NEW INSURANCE FROM FARMERS FOR UBERX DRIVERS

MrsUberJax

INSURANCE DESIGNED FOR FLORIDA RIDESHARE DRIVER PARTNERS
Farmers Insurance®, one of the nation's largest personal auto insurer groups, is now offering new rideshare coverage designed specifically for driver partners in Florida. Insurance in Florida is provided under the Foremost® brand, part of Farmers Insurance Group®.
What Does Foremost's Rideshare Coverage Include?
From the time you're logged into the app until you've been matched with a rider, this coverage gives you the choice to meet your own individual needs by selecting your own coverage limits and additional coverages, including Comprehensive and Collision coverage, which protect against damages to your vehicle.
Once you've been matched with a rider and through the completion of the trip (when the rider exits the vehicle), Uber's coverage becomes primary with a $1 million limit of liability insurance coverage. You can find more details here.

How Does It Work?
It's simple. The coverage provided by Foremost, a Farmers® company, extends the coverage on a personal auto policy to the coverage limits you purchase, as well as any additional optional coverages you have, during the time you're logged into the app and are waiting to accept a trip request. For more information, contact a Foremost agent by tapping here or calling 1-800-420-4271.

upload_2016-7-25_18-24-12.png

Manotas

Peterson posted on the Miami group that he was quoted about $250, maybe up north might be a little less. This only covers us when we're sitting in a parking lot waiting for a ping or driving to the next parking sport after the last drop off. For a part-time driver like me it's not worth it. I guess I might be better off just getting a part-time weekend job

ajdavis

Good Morning. I went yesterday and spoke with the office of Motor Vehicle Inspection.
This is where you need to go in order to obtain a permit to drive in the city of Jax. Taxi/driver 4 hire etc. This is the instruction sheet they gave me to show everything I needed to do and in what order

#1 Get an Occupational License at the Tax Collector's office at 231 E. Forsyth St. 32202 (He could not tell me what this would cost)
*Provide a company name
*logo/ color scheme
*Fee schedule/ copy of fee schedule
*Uniforms description, if applicable
*Communication Equipment
*Meter?

#2 Buy Commercial Insurance (and by the way the guy told me it runs around $1500 a month but I pray that was every 6 months instead)
*Minimum coverage (per Fla Statue 92-1068-933 municipal ordinance s220.215)
*$125.000 single injury/one accident
*$300,000 multi injuries/one accident
*$50,000 property damage
*$300,000 combined coverage

**Certificate holder has to be:
City of Jacksonville
Motor Vehicle Inspection
1251 Jessie St, Jax Fl. 32206

*Has to be cancelled in the following way
*Cancellation Notice:
Insurer will provide 30 days' notice of cancellation
(the wording "Endeavor to do so" will NOT be acceptable with the city of Jacksonville Risk Management...)

Now that you have your Occupational Lic. and Commercial Insurance you have to go back to the Motor Vehicle Inspections office and apply for a permit to become a driver for hire.
This entails doing the following
*Application to drive which cost $50
*Background check for the whole State of Florida which cost $24
*Medallion / Permit cost $100
*Pre-arranged transportation annual inspection $7.73

Then every year in January you have to get the permit renewed which cost $100 and get your vehicle inspected $7.73

Needless to say I didn't feel like working yesterday and have been very depressed since getting this wonderful news...
And since Uber won't allow the state of fl. to view and go over their insurance policy it does not hold up in this state. That million dollar policy is worthless in our state. So, if we get into a wreck it's on us. We will be sue personally and our current insurance company will most like drop us period... I sent several hours yesterday trying to get an insurance quote for commercial insurance for a driver for hire and got no where. Still don't have a clue what it would cost... And here I had thought I'd found a good way to earn an income. I actually feel that it's all BS and that I was missed led by UBER!!!

ajdavis

INSURANCE DESIGNED FOR FLORIDA RIDESHARE DRIVER PARTNERS
Farmers Insurance®, one of the nation's largest personal auto insurer groups, is now offering new rideshare coverage designed specifically for driver partners in Florida. Insurance in Florida is provided under the Foremost® brand, part of Farmers Insurance Group®.
What Does Foremost's Rideshare Coverage Include?
From the time you're logged into the app until you've been matched with a rider, this coverage gives you the choice to meet your own individual needs by selecting your own coverage limits and additional coverages, including Comprehensive and Collision coverage, which protect against damages to your vehicle.
Once you've been matched with a rider and through the completion of the trip (when the rider exits the vehicle), Uber's coverage becomes primary with a $1 million limit of liability insurance coverage. You can find more details here.

How Does It Work?
It's simple. The coverage provided by Foremost, a Farmers® company, extends the coverage on a personal auto policy to the coverage limits you purchase, as well as any additional optional coverages you have, during the time you're logged into the app and are waiting to accept a trip request. For more information, contact a Foremost agent by tapping here or calling 1-800-420-4271.

