Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

New here, but a Rideshare Veteran!

4K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  NauticalWheeler 
#1 ·
Hi There!

I’ve been doing RS quiet a while, and have been aware of this forum for years, so I thought I would participate.

I had a long and wonderful career in the Entertainment Biz, (Motion Picture, Television, Music) and spent most of that time as a Technologies/IT Director at a Major Hollywood Film Studio, as well as Tech Consulting for a wide variety of Corporations and businesses both inside and Outside of the Entertainment industry. After 25 years, it was time for a break, so I decided to semi-retire while I figured out what was going to come next. I get bored easily, so I decided to Rideshare for fun. I found that I really enjoyed elements of it, a LOT more than I had ever thought I would. So, I have continued doing it, and I have amassed around 25,000 rides in the last few years. Being a tech guy, I was thrilled to be on the “receiving” end of the type of Tech I had spent my life working in. I love what rideshare brings to people that could not otherwise afford this kind of transport. I also love the freedom it gives to drivers who are pursuing other avenues, such as musicians, actors, etc. So, it is nice being part of this. I NEVER dreamed I would do it this Long. I am getting itchy to get back into the Creative/Artistic/Tech world that I lived in for so long, but I will probably always drive a bit here and there.

Hopefully, I can lend some of what I have learned to others here.

Uber/Lyft is an incredible thing in many ways…BUT, as I know everyone agrees, they both have their ugly side. I have DEFINITE opinions on both of those platforms, and I look forward to sharing my ideas and thoughts.

Nice to be Here!

See less See more
#6 ·
Hi There!

I've been doing RS quiet a while, and have been aware of this forum for years, so I thought I would participate.

I had a long and wonderful career in the Entertainment Biz, (Motion Picture, Television, Music) and spent most of that time as a Technologies/IT Director at a Major Hollywood Film Studio, as well as Tech Consulting for a wide variety of Corporations and businesses both inside and Outside of the Entertainment industry. After 25 years, it was time for a break, so I decided to semi-retire while I figured out what was going to come next. I get bored easily, so I decided to Rideshare for fun. I found that I really enjoyed elements of it, a LOT more than I had ever thought I would. So, I have continued doing it, and I have amassed around 25,000 rides in the last few years. Being a tech guy, I was thrilled to be on the "receiving" end of the type of Tech I had spent my life working in. I love what rideshare brings to people that could not otherwise afford this kind of transport. I also love the freedom it gives to drivers who are pursuing other avenues, such as musicians, actors, etc. So, it is nice being part of this. I NEVER dreamed I would do it this Long. I am getting itchy to get back into the Creative/Artistic/Tech world that I lived in for so long, but I will probably always drive a bit here and there.

Uber/Lyft is an incredible thing in many ways…BUT, as I know everyone agrees, they both have their ugly side. I have DEFINITE opinions on both of those platforms, and I look forward to sharing my ideas and thoughts.

Nice to be Here!
Welcome to the jungle.

Are you driving currently?

#7 ·
This thread hasn't really gotten started yet. Once it does, know that there's a helpful feature that allows you to tune out posters who contribute nothing of value with their posts: just click on an offending person's avatar, then select "Ignore".

Have you been driving through the pandemic? How have your last three months been?

#15 ·
Thank you! at least one human here....lol....I know all about the online idiots that populate these places. Doesn't bother me.

Yes, I have been driving, but I have switched for a bit to Postmates, because it seems like more of a direct way do something positive. There are people who are really scared to death to step outside, especially older folks, and delivering food is something that seems to be so appreciated. Here in Los Angeles, things have picked up Dramatically, and it "feels" near back-to-normal on the roads. I have, however, been VERY surprised at the number of Passengers that do not wear masks, even though it is mandated by Lyft/Uber.....

Welcome to the party.... Ignore the haters lol
Thank you!...there always haters....lol

#9 ·
Hi There!

I've been doing RS quiet a while, and have been aware of this forum for years, so I thought I would participate.

I had a long and wonderful career in the Entertainment Biz, (Motion Picture, Television, Music) and spent most of that time as a Technologies/IT Director at a Major Hollywood Film Studio, as well as Tech Consulting for a wide variety of Corporations and businesses both inside and Outside of the Entertainment industry. After 25 years, it was time for a break, so I decided to semi-retire while I figured out what was going to come next. I get bored easily, so I decided to Rideshare for fun. I found that I really enjoyed elements of it, a LOT more than I had ever thought I would. So, I have continued doing it, and I have amassed around 25,000 rides in the last few years. Being a tech guy, I was thrilled to be on the "receiving" end of the type of Tech I had spent my life working in. I love what rideshare brings to people that could not otherwise afford this kind of transport. I also love the freedom it gives to drivers who are pursuing other avenues, such as musicians, actors, etc. So, it is nice being part of this. I NEVER dreamed I would do it this Long. I am getting itchy to get back into the Creative/Artistic/Tech world that I lived in for so long, but I will probably always drive a bit here and there.

Nice to be Here!
Here we go with another one of these "bored, affluent retiree" posters (usually "new" members).

If these posters are genuine (I've got serious doubts), they're a pathetic waste.

Are you bored? You want "meet" people? You don't need the money? Volunteer.

Meals on Wheels is an excellent organization that will cure your "boredness" and allow you to "meet" a lot of appreciative people.

There are many other ways to volunteer that's does a thousand percent more good than helping Uber exploit their drivers.

Also, you're taking rides away from other drivers who actually need the money.

#11 ·
Hi There!

Nice to be Here!
Please, tell me some tricks! I am all ears...

#16 · (Edited)
I have DEFINITE opinions on both of those platforms, and I look forward to sharing my ideas and thoughts.
HammerJam55? Seriously? 25 years in tech and HammerJam is the best you can do for a screenname? :sneaky:
Just busting your chops guy. Anyways 🤔
I have a 30 year IT career, mainly Citrix, VMware, IAAS, DAAS, Virtualization and Managed Services with a sprinkling on mobile app development stretching back to Palm Treo days. I was a project manger for a major big box retail app on iOS and Android and a half dozen lesser know apps.
I'd be interested is talking with you about a competing Ride Share app. Lyft and Uber are classic examples of piss poor IPO overspending companies and management that remind me of the dot com bust days, this market is ripe for a new player takeovers.
There are tons of enhancements Lyft and Uber are missing in this vertical. I believe happy drivers will make for happy customers.
You up for a long winded conference call to discuss?
Cheers,
Matt

#19 ·
Uber announced a partnership with Life Reimagined, a non-profit subsidiary of AARP - the advocacy group for aging citizens - under which it will seek new drivers among the over-40 group.

For Uber, the move taps a significant population of people who are looking for work and have good driving records but might not have thought previously of becoming what the company calls "driver partners."

Safety experts have long pointed out that older drivers, despite what many people think, are actually safer on the road than younger drivers. Data on traffic accidents indicate older drivers are involved in fewer crashes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.