1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New HoustonDriver Here - UberXL anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston' started by hqen2000, Sep 11, 2015.

1. hqen2000

hqen2000

Driving:
    UberX
    I've signed up as an Uber Partner (should be done any day), and plan on driving my Honda Pilot for UberXL. I live in the Clear Lake area, not sure how many XL riders are around here if any. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I should be driving next weekend. I'm a night owl so I plan on driving Friday and Saturday nights, and maybe a little during the week. It's my understanding that's when there are more riders anyway.

Is there a way to ensure I only get XL riders? I don't really want to drive X. Since I'm driving an SUV it doesn't seem cost effective to drive for X.

2. tripAces

tripAces

Driving:
    UberX
    I would get the TNC. You will get runs into Downtown at times.
    XL only I think you can email Uber and request.
    That area is ok but crowded with drivers. It is not like Downtown where it caught on fast.

Richard Cranium likes this.
  3. hqen2000

hqen2000

Driving:
    UberX
    How long does it take to get a TNC? I guess part of that depends on the drug test and physical but what is the typical length of time?

I'm cool with driving Downtown or wherever to drive if that's where I need to be. Otherwise would I just chill at home till I get a ping and then leave?

4. I drive XL. Once you have your TNC you can request to have the option at the vehicle selection screen to drive XL exclusively or X and XL. Keep in mind that Uber takes a 28% cut vs 20% for X.
    Do the math and see if you feel it is worth it to you. Truthfully, IMHO I would rather have a fuel efficient X car as you will go through more gas, so factor that in as well.However do NOT buy a car to drive uber. Buy a car because you need one and use it for uber if you choose.

RC

5. tripAces

tripAces

Driving:
    UberX
    Physical/Drug test doesn't take long. Its the fingerprints. It could take a couple days to get in to do them. Then up to 5 days posted for COH to see them.
    If you haven't been yet. You really need to go to Office Hours to get the TNC packet.

6. What eats up the mpg is sitting in traffic. I re-set my trip computer every time I get gas. On days where I log airport trips, both mpg and average speed are higher. On days where I have a lot of mini trips in town during rush hour., both are lower.

Richard Cranium likes this.
  7. Bukrub

Bukrub

Driving:
    UberX
    I get better milege in traffic than on the highway.

Old Rocker and Richard Cranium like this.
  8. Ok rub it in Prius boy ;)

Old Rocker and Bukrub like this.
  9. HOU

HOU

In Houston you Can Not opt to only get XL pings. You can decline non XL pings but you will get few trips. The only positive is if your only driving weekend nights you will get 3-4 pings a night although they are rarely worth the extra cost of operating an SUV but you will figure that out soon enough.

10. hqen2000

hqen2000

Driving:
    UberX
    Makes sense, this is a car that I just own. 2012 Pilot Touring 4x4 with 40k miles. Its my family car. I plan on just doing a few rides on the weekends, nothing major. I hope driving Uber XL i'll get a slightly higher class of people than X. Is that the case?

11. Bukrub

Bukrub

Driving:
    UberX
    Nope, just the same classless people with more stuff.

12. The only difference between X and XL is that an X vehicle must seat four passengers, and an XL, six. So people requesting XLs either have a large group of people, a lot of luggage, or are moving something.

13. HOUTXRon

HOUTXRon

I have a Pilot as well. They are all the cheapest class of people. No you can't, at present, have an option to take XL-only rides in Houston (at least I was told it was so by an Uber CSR). Some others markets apparently do have this option. You can reject Xs, however (accept cancel reason other). Not a whole lot of XL-only trips though.

From my 6-8 weekend experience (and by simple math), XL rides are more profitable than X. The longer XL rides are the most profitable.

To give you an idea I've been grossing ~$200 per week for 10-12 hours Fri & Sat nights. I don't care about the location. Wherever the trips take me.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  14. No offense, but that is not correct. I would respectfully suggest you visit the local office and have them adjust your account.

RC

15. No...simple answer. :)

16. HOU

HOU

Things could have changed but I have a XL, select and X (yes 3 separate vehicles) and I stopped driving XL, and Select because Uber said they could not make pings exclusive to either. If that's changed great but I assure you that is my experience. The email pasted below is from April.

"Thanks for writing in - requests are delivered to the closest available partner that is not on a trip. At this time there is no option to opt-out of receiving uberX requests only, however if this becomes available we will let you know."

Michael
    Uber Technologies

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
    Renegade likes this.
  17. HOUTXRon

HOUTXRon

I got a very similar response from Uber on the same question. This was last month. The first CSR girl ended up lecturing me in her email about how I'll be making more money by making more trips (X and XL) and less money by sitting around waiting for XL-only trips. After getting a fitting response from me, another CSR took over (seemed to be somewhere outside the US). She told me that I could take XL-only option if I wanted to. I asked her to sign me up. Got a third email from someone above her, I guess, stating that she was sorry for the incorrect info provided by the second person and that once this option becomes available for Houston they'll notify me.

18. HOUTXRon

HOUTXRon

Hey RC, what car do you drive? If it is an XL, do you have the option to take only XL trips? If so how you got it enabled? Wondering what your info source is.

19. GoneUber

GoneUber

I have an XL vehicle but rarely get XL requests. Honestly, those pax are the worse especially at night. I had a rude and rowdy crowd one night a few weeks ago and haven't worked past 8pm since. Most requests are UberX and the crosstown trips are worth it.

20. GoneUber

GoneUber

I once had an XL request for a IKEA furniture. She literally requested a SUV bcuz she was making a return to IKEA from Hermann Dr area. How ridiculous! I benefitted from a $40 fare.