New Driver Seeking Some Advice

mungoshelves

Hi all,

I'm driving in the Austin area for the summer only. I've been at it for a little over a week and netting just under minimum wage. I usually UberX in the Westlake/Rollingwood area during the day (I've found the mornings to be dead), though I've also done some trips in Cedar Park and Round Rock. Today, however, was my first day approved with FARE and I was kind of dismayed/surprised when I drove downtown two hours and didn't get a single ping. I can't seem to get a handle on periods of highest demand for ridesharing.

I understand that by soliciting advice I'm inadvertently encroaching on your business, but I'm asking because I live in Lakeway, and, due to the pingless commute, testing the waters in various locations at various times means I'm consistently either losing money or spending several hours in order to net $0. Even the smallest tips or advice, especially regarding FARE, about times of day and strategies would be helpful.

Thanks!

Jay Dean

4am you should get profitable rides to the airport and can make your quota by 9am I would think. I couldn't say about different areas but in general people always need lengthy trips to the airport at that time. Good luck

Ziggy

Hi all,

I'm driving in the Austin area for the summer only. I've been at it for a little over a week and netting just under minimum wage. I usually UberX in the Westlake/Rollingwood area during the day (I've found the mornings to be dead), though I've also done some trips in Cedar Park and Round Rock. Today, however, was my first day approved with FARE and I was kind of dismayed/surprised when I drove downtown two hours and didn't get a single ping. I can't seem to get a handle on periods of highest demand for ridesharing.

I understand that by soliciting advice I'm inadvertently encroaching on your business, but I'm asking because I live in Lakeway, and, due to the pingless commute, testing the waters in various locations at various times means I'm consistently either losing money or spending several hours in order to net $0. Even the smallest tips or advice, especially regarding FARE, about times of day and strategies would be helpful.

Thanks!
I do quite well in Lakeway; but then again, I drive Lux/SUV ... and I have regular clients. That said, a lot depends on what you drive, where you drive, what times you drive, which apps you drive for, and a bit of luck.

As far as Fare goes, if you're on anything other than Standard car, likely you'll get few if any rides. A feature (bug) on Fare only allows drivers to be on 1 class ... so I'm only on Premium SUV, which essentially means that I only get pings on weekends ... and even then it's extremely sparse ... I've had less than 50 trips on Fare in the past month, despite being online for at least 8 hrs/day every day for the past month.

I'm not using all the apps; currently only using Fare, GetMe & Fasten ... but made $1,200 last week, part time (about 26 hours). I was also running some UberLux trips ... until they started sending me the much less profitable XL trips, even though I didn't have XL enabled.

Tips ... a lot depends on the car/class you drive:
  1. If you're setup only on Fare Premium car, switch to Standard ... as everyone on Premium is starving; few, if any, trips
  2. Go online from home at 3-4AM ... no need to leave the driveway before 6AM.
  3. If you still feel like driving after 6AM, head from Lakeway up 620 toward Cedar Park ... you might catch an airport trip
  4. If you have Android, then add Fasten app to your list ... I'd keep both Fasten and Fare on while doing #3. It's unsafe to try for GetMe trips while driving, so I'd avoid turning that on unless you are parked.
  5. If you're not a morning person, then evening rush hour from downtown is your next best bet; you'd want to be in place before 3PM ... so you might get an airport trip
  6. Start keeping notes of what is or is not working for you ... eventually, you'll start seeing patterns which will lead to more trips

BobbyATX

I do quite well in Lakeway; but then again, I drive Lux/SUV ... and I have regular clients. That said, a lot depends on what you drive, where you drive, what times you drive, which apps you drive for, and a bit of luck.

As far as Fare goes, if you're on anything other than Standard car, likely you'll get few if any rides. A feature (bug) on Fare only allows drivers to be on 1 class ... so I'm only on Premium SUV, which essentially means that I only get pings on weekends ... and even then it's extremely sparse ... I've had less than 50 trips on Fare in the past month, despite being online for at least 8 hrs/day every day for the past month.

