New guy with a dumb question

Chris leggett

My wife just started doing this. We live near victorville. She has made 2 trips down the hill to redlands which is great. But no luck getting a customer going back up so she is losing money. Plus she is afraid of going to lax on a friday which could easily be a 7 hr drive on a friday.

Any input? Thx.

miggon123

Not familiar with California. But it happens. She's going to have a lot of trips with deadmiles going back. If she really doesn't want to waste gas, she can park and wait for something for a few minutes but that might be a waste of time. She can maybe set a destination filter. Also advice getting her some sort of protection. Lots of creeps and crazy stuff happens all hours of the days.

Chris leggett

Is the 100 miles from home or each run? From home to say Rancho Cucamonga is 60 miles. Then from there to los angelas is about 80. The miles are not bad. Its the traffic.

I drive a truck and have been stuck in that traffic on a friday. It takes 5 hrs minumum to drive from lax to rancho cucamonga. Then 3 more from there to home...or more depending on traffic

Miggon123...she waited an hr and no rides back home.

AuxCordBoston

My wife just started doing this. We live near victorville. She has made 2 trips down the hill to redlands which is great. But no luck getting a customer going back up so she is losing money. Plus she is afraid of going to lax on a friday which could easily be a 7 hr drive on a friday.

Any input? Thx.
Today I saw a woman Uber driver. She was really ugly and was missing teeth. But I'm in Boston and not CA.

Jennyma

Is the 100 miles from home or each run? From home to say Rancho Cucamonga is 60 miles. Then from there to los angelas is about 80. The miles are not bad. Its the traffic.

I drive a truck and have been stuck in that traffic on a friday. It takes 5 hrs minumum to drive from lax to rancho cucamonga. Then 3 more from there to home...or more depending on traffic

Miggon123...she waited an hr and no rides back home.

It's 100 miles per ride, no matter where you are. Your home has nothing to do with it.

Trump Economics

No worries -- Lyft is a dumb platform.

Yea, Lyft is just a great big pile of poo. It's best not to expect too much from them at any time -- inclusive of funds for food, oxygen or mental stability.

Hope this helps..

https://uberpeople.net/threads/required-reading-for-new-lyft-drivers-and-some-old-ones.159692/#post-2378094

Any input? Thx.

Shakey Jake

The chances of you getting a ride like that should be slim because most people do not want to pay that much for a ride to LAX.

You have the right to refuse a ride. Tell your pax that it is just too far for you and that you have an appointment, or you need to pick up your kids in an hour.

Reactions: MHR

buzzy77

I've recently stopped driving for Lyft. I couldn't get enough fares in the semi-rural area I live in unless I was willing to drive 25 minutes to pick up a pax (which I quickly learned to stop doing). The only way I made a decent fare was to drive 60-70 miles one way to NYC, but I was never able to get a fare going back. So after so many trips home with an empty car, I sat down to figure what I was actually making. Turns out less than $10 an hour. And I had to figure in the mileage that I was racking up plus the wear and tear on my car. It simply wasn't worth it. Drivers that live in or close to a major metropolitan area have a better chance of making this work, but for someone like your wife, it will probably be much harder.

Tr4vis Ka1anick

Yeah, maybe if she is in town running errands, out for lunch, visiting friends or shopping and decides to get a few rides locally, that might be worth while. Otherwise good luck.