• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New drivers should know

R123Der45

Hi All, I have been driving uber for a period of time and thought that I should give a fair insight of the dark corners new drivers should know before taking the plunge.

1. Incentives.

I was very motivated when I first started out with uber. I did my fair share of calculations and my daily schedule. However, I was blind sighted to the fact that there is no way you can hit the peak hours incentives unless you are very lucky. If the peak hours last from 7am to 10am, you usually would be able to hit 3 hours worth and not four. Therefore the real profit you will make on the incentives is $36 x 3hrs = $108 - $21.6 (comm) - $15 (petrol) - $21 (car rental for that period of time) = $50.40 for 4 hours worth of work. (As i stated earlier, you will usually hit 3 hours incentives if you try for the 4 hours incentive. If you try for 3, you will hit 2.

$50.40 / 4 = $12.60 per hour. That this is with a $36 peak hour incentive rate.

Normally uber will pay you $21 per hour for weekdays and $25 per hour on weekends. As the timing for these non-peak incentives are long, you should be able to hit them easily.

And it should also be duly noted that driving at peak periods are prone to traffic offences, stressful road conditions and you must have very good road experience before trying that route.

2. Salary compared to office workers.
Ok. Let's assume that you are a new road warrior. You will like to work 44 hours a week like you used to. You are motivated and will take on high-level peak hours incentives. You are willing to take 1 day off on a weekday as weekends makes you more money.

Your working hours will be 7.3 hours per day (I will bring it up to 7.5hrs for easy calculation). You will not want to waste petrol going home so you will drive the full 7.5 hours. You start at 6.30am because you would like to hit the full 4 hours of $36 peak hour incentive. You will be done by 2pm.

Revenue: 3 hours of $36 per hour and 4.5 hours of $21 off-peak incentives. Total revenue is $202.50 per day.

Profit: $202.50 - $40.50 (comm) - $70 (car rental) - $40 (petrol) - $3 (parking) - $1 (car wash) = $48 per day

Per hour revenue = $48 / 7.5 = $6.40 per hour. I'll round it up to $7 per hour on weekdays as you can earn a little more on Friday.

You can make more on weekends.

Revenue: 3 hours of $36 per hour and 4.5 hours of $30 per hour. Total revenue is $243 per day.

Profit: $243 - $48.60 (comm) - $70 (car rental) - $40 (petrol) - $3 parking - $1 (car wash) = $80.40 per day

Per hour revenue = $80.4 / 7.5 = $10.72 per hour. Ill round it up to $11 per hour on weekends.

I have not counted any accidents, road summons and or days not being able to drive if you are sick. And trust me, it is easy to get illness from passengers as you are in an air con car for many hours a day. You will get stiff neck and backaches often too.

3. Customer service
To be honest, I was quite impressed by their customer service at first. They were prompt and reasonable. However, their level of customer service dropped when they started to received hard to handle questions by me. For example, when I had a dispute with incentives, there was no reply no matter how many times I asked for one.

zOrPhLiNg

Stopped reading at - 'If the peak hours last from 7am to 10am, you usually would be able to hit 3 hours worth and not four.'

You don't even know how to count properly and you want to dispute incentives.

Rest my case.

R123Der45

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe you can enlighten me and not just post without any basis. This is a forum for discussions no?

pinocchio

For part time driving, it will be better to own your own car. Renting car on per hour basis is too high and troublesome. The earnings is not worth.

As for full time drivers tied to 44hrs or work per week, you will still need to clock all the peak hours to have better earnings.

Using your calculation, fulltime drivers work 44hrs per week will have min of $2000 nett income per month. You will need to weighs your pros and cons before you decide to try out driving.

R123Der45

Thanks pinocchio. This thread is to compare normal office workers vs uber driver income and work schedule.

Thanks.

Hi All, I have been driving uber for a period of time and thought that I should give a fair insight of the dark corners new drivers should know before taking the plunge.

