• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New Guy-Multiple Riders

Afalzone

I started driving last week here in Chattanooga and so far really enjoy this as a part time gig. I do have a question regarding multiple riders though. Does Uber not charge per rider or is the rate for up to 4 riders in my car? I seem to understand that the riders can split the cost if they want. I just thought I was able to charge per rider when I started. Uber needs to improve their info and training on things like this. Thanks!

Tony

JMBF831

When a client requests an UberX car they are paying for up to the four seatbelts. So yes, when four people take a fare one mile up the street and you make $3 it does mean that they all had to pay about a dollar each...

And yes, pax do have the option to split the fare.

Last edited:

KGB7

Same price for 1 as same price for 4.

Uber does not care what you want, what you think or what you care. You can email them about your feelings a hundred times, nothing will change.

Deal with it or move on to something else.

It is what it is.

FlDriver

It's per trip, not per rider, just like a cab. I'm not sure why anyone would think you get more for driving 2 or 3 people vs one person, and if the fare was higher for extra people, a lot of riders would complain and wonder why, since it doesn't cost you more to give that ride.

SECOTIME

If the pax doesn't bring 3 friends then the joke is on them. The minimum fare here after Ubers pull is $2.40.. which = 60 cents per seatbelt.. if my pax doesn't bring 3 friends then I get to laugh at them for being so stupid and wasting $1.80

FlDriver

If the pax doesn't bring 3 friends then the joke is on them. The minimum fare here after Ubers pull is $2.40.. which = 60 cents per seatbelt.. if my pax doesn't bring 3 friends then I get to laugh at them for being so stupid and wasting $1.80
How is it stupid? What if they don't have 3 friends with them who want to go to the same place at the same time?

80% of my riders are solo- going to or from work, to the store, etc. If you look around, most of the cars on the road only have one person in them, especially during the day.

Most of the times when I have multiple people, they are going out at night to some event or a bar or restaurant.

I just took one guy to the airport. Should he have brought friends with him who weren't flying anywhere? How would they have gotten home?

Clearly you haven't thought much about this.

Reactions: J5@

KGB7

How is it stupid? What if they don't have 3 friends with them who want to go to the same place at the same time?

80% of my riders are solo- going to or from work, to the store, etc. If you look around, most of the cars on the road only have one person in them, especially during the day.

Most of the times when I have multiple people, they are going out at night to some event or a bar or restaurant.

I just took one guy to the airport. Should he have brought friends with him who weren't flying anywhere? How would they have gotten home?

Clearly you haven't thought much about this.
Time to get new friends. At least bring a blow up doll.

JimS

It's per trip, not per rider, just like a cab. I'm not sure why anyone would think you get more for driving 2 or 3 people vs one person, and if the fare was higher for extra people, a lot of riders would complain and wonder why, since it doesn't cost you more to give that ride.
Every cab I've seen charges for additional passengers...

FlDriver

Every cab I've seen charges for additional passengers...
Where was that? I've been in cabs all over the US and a few other countries, and none of them charged per person, always for the ride.

Ever heard of the concept of sharing a cab to save money by splitting the cost with your friends?

About the only services I've seen are the shuttle vans to and from the airport. Those tend to be scheduled and have a fixed rate between a specific city and the airport. They don't do other rides that we do, like taking people home from work or to the store or a bar.

JimS

I didn't say the cost was split, I said there was a fee for additional riders. Usually an extra buck or so. It's the case in Savannah, and I've seen it all over the country, too. I guess we just haven't crossed paths. :wink:

From taxifarefinder.com: Dallas $2 per extra passenger. Georgia = +$5 (but I think it's back to $1). I don't see one for St. Pete/Tampa. Honolulu charges for baggage. Seattle charges $0.50 for each pax after the first two (excluding minors).

Last edited:

Joe Falcone

Well years ago, (thats the last time i took an actual cab) more than one person costed more. So thats where this question is probably coming from.
Thanks

Reactions: Go4

Coachman

If you and your date went to a nice restaurant, and ordered an ice cream for desert, which the two of you shared, and they charged an extra fee for "sharing," you'd be pretty pissed off, wouldn't you?

CommanderXL

If you and your date went to a nice restaurant, and ordered an ice cream for desert, which the two of you shared, and they charged an extra fee for "sharing," you'd be pretty pissed off, wouldn't you?
Many restaurants do that all the time. I think they will call it a "plate" fee or something like that.

A

Arid Chauffeur

What'll really tick you off is when five people try to climb into your car when you have room for four. It's not enough they're getting a dirt-cheap ride, but then they'll ask you to break the law for them. I got into a curbside shouting match with five drunk trying to get into my car that would not accommodate them. I ended up with a crappy rating, but I did get Uber to remove that rating, after far too much time and effort.

Coachman

Many restaurants do that all the time. I think they will call it a "plate" fee or something like that.
A plate fee is charged when you order one entree or side dish or desert and ask that it be presented on two separate plates. A plate fee is not charged when you use two spoons to eat from one dish. If a place tried to charge you for that, you'd be rightly upset.

I understand that some taxis charge for additional passengers. Uber has decided to be more appealing to the customer by not charging extra. As a driver, I'm all for extra income. But it's not going to happen.

RamzFanz

Where was that? I've been in cabs all over the US and a few other countries, and none of them charged per person, always for the ride.

Ever heard of the concept of sharing a cab to save money by splitting the cost with your friends?

About the only services I've seen are the shuttle vans to and from the airport. Those tend to be scheduled and have a fixed rate between a specific city and the airport. They don't do other rides that we do, like taking people home from work or to the store or a bar.
Cabs tend to add a dollar or so for each additional. Then they take you the scenic route with no consequences.

Afalzone

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the replies. Like I said, new guy here so I didn't know how it worked initially. Never saw anything in Uber's resources. Now I know. Not an issue for me. I've only taken a cab by myself and that was a while ago so really had nothing to go on. Now to figure out how to get an Uber sticker for the car...

A

Arid Chauffeur

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, new guy here so I didn't know how it worked initially. Never saw anything in Uber's resources. Now I know. Not an issue for me. I've only taken a cab by myself and that was a while ago so really had nothing to go on. Now to figure out how to get an Uber sticker for the car...
WHOA! Under no circumstances should you be displaying trade dress (Uber logos) on your car. There is ZERO upside, but plenty of downside. Keep stickers and badges in your car and flash them when necessary only.