View attachment 50612
Just called Farmers/Foremost Insurance company and was told they do not have any agents in Fla. and does not write policy for such. So that being said I don't know where you're getting your information from but it is bogus...

big daddy jax

Just called Farmers/Foremost Insurance company and was told they do not have any agents in Fla. and does not write policy for such. So that being said I don't know where you're getting your information from but it is bogus...
It's not bogus there's an agent out of Orlando writing policies..my quote from her is twice as much as what I currently pay so too rich for my blood...it doesn't not count as commercial ins. in the eyes of the city...it's just nearly a personal policy that knows you drive for uber and will cover you when you have app on and are waiting for pings

jonpk

I called Foremost. Lady was very pleasant and told me they absolutely have rideshare insurance for Florida rideshare drivers and described how it works and when their rideshare coverage begins and ends. The insurance plan they offered me for the amount of coverage I wanted was just shy of $3k/year. That amount also included full personal coverage on my UBERX vehicle as well as liability insurance for my older, non UBERX personal vehicle. I currently pay to my current insurance company ~$1.2k/year, full coverage on newer car and just liability on the older. I could have probably got a better deal if I played with the amounts and deductibles but it looks like now, ~$1.8/year over what I currently have for two cars for their rideshare coverage plus the same policies I currently have with my current insurance company. Hope this information helps.

jonpk

Good Morning. I went yesterday and spoke with the office of Motor Vehicle Inspection.
This is where you need to go in order to obtain a permit to drive in the city of Jax. Taxi/driver 4 hire etc. This is the instruction sheet they gave me to show everything I needed to do and in what order

#1 Get an Occupational License at the Tax Collector's office at 231 E. Forsyth St. 32202 (He could not tell me what this would cost)
*Provide a company name
*logo/ color scheme
*Communication Equipment
*Meter?

#2 Buy Commercial Insurance (and by the way the guy told me it runs around $1500 a month but I pray that was every 6 months instead)
*$50,000 property damage

City of Jacksonville
Motor Vehicle Inspection

*Cancellation Notice:
(the wording "Endeavor to do so" will NOT be acceptable with the city of Jacksonville Risk Management...)

Now that you have your Occupational Lic. and Commercial Insurance you have to go back to the Motor Vehicle Inspections office and apply for a permit to become a driver for hire.

Then every year in January you have to get the permit renewed which cost $100 and get your vehicle inspected $7.73

Needless to say I didn't feel like working yesterday and have been very depressed since getting this wonderful news...
And since Uber won't allow the state of fl. to view and go over their insurance policy it does not hold up in this state. That million dollar policy is worthless in our state. So, if we get into a wreck it's on us. We will be sue personally and our current insurance company will most like drop us period... I sent several hours yesterday trying to get an insurance quote for commercial insurance for a driver for hire and got no where. Still don't have a clue what it would cost... And here I had thought I'd found a good way to earn an income. I actually feel that it's all BS and that I was missed led by UBER!!!
A city occupational license is $45.00 annually. I don't understand the "company name" requirement. To have an "official" business name you would have to register a business name and establish a business with the state of Florida and that cost if I remember is around $150.00. They have to do a name search to make sure your business name is not already taken. Also, if you open a business you have to apply for a federal ID number known as an EIN, (employee ID number). That is for business tax purposes. You'll need that to keep your business finances and expenses separate from your personal ones. I've had a personal business for several years because I'm self employed. It is all very easy to do just costs as all things....money and time. It looks like from what you have as list #1 was written for a cab company startup and not something like rideshare. All the rest sounds pretty standard from what I've heard and read.

I would tend the be of the opinion that the app to drive and the medallion are just the city's way of garnering revenue with no real benefit to the public safety. The inspections and BG check I would think are proper to require with even the requirement for commercial type insurance a bit much if you'd be driving for UBERX since they provide what sounds like a very substantial policy. But like all things, everyone wants their cut from the governor on down. I don't recall the feds charging for a EIN but you may want to hire an accountant or an attorney to set it all up if you aren't to savvy about these things.

ajdavis

It's not bogus there's an agent out of Orlando writing policies..my quote from her is twice as much as what I currently pay so too rich for my blood...it doesn't not count as commercial ins. in the eyes of the city...it's just nearly a personal policy that knows you drive for uber and will cover you when you have app on and are waiting for pings

Pls send me a link or ph. number or email address. I have spent the past two days just trying to get a quote nothing more. WTF. How is a person suppose to make a living in a city that the taxi companies seem to be in charge.

ajdavis

A
A city occupational license is $45.00 annually. I don't understand the "company name" requirement. To have an "official" business name you would have to register a business name and establish a business with the state of Florida and that cost if I remember is around $150.00. They have to do a name search to make sure your business name is not already taken. Also, if you open a business you have to apply for a federal ID number known as an EIN, (employee ID number). That is for business tax purposes. You'll need that to keep your business finances and expenses separate from your personal ones. I've had a personal business for several years because I'm self employed. It is all very easy to do just costs as all things....money and time. It looks like from what you have as list #1 was written for a cab company startup and not something like rideshare. All the rest sounds pretty standard from what I've heard and read.