1. Incentives.

I was very motivated when I first started out with uber. I did my fair share of calculations and my daily schedule. However, I was blind sighted to the fact that there is no way you can hit the peak hours incentives unless you are very lucky. If the peak hours last from 7am to 10am, you usually would be able to hit 3 hours worth and not four. Therefore the real profit you will make on the incentives is $36 x 3hrs = $108 - $21.6 (comm) - $15 (petrol) - $21 (car rental for that period of time) = $50.40 for 4 hours worth of work. (As i stated earlier, you will usually hit 3 hours incentives if you try for the 4 hours incentive. If you try for 3, you will hit 2.

$50.40 / 4 = $12.60 per hour. That this is with a $36 peak hour incentive rate.

Normally uber will pay you $21 per hour for weekdays and $25 per hour on weekends. As the timing for these non-peak incentives are long, you should be able to hit them easily.

And it should also be duly noted that driving at peak periods are prone to traffic offences, stressful road conditions and you must have very good road experience before trying that route.

2. Salary compared to office workers.
Ok. Let's assume that you are a new road warrior. You will like to work 44 hours a week like you used to. You are motivated and will take on high-level peak hours incentives. You are willing to take 1 day off on a weekday as weekends makes you more money.

Your working hours will be 7.3 hours per day (I will bring it up to 7.5hrs for easy calculation). You will not want to waste petrol going home so you will drive the full 7.5 hours. You start at 6.30am because you would like to hit the full 4 hours of $36 peak hour incentive. You will be done by 2pm.

Revenue: 3 hours of $36 per hour and 4.5 hours of $21 off-peak incentives. Total revenue is $202.50 per day.

Profit: $202.50 - $40.50 (comm) - $70 (car rental) - $40 (petrol) - $3 (parking) - $1 (car wash) = $48 per day

Per hour revenue = $48 / 7.5 = $6.40 per hour. I'll round it up to $7 per hour on weekdays as you can earn a little more on Friday.

You can make more on weekends.

Revenue: 3 hours of $36 per hour and 4.5 hours of $30 per hour. Total revenue is $243 per day.

Profit: $243 - $48.60 (comm) - $70 (car rental) - $40 (petrol) - $3 parking - $1 (car wash) = $80.40 per day

Per hour revenue = $80.4 / 7.5 = $10.72 per hour. Ill round it up to $11 per hour on weekends.

I have not counted any accidents, road summons and or days not being able to drive if you are sick. And trust me, it is easy to get illness from passengers as you are in an air con car for many hours a day. You will get stiff neck and backaches often too.

3. Customer service
To be honest, I was quite impressed by their customer service at first. They were prompt and reasonable. However, their level of customer service dropped when they started to received hard to handle questions by me. For example, when I had a dispute with incentives, there was no reply no matter how many times I asked for one.
Uber incentive is 7-10am.
1. How do you get 4 hours of am incentives if it's just 3 hours block?
2. Why do you start at 630am if incentive is from 7-10am?

I am able to hit my am incentive 95% of the time starting at 701am. If you are not getting the results you want, why don't you change? Firstly look at why you are not hitting am incentive, is it because of tph? Perhaps start somewhere else instead of where u always start?

driver09

yeah untrue. what are you talking about in your first statement. what 4 hr block? peak hour in morning is only 3 hour. and yours truely hit the incentives most of the time in the morning. 6 trips in 3 hours not hard yo.

R123Der45

Sorry about the mistake. I have been feeling under the weather or else I would be driving now instead of posting. It is 3 hours. not 4.

The reason why I am saying that We will not be able to hit full incentive blocks is because the calculations are counted by blocks.

I usually start earlier than usual as I want to make full use of my TPH timing as I reckon that if I had a customer at 6.50 and I dropped him off at 7.01, it will still be counted in the TPH?

I am writing this for new drivers only as compared to their salaried jobs. I reckon old birds will have no trouble with incentives and such as they have lots of tricks and knowledge up their sleeves, however, it is like a battlefield to drive during the peak hours where accidents, broken traffic laws, bad ratings and uber apps malfunction are more prone to happen.

driver09

hi, no it won't be counted. it's based on request timing. so the request must come in within the 7-10am block.

Sorry about the mistake. I have been feeling under the weather or else I would be driving now instead of posting. It is 3 hours. not 4.

