New Driver thoughts....

Cbus Dave

After 5 weeks of driving both Uber and Lyft early mornings 5 am to 9 or 10 am New Albany - Westerville to anywhere just some thoughts...

Lyft - lots of canceled trips, some app issues, and fewer customers but more tips than Uber per customer

Uber - Average 1 or 2 early Airport trips, tipping is better when its business travel, regulars who need a ride to work and about a $14 per hour average

Weekends - Mornings Airport trips, work trips and the walk of shame to both girls and guys.

Surges rarely seem to mean anything I can be sitting in the middle of one and not get any customers so I would never chase them... Drunks even at 6 am and no rhyme or reason from one day to the next as to how much you can make.... I like the freedom, can meet some nice folks its a decent gig for a semi retired guy or 2nd job but it would be tough to make a full time living.

MothMan

Had a ride this past weekend with the PAX, his buddy, and a street person that tagged along with them. SP was nice when he got in but later became somewhat belligerent. Was sitting right behind me so I was a tad worried about my safety. Then the SP passed out. When we got to Taco Bell, the PAX woke up the SP to see what he wanted to eat. SP was very ticked off that anyone was touching him but eventually said what he wanted and then passed out again. After leaving Taco Bell, the PAX had me stop in a parking lot so we could ditch the SP before going to the final location. Took a lot of work to wake the SP up and get him out of the vehicle. PAX kept apologizing for the situation and kept telling me about the big tip I was going to get. I'm still waiting for any tip.

Another one that stands out was a group that had to stop for pizza. Made a big deal about finding out what kind of pizza I wanted and that they were going to make the extra hassle worth my while. I ended up with no pizza and no tip. Was no surprise.

I've had handful of people come through on the promised tip but only once was it more than $5.

EDIT: Just watched some of the video of the SP ride and checked the Uber app. Spent 30 minutes with them for $7.52. PAX promised me a "salty ass" tip right after we ditched the SP. After PAX got out of the vehicle at the final destination, he reached back in to shake my hand and said he was giving me a "good" tip. Apparently both kinds of tips equal $0.

Last edited:

swingset

I don't drive weekdays or mornings, but it's similar in the weekend evenings. Surges are deceptive, mostly a ruse to manipulate drivers...don't fall for them or chase one, ever. If it happens, great, but I know that both services are playing games.

Lyft pax love to cancel on you, so if I'm running Uber & Lyft I'll take the Uber ping every time if I have a choice. I have found that lately the tipping is pretty even between the services, been doing better on Uber so that's nice. Lyft pax are smokers 9 times out of 10 too, and stink your car up. I don't work the bad neighborhoods but when I pick up a Lyft pax downtown or somewhere nice, invariably we're heading to their place in the crap part of town.

Know what you mean about tips verses promises, too, that always cracks me up. "I'll make it worth your white" is BS, never happens. OSU students never tip. Asian kids never tip. Park Street drunks never tip. And, all three love to try to pile more than 4 in your car (cancel and keep rolling), ask for drive through stops (I always lie and tell them I have a stacked ping and can't delay the trip), eat or try to drink in the car, or make pushy requests that annoy me (hey, can I vape in your car? Can we listen to rap? etc).

I have learned to drop off in those locations, but not to fish for the low-hanging fruit picking up there unless I'm desperate or it's slow elsewhere.

imderekpoe

Know what you mean about tips verses promises, too, that always cracks me up. "I'll make it worth your white" is BS, never happens. OSU students never tip. Asian kids never tip. Park Street drunks never tip. And, all three love to try to pile more than 4 in your car (cancel and keep rolling), ask for drive through stops (I always lie and tell them I have a stacked ping and can't delay the trip), eat or try to drink in the car, or make pushy requests that annoy me (hey, can I vape in your car? Can we listen to rap? etc).

I have learned to drop off in those locations, but not to fish for the low-hanging fruit picking up there unless I'm desperate or it's slow elsewhere.

This 100%! When I have a drop on Park St or campus I either turn the app off or at least try to get out of the area as quickly as possible. No much good comes from pick ups there!

MothMan

I always lie and tell them I have a stacked ping and can't delay the trip

I like that. I never even thought about doing it when I really had a stacked ping. I just canceled the stacked ping. A new arrow in my quiver. Thanks for that idea.

ddog1995

Welcome aboard Dave! Been at it about 5 months. Averaging about 25 hours a week, mostly mornings, some afternoons and an occasional Saturday or Sunday (mostly AM's). Never go out at night and avoid the "bar" crowds and haven't worked any events.

