to find that...lol

Check out this link I found for rideshare

http://therideshareguy.com/rideshare-insurance-options-for-drivers/

19. Coach Bob

Coach Bob Member

I, for one, have decided that, unless USAA offers their rideshare/gap coverage in Florida, I’m done. They offer it in other states for less than $10/month additional, so I would be surprised if they do not. That said, even driving a Prius, I don’t make enough after-expense income to justify spending more money on insurance. Foremost is outrageous; nearly 5 times what I currently pay. So, it may be bye-bye ridesharing.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Dallas007 likes this.
  20. CTK

CTK Well-Known Member

I wonder what the deal is with Foremost. I've had them since March of this year and as I've said previously their rates are, for me anyway, very competitive to Geico.