The reason why I am saying that We will not be able to hit full incentive blocks is because the calculations are counted by blocks.

I usually start earlier than usual as I want to make full use of my TPH timing as I reckon that if I had a customer at 6.50 and I dropped him off at 7.01, it will still be counted in the TPH?

I am writing this for new drivers only as compared to their salaried jobs. I reckon old birds will have no trouble with incentives and such as they have lots of tricks and knowledge up their sleeves, however, it is like a battlefield to drive during the peak hours where accidents, broken traffic laws, bad ratings and uber apps malfunction are more prone to happen.
Enter Uber with specifics. How much do you wanna earn? Work out a driving schedule to work towards that amount. Be realistic, if you expect to earn $2k a week, driving 30 hours excluding weekends, then definitely Uber is not for you. There are no tricks to making money on Uber, just basic knowledge, understanding of the system, planning, knowing where to get pings etc, not rocket science I can assure you. New birds or old birds, all faces the same challenges, working on the same platform, there are no special advantages given to 'old birds'. But seriously, if you are unable to handle peak hours, then perhaps driving for a living is not for you. Perhaps what you need is guidance. Seek in this forum and you shall find.

Last edited:

R123Der45

hi, no it won't be counted. it's based on request timing. so the request must come in within the 7-10am block.
Thanks for the info. :smiles:

Enter Uber with specifics. How much do you wanna earn? Work out a driving schedule to work towards that amount. Be realistic, if you expect to earn $2k a week, driving 30 hours excluding weekends, then definitely Uber is not for you. There are no tricks to making money on Uber, just basic knowledge, understanding of the system, planning, knowing where to get pings etc, not rocket science I can assure you. New birds or old birds, all faces the same challenges, working on the same platform, there are no special advantages given to 'old birds'. But seriously, if you are unable to handle peak hours, then perhaps driving for a living is not for you. Perhaps what you need is guidance. Seek in this forum and you shall find.
I know what you mean. As I have stated above, this thread compares office workers vs uber drivers on time and money, hence the 44 hours work week. I am sharing my experiences as an uber driver and pointing out that all may not seem to be as lucrative as Uber makes it sound. You will be surprise on how much road experience help in making money ar Uber. I guess it is the same with any trade out there. You make more with experience. And furthermore, there are alot more things to consider when driving for uber vs being a salaried employee. I am just here to share.

easydriving

I am a taxi driver and like Uber drivers I drive to make a living. I disagree on ur comparison wt a salaried employee, tell me how much salary a salaried employee have to draw to be able to drive a new car???? Dun forget if u are a salaried employee u also have to spend time to get to work but a driver's office is his car so there is no commute time. If u drive Uber as a relief I am sure the amount u earn will look more attractive. Compare apples wt apples.

But I did noticed that u used full incentives in ur calculations.

R123Der45

I am a taxi driver and like Uber drivers I drive to make a living. I disagree on ur comparison wt a salaried employee, tell me how much salary a salaried employee have to draw to be able to drive a new car???? Dun forget if u are a salaried employee u also have to spend time to get to work but a driver's office is his car so there is no commute time. If u drive Uber as a relief I am sure the amount u earn will look more attractive. Compare apples wt apples.

But I did noticed that u used full incentives in ur calculations.
Yes. I tried to make full use of the Incentives to make the comparison more realistic. Please do take my calculations with a pinch of salt, it is by no way perfect but as an alternative view before new driver decides to take the plunge. And to be honest, driving taxi is much more profitable than driving uber. :smiles:

Other than money, there are alot of things to consider. Lets make a list.

PROS: Get to 'own' a car, start work as soon as one gets into a car ( I like to PRO too), Own time own target, no boss to breath down your neck (except unreasonable customers)

CONS: Must be discipline, cannot be sick, no car (but can be rent daily if you want), high overheads (car rental and petrol), not healthy to sit all day driving for long hours, must deal with drunks, disadvantage if you are not near home and you want to stop work (is it really OTOT then?)