As for Lyft, get a number of longer pick-ups (5-6-7 miles, 12-18 minutes away). Kinda frustrating when they only go 2,3,4 miles although I've had a few of them that were fairly long trips 20-25 miles +. As for tipping I seem to get more with Lyft than Uber although the Uber tips have definitely picked up since they initiated in-app tipping back in July. Have not really had many PAX who say they're going to tip and not do so. However only about 15%-20% do end up tipping. As for surge, I've only had 2 rides out of just under 750 that qualified for surge for a total of about $3.00. I don't really count on nor expect surge based on the times I drive and do not go downtown very often (maybe once a week) and definitely wouldn't chase it. Like you, I also get more Airport trips with Uber. It's been good experience so far, no problems or issues with any PAX (knock on wood).

MothMan

Was promised a "big tip" last night for a lot of waiting. Got $10 for a $8.72 ride. So, second time I've gotten more than $5 on a promised big tip.

gofry

Dave,

Be sure you do the math soon (profit after Uber fees, gas, maintenance and self-employment tax). I think you'll find that in this market you'll only take home about $10 an hour, which is not really worth it to beat the crap out your car.

TBone

He’s right. I have made about $600 on $4500 in income this year due to large repair bills. It’s [email protected]@@@inglutely isn’t worth it unless you get over 30mpg and have a good warranty. Anything more than 5-10 hours a week on a Friday and Saturday night isn’t worth it

Cbus Dave

Although I am new to Uber and Lyft I have done courier work for years and have learned a few things about vehicle selection, maintenance, warranties and costs. For me here are some things that work.

* Never buy a new car, look for a great deal on a program car that gets over 30 mpg city mpg or a 100k late model company car that has been taken care of with highway miles. Buy a good warranty if you can, peace of mind budgeted savings
* Buy the highest mile warranty tires you can afford (your buying miles)and get them on sale (around the summer holidays for lowest cost) and get the replacement warranty, cost about 15 bucks a tire but will replace 100% on a tire. Your bound to have a flat that can't be repaired (take care of your tires, don't run used or bald tires for safety)
* Pay the 3 to 5 bucks per month for roadside assistance for flats, jumps, gas, lock outs etc. ( it's how you make your living being on the road)
* Never buy more car than you need, if a Ford Focus will work and gets better mpg with lower maintenance costs don't buy a loaded Lincoln
* Change your oil on schedule, every 6K miles for heavy use cars (drive 1000 miles a week that's every 6 weeks or sooner) & I know the Oil change guy says every 3k but 6k has worked for me
* Buy the monthly Goo Goo unlimited monthly car wash pass if you did not get free car washes from the dealer when you bought the car (It's your business and customers 1st impression) If you can;t afford all year get it in the winter when you may need 2/3 washes some weeks
* Clean your car interior daily, avoid eating in the car (odd smells and crumbs) and keep dollar store fabreeze, sticky lint rollers, trigger spray cleaner and towels for end of day and as you go clean ups
* Track all gas and maintenance costs you need to know how your doing ( I use a cash back card just for business)
* And always remember that car is how you earn your living, it may hurt, you may think you can't afford it, but that car has to be running for you to earn money

Just saying, that's what I have learned over the years and some other things may work for you....

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
He’s right. I have made about $600 on $4500 in income this year due to large repair bills. It’s abso&%[email protected]!*inglutely isn’t worth it unless you get over 30mpg and have a good warranty. Anything more than 5-10 hours a week on a Friday and Saturday night isn’t worth it

In my opinion, the rate needs to be at least $1.50/mile in order for the compensation to be worth it, and even higher before a driver could make a living doing Uber.

It's easy to vilify cab companies for having such high rates for so long, but let's be honest, cabs have never been a cash cow business. The drivers never made much, nor did the owners. And they had decades of experience to know how to keep operating and maintenance costs low.

The only reason Uber has been able to offer much lower rates is because it could recruit a ton of drivers who didn't know any better. Eventually their drivers realize the true costs. Sometimes it takes awhile before that repair event occurs that becomes the straw that broke the camels back, so there is no real set time frame on how long it takes Uber drivers to wise up. But eventually Uber isn't going to be able to find new drivers who don't know any better. At that point they will have to raise the rates to get drivers.... and their rates will be around the price of a cab. Gee... imagine that.

MothMan

I've read two studies that came to the same conclusion: If you're going to do rideshare, drive a Prius. Prius had the lowest per mile expenses.

tohunt4me

After 5 weeks of driving both Uber and Lyft early mornings 5 am to 9 or 10 am New Albany - Westerville to anywhere just some thoughts...

Lyft - lots of canceled trips, some app issues, and fewer customers but more tips than Uber per customer

Uber - Average 1 or 2 early Airport trips, tipping is better when its business travel, regulars who need a ride to work and about a $14 per hour average

Weekends - Mornings Airport trips, work trips and the walk of shame to both girls and guys.

Surges rarely seem to mean anything I can be sitting in the middle of one and not get any customers so I would never chase them... Drunks even at 6 am and no rhyme or reason from one day to the next as to how much you can make.... I like the freedom, can meet some nice folks its a decent gig for a semi retired guy or 2nd job but it would be tough to make a full time living.
$14.00 per hour average.
Pitiful.
This is what uber has become.