I would tend the be of the opinion that the app to drive and the medallion are just the city's way of garnering revenue with no real benefit to the public safety. The inspections and BG check I would think are proper to require with even the requirement for commercial type insurance a bit much if you'd be driving for UBERX since they provide what sounds like a very substantial policy. But like all things, everyone wants their cut from the governor on down. I don't recall the feds charging for a EIN but you may want to hire an accountant or an attorney to set it all up if you aren't to savvy about these things.
All the stuff you mentioned in the top part of your post is what the man was talking about yesterday at the Motor Vehicle Inspection office. he basically said I had to start my own business. Company name and all. He even mentioned the EIN...

ajdavis

PLs tell me that everyone understands that Uber does not care about us. That the so called million dollar policy is not valid in the State of Florida. Do not take my word for it go down to the Motor Vehicle Inspection Office and speak with Guy Smith. He will answer all the questions you need answered. He explained how since Uber hasn't allowed Florida to view it's Insurance policy Florida does not have to recognize it. You are driving at your own risk and so am I. Not only that but you have to get an Occupational Lic., at least $300,000 worth of commercial insurance, apply to get the medallion, pass a background check, pay to get your car inspected. And after all of that they can still deny you the permit to drive in the city of Jacksonville. I wanted this to be the next great thing. A wonderful way to make a living. But the reality of the situation is this, until the State of Florida gets a piece of the pie they are not just going to let us drive around their city and not pay to do so. The taxi companies are behind them pushing to get laws passed that will take our profits and as far as Uber is concerned every time I login they get theirs right off the top. Once again they do not care about us. They don't live here. And just another little bit of information for anyone who did not read all the stuff that Uber sent you before you were approved to drive. They are not responsible for the regulations in each city and state. It is up to us to know what our city expects from us and to jump thru the right hoops to make sure we are legal...

And again pls will someone send me the phone number for the insurance company in the city of Jacksonville that will insure rideshare drivers????

UofMDriver

*Provide a company name
*logo/ color scheme
*Communication Equipment
*Meter?

*$50,000 property damage

City of Jacksonville
Motor Vehicle Inspection

*Cancellation Notice:

Seems like a lot of work to make pennies.

Just called Foremost, and my quote for both cars (only one with Uber) was $1,600 per 6 months. Pretty steep for a part time driver. My guess is now that Foremost is in the state you will see others start offering it which will bring the price down.

MrsUberJax

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ajdavis
ACTUALLY... THE WAY THE LAWS ARE ON THE BOOKS NOW... IS HOW UBER WANTED THEM ORIGNALLY WHEN THEY CAME TO TOWN IN AUGUST OF 2013.. NOT THE CAB COMPANIES.. THEY HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.. THEY FOUGHT THEM TOOTH AND NAIL..... but..I'm really glad you talked with Guy Smith, You are a lot smarter than most of the folks on here that take Uber's word for it that they will be covered if involved in an accident. This new insurance program that they have with Farmers.. is PROOF... that they policy they have now.. is not enough for ANYONE.. to drive on their own personal insurance.... IF it was good enough to begin with you wouldn't need this additional rideshare insurance.......

So as far as the business goes...
Yes, do have to "start" your own business... but you can be a sole proprietor, that is someone who runs a business in their own name, and then you are fine... I know he told you that.. it's on the forms.. You dont' have to do all the fancy stuff, yes it must be an official business, run by a sole proprietor, that means that you don't have to get an EIN, you can just report the income on your own tax returns, but you DO HAVE TO GET A BUSINESS LICENSE... and once you do that... and get your insurance, then you are ok... honey it's not that hard... call me.. I'll help you.

I hope you have gone out there and talked with the Black Car Drivers that are on the street now. I hope you have had them show you their pay screens.. I hope you're not taking anybody's word for what they are making.. because it is hard out there man.. hard.. all the Black Car Drivers in Jacksonville are hurting because the STREETS ARE SATURATED WITH NEWER DRIVERS AND HUNDREDS of UBER X DRIVERS AS WELL. Especially the summer... we all starve.. LOL.

I have posted the guys name, in TAMPA his name is brooks bullington, he is the guy that does the insurance for all the black car drivers in Jacksonville with Ascendant Insurance Company. If you can find an INDEPENDENT COMMERCIAL INSURANCE BROKER IN JAX.. THEY CAN DO IT TOO.. but I never bothered to look for one because Brooks does it all online.. Brooks Bullington, Bullington Insurance.. TAMPA FL.... You can also get a policy from Progressive Commercial , or State Farm Commercial or Geico Commercial...

Last edited: