1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New drivers read UP posts based on our recomendation and walk away

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Ride-Share-Risk-Manager, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Our driver group are asked all the time by passengers about whether they should drive ride share and what we think of it. We are straight with them about the reality of driver compensation, the increase in bad passenger behavior and the dangers of driving in crime ridden neighborhoods. We encourage these passengers / potential drivers to come on this site and read and get an education about the reality of this gig from drivers around the country and the world.

We decided to take things one step further and made up a little business card with the uberpeople web site address and a follow up e-mail to our driver group. We hand them out to passengers and recommend that they get a balanced perspective of ride share and a reality check on what they are hearing from Uber and Lyft.

We are happy to report that we heard back from 11 new drivers this week who went to the UP site, read posts and decided that they did not want to drive, based on what they read. Only, one new driver said that he would move forward with trying driving after reading this site. But, even he had reservations about his personal safety once he read the NJ section of UP.

We are happy to hear feedback and suggestions from other drivers on our little reality check strategy.

2. Do you have a picture of this card you made?

melusine3 and jgiun1 like this.
  3. I will send one out, but all it has is the uberpeople site address on one side and our driver group e mail address on the other side. . Its nothing fancy. We printed 2000 of them at Staples and gave them out to a bunch of our drivers last week to keep in their cars. I had 100 cards in my car and they are all gone, so a lot of passengers took the cards without even having a discussion with me about ride share driving.

melusine3 and jgiun1 like this.
  4. Kodyhead

Kodyhead

Driving:
    UberSUV
    I'm sure they will be welcome with open arms lol

There will be a bogo on HOW MUCH CAN I MAKE threads for the next month

5. Texie Driver

Texie Driver

Driving:
    UberX
    but this driver in Trenton told me he is clearing $5k a week

6. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston

What are you talking about

jgiun1 likes this.
  7. We are talking about directing more potential drivers to UP as well as passengers so that they can get some realistic information about the reality of ride share driving rather than listening to some bull from Uber and Lyft staff.

MoreTips, jgiun1 and goneubering like this.
  8. touberornottouber

touberornottouber

Driving:
    UberX
    It's basically a trap. Taxi driving was the same but in a different way. With taxi driving here you worked 12 hour shifts. You'd start just doing maybe 2-3 days a week. Just some part time work for extra spending money, etc. But then at some point the money would get so bad that before you knew it you were working 6-7 days a week, 12 hours a day just to survive. Before you knew it you were living in a hotel and always at threat of being evicted -- even when you were working 70 hours a week! I knew some cab drivers who worked 14 days straight and still lived in a roach infested motel. That's how it was here during the recession anyway!

Uber is the same sort of trap except a little different because you make your own hours. Sure. You get to choose when and where you work. YEP. But if you need to make a certain amount to live and due to oversaturation and Uber taking more of the fare your pay per hour decreases, what are you left to do? You have to work longer hours. It's a trap. With this gig your pay per hour will never go up in the long term. It will only go down. You can bank on that! The end result is ultimately nearly the same as above with the taxi game. Except more than likely it'll end in a repo or in a big car repair where you have no money to fix it. This will be the end result even when you are out there busting your butt and working 70+ hours a week because the pay per hour fell so low. And let us not even talk about what this does to your health. I know several cab drivers who died of heart attacks. At least one died IN THE CAB.

If anyone reading this is on the ropes about doing it, feel free to private message me. I'll give you all the details you want! Don't think I'm BS'ing one bit. I'm not.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  9. Rakos

Rakos

Driving:
    UberXL
    Nailed it....BINGO....!!!

Sometines you hit it out of the park...8>)

Best post of the week...8>)

Rakos
    luwiybqmbfpasiy.jpg

10. flyntflossy10

flyntflossy10

Driving:
    UberX
    i actually think this is a good idea. when asked about driving I always tell them about this website and not the local facebook group. this place is real, facebook is full of gullible people who aren't aware of the reality of rideshare.

11. I am just astounded at how few drivers out there even know about the UP site when I ask them about it when I am a passenger.

There are also a little of passengers who are " driver curious". It's something that they are attracted to and think that it's glaorous and fun and easy money. They don't quite believe me when I am straight with them about the reality of driving. Sending them here to UP seems to be quite the eye opener for them.

12. observer

observer Moderator

images (20).jpeg

La jaula aunque sea de oro, no deja de ser jaula.

13. Texie Driver

Texie Driver

Driving:
    UberX
    there was one kid i drove who was probably 20 yrs or so asking me questions, he was kind of asking around the topic and me being the to the point person i am, after a couple questions i asked if he was thinking about driving. he admitted he was, i told him to come here. i neither encouraged nor discouraged him to sign up. i am leaving that to y'all.

14. That’s fantastic op!

15. goneubering

goneubering

Driving:
    UberX
    This is good except the majority of the posters here are negative.

Actually this should be a Featured Thread.

16. Yes, I know posters here are negative but they are accurate and realistic about ride share. We are not telling any potential new driver what to think. We are simply recommending that they do their research by reading here on UP.

17. goneubering

goneubering

Driving:
    UberX
    Maybe we just have too many sock puppets in LA. I find the excessive negativity to often be inaccurate and unrealistic.

18. merryon2nd

merryon2nd

Driving:
    UberXL
    Glad you're doing this. There's enough of us poor suckers on the road getting robbed. lmao
    But, no, honestly, you're also doing your part to stop the ant breeding. Maybe it'll start, albeit slowly, breeding tippers and a sense of graciousness (though that might be too much to ask for from today's generation) instead. :D

19. new driver here, 3 weeks and 280 rides so far, and it is pretty discouraging the dollar per hour when all is said and done. Tips would make it worth it a bit but they have been too few so far though increasing still not enough. the fun factor of meeting people and going places I normally wouldn't is keeping me in for now

tohunt4me likes this.
  20. The advice we offer to all potential new drivers is to have a full time job or business and only do this for extra money on a part time basis. There is simply too much instability working for Uber or Lyft to depend on it as a full time job.

We really emphasize the danger inherent in this work from driving into high crime neighborhoods.

I am happy to report that our disaffected new driver total has now increased to 18 so far since this little project began a week ago. There may be many more new drivers who we don't know about and who could have ignored our advice to read the UP thoroughly or who did not bother to e mail us with a follow up.