Conclusion: Driving Uber is a dream job if you love to drive for long hours and have no one dictating when you should do it. However, there are no employee's benefits and the hourly rate might not be as good as a salaried worker. I would recommend driving a taxi if you like driving to be a full time job of yours. They pay better (especially at night), They use diesel, their car washes are 50% cheaper and they get higher chance for a tip. Cheers.

Honestly, you need to know the trade before you can advise anyone. But there are two types of drivers who may not make a decent living driving.
1. Uber drivers who drive like taxi drivers
2. Taxi drivers who drive like Uber drivers.

Poor_Lad

Work as waiter part-time can earn more. $12 - $15 an hour not difficult to find. Got off day and CPF some more. Uber driver got none of those.

R123Der45

Honestly, you need to know the trade before you can advise anyone. But there are two types of drivers who may not make a decent living driving.
1. Uber drivers who drive like taxi drivers
2. Taxi drivers who drive like Uber drivers.
This is actually an opinion piece base on my experience driving as an Uber driver, not an advice. It will be great if you can explain what you mean by your statement above.

My opinion of driving with Uber might not be as lucrative as what Uber marketing arm advertise. Earn $5k monthly driving with Uber? That is very misleading, don't you think?

People might not realise:

1. Not all incentives are achievable. You will need careful planning and luck.
2. Incentives are not what you make. You still need to pay 20% comm on them.
3. Car rental in Singapore as an overhead is crazily expensive.
4. Petrol is expensive as an operating cost.
5. There are other costs such as keeping your car clean, parking, car break-down, accidents, summons, medical, etc (that new drivers might not think about until they incur them)
6. Uber app and GPS malfunction happens more frequently than you think.
7. Your livelihood as a Uber driver is over if you get a rating of 4.6 and below (From what I read)
8. Uberpool.... what can I say?
9. It takes discipline to achieve your goals
10. It WILL affect your health.

pinocchio

This is actually an opinion piece base on my experience driving as an Uber driver, not an advice. It will be great if you can explain what you mean by your statement above.

My opinion of driving with Uber might not be as lucrative as what Uber marketing arm advertise. Earn $5k monthly driving with Uber? That is very misleading, don't you think?

5. There are other costs such as keeping your car clean, parking, car break-down, accidents, summons, medical, etc (that new drivers might not think about until they incur them)
7. Your livelihood as a Uber driver is over if you get a rating of 4.6 and below (From what I read)
1. Uber drivers drive like Taxi drivers. - Drive blindly or hide in HDB waiting for app pings, don't know how to do street pickups.
2. Taxi drivers drive like Uber drivers. - Keep on driving on main roads looking for street pickups. When apps ping don't know how to handle.

And I think all marketing are gimmicks. Just like Toto and 4D, I buy so many times also never win before. When you go for a sales job interview, the manager will also tell you that it is possible to earn $10k per month. There are many tricks on how to achieve this $10k, slowly learn when you start to understand how it can be done.

R123Der45

1. Uber drivers drive like Taxi drivers. - Drive blindly or hide in HDB waiting for app pings, don't know how to do street pickups.
2. Taxi drivers drive like Uber drivers. - Keep on driving on main roads looking for street pickups. When apps ping don't know how to handle.

And I think all marketing are gimmicks. Just like Toto and 4D, I buy so many times also never win before. When you go for a sales job interview, the manager will also tell you that it is possible to earn $10k per month. There are many tricks on how to achieve this $10k, slowly learn when you start to understand how it can be done.
Thanks for the explanation of the differences between how a taxi driver and uber driver should drive even though I still don't quite get it. Uber drivers drive like taxi drivers don't know how to do street pick ups?

Yes, the marketing are gimmicks and that is exactly why I started this thread. For new drivers who thinks driving for Uber can make you $5k per month on the get go. From what I had experience, an average Uber driver can make $20 per hour, and I believe that is why they have the off peak weekday incentive of $21 / hr. After taking out the expenses, you might be left with $9 per hourly rate? That is a lousy rate even for a (as someone's post on top) part time waiter.

I think point 9 says a lot about you bro...good luck in the office world, where achieving goals does not require discipline.