New driver with questions

Aquaman87

I'm just starting out with Uber and have a handful of questions. If the address on my license is in one VA city and I'm moving to another city within the DC/Alexandria/Ashburn areas, can I still drive there? What's the best way to ask a driver a few questions on days when there is no green light place set up? Go to the airport, maybe? Does VA require the logo on the front passenger side and the passenger back door? What advice does anyone have for a new driver hoping to make his first run today?

UberSolo

I'm just starting out with Uber and have a handful of questions. If the address on my license is in one VA city and I'm moving to another city within the DC/Alexandria/Ashburn areas, can I still drive there? What's the best way to ask a driver a few questions on days when there is no green light place set up? Go to the airport, maybe? Does VA require the logo on the front passenger side and the passenger back door? What advice does anyone have for a new driver hoping to make his first run today?
Dan, dont, step away from the car. think of your future, your parents, family and friends. u will be an outcast! go to law school

Another Uber Driver

If the address on my license is in one VA city and I'm moving to another city within the DC/Alexandria/Ashburn areas, can I still drive there?

Does VA require the logo on the front passenger side and the passenger back door?

What advice does anyone have for a new driver hoping to make his first run today?
Yes.

The Commonwealth of Virginia and the District of Columbia require that the trade dress be in the right, back glass by the back door.

When you start out, you might want to accept every ping just to get an idea of how it works. After a while, you will decide how far you are willing to go and what pings you will accept or reject. Generally, I will not go more than five minutes away in Downtown D.C., the Circles, Foggy Bottom, Georgetown or Capitol Hill. I might cast the net a little wider in the further out residential areas as well as in the suburbs. Under no circumstance will I travel more than fifteen minutes to cover a ping and even that is rare. If I am accepting Uber Pools, which often I do not, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE do I travel more than five minutes for one. At first, you might want to accept the Uber Pools just to see how they work. If you do accept one, do not let the first passenger tell you not to take any more pings. Let them pay the price for being cheap. After you run two or three, you can decide if they are for you.

Do not chase the surge. You are better taking whatever is close to you.

Many drivers do not accept pings if the passenger is rated less than 4,6. As a rule, I do not adhere to this on Uber Taxi or UberX, but I adhere strictly to it if I am accepting Uber Pool at the time. If the U-Pool request is less than 4,6, I let it expire.

Avoid cancelling. Cancellation-by-driver counts against you, even if it is for a legitimate reason such as passenger did not show, passenger not at address, or something like that. If the passenger calls you while you are on your way to cover the ping and tells you that he wants to cancel, tell him that he must cancel. Lie, if you must and tell him that the application is acting up and will not let you cancel. If you do not want the request, let it expire.
Do not take any nonsense from these passengers. If they get out of line, go to the nearest safe place and evict the passenger.

If you do not know where you are going, just follow the GPS. You can tell the customer after he gets in and you start the trip that you are going to follow the GPS unless he has a way that he wants to go.

Ubermanpt

Interesting that I asked a hack inspector about the trade dress and he said it could be anywhere as long as it was visible from 50ft away. I asked specifically about back right window too. Most lyft have theirs in front windshield. Maybe you can find where that is and post here , curious if it is recommend or required. Would be a big help to everyone.

Aquaman87

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for the advice. Maybe I'm slow but I'm still trying to figure everything out. How do I know what areas I'm allowed to pick up in? I don't want to drive an hour into DC and hate driving there. I went to Dulles last night and went through the wait list without getting a run. A driver pointed out I needed the TNC sticker to pick up in VA but that I could pick up anywhere in DC. I waited 4 hours at the DMV this morning but missed the MD Green Light office by 7 minutes this afternoon. I opted to try at Reagan and talked with a few drivers who thought I was good to go. However, I waited the 42 minutes in line for a run and then 30 once I hit 0-10. While talking with the 18th driver in line, he got a run before I did! Is there a priority or seniority at the airports? Can I pick up in Ashburn or Manassas or Alexandria or am I limited to DC? How can I tell if my paperwork is not in order? I keep getting emails saying I can start driving but I'm having trouble getting runs. Without anyone to call, how can I tell? If the DMV is connected to Uber, wouldn't my Uber file be updated automatically with my TNC sticker? I'm trying to get some runs this weekend but can't seem to figure out the process that is "easy". There seems to be little more information than apply, get an email, and drive.

Aztek98

For a small fee I will meet you and give you a training session and answer all your questions.

The noob is strong with you and I think a training session is required.

