New Driver

Bostonguy69

Hello Fellow Boston Rideshare Drivers- New here and "soon to be an new driver". Just Introducing myself here with a few questions. I am 47 male from 1/2 hour North of Boston right of 93. I am retired from a Comm of Mass Job and looking to make around $450.00 a week ( after taxes, gas, ubers fare etc.) My schedule is completely wide open days, nights and weekends.Dont have any prob getting up early for airport runs, but am looking to stay away from Midnight to 3 bar runs. everything else is game. Plan on back filling with Lyft and possibly door dash in near as time goes on. My question to all you -- Is this an attainable goal to make the money I would want to make(450 wk net) and how many hours a week to do it(ballpark). Looking to do 30 to 40 hrs a week.

Golfermack

Retired from a state of MA job at 47? SMH.

IMO, net $450/30-40 hours a week is doable.

Please don't ask where and when are the best places to work.

Bostonguy69

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Golfermack! I know people will keep some stuff close to their vest,all good though.

Veal66

My advice - go back on the BOSTON Forum and read all of the posts made in the past 9 months. Several new drivers have come on this board in the past few months with the same questions as you.

DudeGuy

I drive 20 to 25 hours a week, and net $560 or so in the payout, and spend $40 a week on gas. I drive 2 hours from 5am to 7am Monday thru Friday, and 6am to 1pm Saturday and Sunday.

jack badly

I drive 20 to 25 hours a week, and net $560 or so in the payout, and spend $40 a week on gas. I drive 2 hours from 5am to 7am Monday thru Friday, and 6am to 1pm Saturday and Sunday.
I have never begin my shift at 5am, usually at 7am. you are not doing bad yourself (without the incentives). i guess driving at 5am is similar to driving at night time. (high demand and low traffic)

some drivers are naturally better at making money than others. in another forum, a guy worked for 60 hours on a rental car but only netted 400-500 bucks lol

Last edited:

jack badly

I could retire at age 4X too. I am a strategic money saver and frugal spender. I am trying to save 70-80% of my yearly net income. The only things I spend on is the basic necessaries (food and gas).

Duane Mitchell

It doesn't matter if drivers share what they think the good spots are. If that spot gets saturated then every place else gets better. Use the pax apps to see where the cars are and move if you think there's too many. The key to this business is to keep a paying customer in the back seat for as much of a percentage of your time out there. You should look at how much your net per mile. Lately I've been netting over $1 per mile because I'm not chasing "hot spots." I pick up as close to where I drop off as possible. Almost always.

On work week nights I'll try to get to the financial district if I'm close. I go to 225 Franklin and check out how many cabs are lined up and if they're moving or not. You don't see anyone on the street because they're all in the buildings working and they just want to get home. Some nice jobs there. The Seaport is also good for after dinner jobs.

I start everyday working Roxbury/Dorchester. Everyday. Eventually I end up in town because of a ride. I know there's work in these neighborhoods because the suburban drivers are scared. People just want a ride no matter where they live.

It all comes down to your experience and how well you understand what motivates people to want a ride given the time of the day, the day of the week, in what parts of the city, and at what times of the year. You have to estimate how short of a time you will wait for a ping and what will be the value of that ping. It's called a Poisson Distribution. The ride share companies put a lot of effort into analyzing the data they collect in terms of a Poisson Distribution. Interesting stuff for this business.

Tcdriver

Totally doable! Basically what Duane said. I vary between 15-35 hours/week, I've gotten my average up to $32/hour by driving smarter. Keep someone in that back seat, pickup where you drop off, don't chase surges (extra miles with no $$). Common sense will tell you where to go given the day or time. I don't except Uberx rides more than 7mins away and Pool rides more than 5 mins away.

I can't give it all away but: if you don't do late nights do early mornings and rush hours. Only hotspot is what Duane said after dinner crowd 8-10:30pm leaving the seaport has given me lots of longer fares.

And use a background app to log/track your miles: sherpashare or mileiq.

Lastly, please learn to get out of traffic when picking up and dropping off. Too many times I've seen one driver cause traffic jams because they won't call a PAX to make them walk 100-200 feet to a safer pickup spot.

Good luck

Attachments

jack badly

I have no problem get pings. The next ping appears usually in no more than 10 minute wait minute. But damn... It is hard to get 30/hr I have to say. lol

The time online doesn't tell the whole story (I average 28/hr). I usually turn off after I drop off my pax then go to a better location. I don't like downtown pickups.

Last edited:

Bostonguy69

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys .I will probably start the 2nd week of august.Just gotta wait for my new car insurance(USAA) to get going.Till then just doin a ton of research.Again you all have been very helpful.