• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New Driver Western Mass

Mims Athome

Hello! I am a new driver and started yesterday. I am located in Western Massachusetts, and this includes the cities of Northampton, Amherst, Springfield and Holyoke. Overall, first day went well, but I felt very nervous at first. And I had a glitch with learning how to use the app. I really jumped in feet first without a lot of preparation, but I am very happy to Uberpeople as a resource. Onward and upward.

Mims Athome

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
..........but not Hadley, South Hadley, Sunderland or Belchertown?

Welcome to Uber and these boards.
Yep, all those towns are included too. From what I understand, Uber Western Mass covers everything, even the North Quabbin towns in Franklin County. Then again I could be wrong on that too!

Uber Kraus

I have looked at pax app in western mass. Not many drivers and the estimated time for pick up was always long! Keep your dead miles as low as you can. Don't be afraid to pass on trips 10 minutes or more away as you could potentially lose money. Keep track of ALL miles driven to write off on your taxes next year. With all the dead miles you will be driving in that market you might be able to show a loss to the IRS...

Good luck.

Mims Athome

I have looked at pax app in western mass. Not many drivers and the estimated time for pick up was always long! Keep your dead miles as low as you can. Don't be afraid to pass on trips 10 minutes or more away as you could potentially lose money. Keep track of ALL miles driven to write off on your taxes next year. With all the dead miles you will be driving in that market you might be able to show a loss to the IRS...

Good luck.
Not many drivers, but not much work either. Keeping my dead miles low, I park and wait in one of the giant shopping areas and get good late afternoon work from there. Sometimes I park and wait in the downtown Northampton and Amherst locations. But I have had a good amount of long rides, since everything is so spread out in rural areas. Uber is really pushing the Halloween weekend and claim to be offering higher pay if I work from 8 pm to 3 am. I just hope they are pushing the service in general. Thanks for the good advice. Onward and upward!

Zoots Alures

Yep, all those towns are included too. From what I understand, Uber Western Mass covers everything, even the North Quabbin towns in Franklin County. Then again I could be wrong on that too!
Worcester & West is considered Western Mass. The metro Boston area requires different vetting & permissions. Being authorized in Ct we're enabled to drive Western Mass., Rhode Island, and New Jersey.

Zoots Alures

If Uber onboards you in Connecticut, you can drive in Jersey? I get the Western Massachusetts and Rhode Island, but Jersey?
Yepper! New Jersey too. Both Uber Boston & Ct confirmed that both Metro' Boston & NYC required more stringent permissions thus being ineligible to originate fares there.. But you can always drop off there.

Another Uber Driver

Metro' Boston & NYC required more stringent permissions thus being ineligible to originate fares there..

Boston and New York City's being closed to you, I get as well. At least those jurisdictions do impose some regulations on the TNCs that are similar to those imposed on taxicabs, their drivers and the companies. Can you work in New York State in places other than New York City?

TommyTouchdowns

I am looking to start in the Western Mass area. How is the pay? I am looking to work maybe 10 hours a week? Any feedback or info would be great!

Mims Athome

I am looking to start in the Western Mass area. How is the pay? I am looking to work maybe 10 hours a week? Any feedback or info would be great!
Hi Tommy, I'm only two weeks part time in Western Mass. The pay is ok but not great. A lot of down time. I have been focusing on Amherst and Northampton but today I'm going to venture into Springfield and see how that goes.

TommyTouchdowns

Thank you for the response ! I plan on going on line for the first time today also in the Springfield area. If I see some good trends I will let you know ! Good luck today !