Thank you for the advice. Maybe I'm slow but I'm still trying to figure everything out. How do I know what areas I'm allowed to pick up in? I don't want to drive an hour into DC and hate driving there. I went to Dulles last night and went through the wait list without getting a run. A driver pointed out I needed the TNC sticker to pick up in VA but that I could pick up anywhere in DC. I waited 4 hours at the DMV this morning but missed the MD Green Light office by 7 minutes this afternoon. I opted to try at Reagan and talked with a few drivers who thought I was good to go. However, I waited the 42 minutes in line for a run and then 30 once I hit 0-10. While talking with the 18th driver in line, he got a run before I did! Is there a priority or seniority at the airports? Can I pick up in Ashburn or Manassas or Alexandria or am I limited to DC? How can I tell if my paperwork is not in order? I keep getting emails saying I can start driving but I'm having trouble getting runs. Without anyone to call, how can I tell? If the DMV is connected to Uber, wouldn't my Uber file be updated automatically with my TNC sticker? I'm trying to get some runs this weekend but can't seem to figure out the process that is "easy". There seems to be little more information than apply, get an email, and drive.
For a large Fee i will conduct an uber training session.
some job intricacies we'll cover: tap uber app on your cell phone device screen, slide switch to go online. tap center ping, drive to location, slide....... (PHEW! im exhausted, to be continued)

Another Uber Driver

A driver pointed out I needed the TNC sticker to pick up in VA but that I could pick up anywhere in DC.

Is there a priority or seniority at the airports?

Can I pick up in Ashburn or Manassas or Alexandria or am I limited to DC? If the DMV is connected to Uber, wouldn't my Uber file be updated automatically with my TNC sticker?
Where is your vehicle registered? If it is registered in the Commonwealth of Virginia, you will receive some black and yellow validation stickers that go on your licence plates. If it is registered somewhere other than the Commonwealth of Virginia, you will receive a rectangular black and yellow sticker that goes on the upper left hand corner of your back glass.

Have you applied for your TNC registration in the Commonwealth of Virginia? Have you shown proof to Uber that you have? Did Uber apply for you? According to Virginia law, once you have applied, you can start to work. There is a grace period between the time that you submit your application and the time that you must display the sticker(s). If Uber has not applied for you, you must go to Forestville and show them that you have applied so that they can remove the geofence from your account.

Oh, and I do not need a fee. This forum is free of charge to rank and file Members and exists so that we can help out each other.

New2This

Airports are, for the most part, a waste of time. You get thrown into a queue that can range from a few minutes to 50+ minutes. Occasionally you'll get a long trip but especially at Reagan Airport it will be a short trip into D.C. If you get a dropoff at one look at the queue on the app (pic attached from BWI queue); left number is your number in line, right is Uber estimate of time til you pick someone up.

It can help if you're trying to qualify for the incentives, or if it's surging or Boost.

Waiting in the Reagan or Dulles TNC lot is also a great way to brush up on your Urdu, Pashto & Farsi.

Screenshot_2016-07-21-21-15-31.jpeg

Last edited:

Another Uber Driver

at Reagan Airport it will be a short trip into D.C.
Wait until you get a Crystal City out of National. You will wish that you had been assigned a Downtown. You will be upset enough about that five dollar trip after waiting forty-five minutes (or three, if it is a U-Pool with no match--not that a match would be any better; you will do twice the work for one-dollar-fifty more). Consider what happens to the cab driver this time of year.

If it is late July to mid-August, and. you see a cab driver's dancing around his cab, screaming, opening and slamming his doors, trunk or even his hood, it is because the starter just gave him a Crystal City after he had waited two hours, or more, on line in the holding pens and had gotten into fender scraping contests with three other drivers who had tried to cut in front of him.

I must agree, unless you want to take a nap, airports are a waste of time. If you take the time to learn the patterns and a few other things, you could make money at the airports, but you need to know your stuff. I do know some cab drivers who make good money working National, but they have alternatives if something goes South. They have airline schedules committed to memory and a tablet or I-pad for the GPS, to check arrivals and departures and to Google hotels and things. That is too much work for me. I do better running the City streets in the cab, or D.C., Arlington, Falls Gulch and Alexandria in the UberX car.

The Dulles drivers tell me that they do not make and money and have not for years, even before Uber. To hear them tell it, Uber just made a bad situation worse.

UberFred

I drive for Uber in Frederick so I do not do airports. I work Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. I tend to start out of town driving people out to eat/bars for the night and then spend the rest of the night driving people back home. I use the passenger app to see where the other drivers are and try to stay between them and a large number of houses/developments early in the night and then between them and some of the hot spots at night.