I'm not using all the apps; currently only using Fare, GetMe & Fasten ... but made $1,200 last week, part time (about 26 hours). I was also running some UberLux trips ... until they started sending me the much less profitable XL trips, even though I didn't have XL enabled.

1. If you're setup only on Fare Premium car, switch to Standard ... as everyone on Premium is starving; few, if any, trips
  3. If you still feel like driving after 6AM, head from Lakeway up 620 toward Cedar Park ... you might catch an airport trip
  4. If you have Android, then add Fasten app to your list ... I'd keep both Fasten and Fare on while doing #3. It's unsafe to try for GetMe trips while driving, so I'd avoid turning that on unless you are parked.
  5. If you're not a morning person, then evening rush hour from downtown is your next best bet; you'd want to be in place before 3PM ... so you might get an airport trip
  6. Start keeping notes of what is or is not working for you ... eventually, you'll start seeing patterns which will lead to more trips
Added full disclosure to Ziggy's post:

Note that Ziggy is a pro and does well in every area of the city and makes more money than anyone else because he pounds miles on this LUX vehicle at triple the price that your standard vehicle makes. Duly noted?

Stop wasting your summer days looking for rides because there ain't any. Enjoy your summer, work weekends and holidays. If you need real money get a real job.

Ziggy

Note that Ziggy is a pro and does well in every area of the city and makes more money than anyone else because he pounds miles on this LUX vehicle at triple the price that your standard vehicle makes. Duly noted?
BobbyATX ... while I do have a Lux vehicle and arguably am considered a driving pro ... I wouldn't characterize my process as pounding miles onto my Lux SUV, as I drive very few deadhead miles and most of my trips are with regulars. That said, for the most part, I do get paid 3 times the X/standard rate; as frankly, it's not worth my time to get paid much less. *though I will take standard/X trips from the boonies to help offset deadhead miles.
Stop wasting your summer days looking for rides because there ain't any. Enjoy your summer, work weekends and holidays. If you need real money get a real job.
mungoshelves ... as BobbyATX so eloquently put it ... summer is probably the worst time to drive in almost any city, especially a college town like Austin. During the summer many full-time drivers take vacation, it's that slow. If, however, you are stubborn as a mule; then I'd leave my app on as I rolled around town doing my normal errands ... and you might get lucky to get a trip or two. But I certainly wouldn't count on Rideshare creating job replacing income during the summer ... especially not in this extremely uncertain TNC landscape.

One final thing ... don't get suckered into driving for Arcade City ... they do not have operating authority in Austin; and if stopped by APD, you could face $500+ fines and an impounded car. Don't do it ... you'd be better off flipping burgers at McD.

El Gato

If, however, you are stubborn as a mule; then I'd leave my app on as I rolled around town doing my normal errands ... and you might get lucky to get a trip or two.
This. A couple of weeks ago my brother in law was in town and in a pinch. I told him I'd go to my school to get some equipment he needed and meet him at his downtown hotel at around 9. Left cedar park at 7:30 turned on GM app and made some money doing my brother in law a favor. Ended with $85 that night for about 2 hrs of driving that I really didn't "plan." Living up in Cedar park, anytime I have to run into town for errands I turn on the app and try to get myself paid for mileage that I was already going to put on my car anyways.

BobbyATX

This. A couple of weeks ago my brother in law was in town and in a pinch. I told him I'd go to my school to get some equipment he needed and meet him at his downtown hotel at around 9. Left cedar park at 7:30 turned on GM app and made some money doing my brother in law a favor. Ended with $85 that night for about 2 hrs of driving that I really didn't "plan." Living up in Cedar park, anytime I have to run into town for errands I turn on the app and try to get myself paid for mileage that I was already going to put on my car anyways.
Good advice teach.

Ziggy

Yep .... did this for 1st half of 2015 ... broke my knee in 2014 and spent 9 months in physical therapy rehab 3 days a week. Every time I left PT, I turned on Uber and most days got a trip within a few minutes; because I drove Select/Lux most trips were long enough to offset all the miles to the physical therapist's office. Since I was going to PT 3 days a week, after a while I started to see patterns as to which days/times yielded me trips or better trips ... eventually, I started rescheduling PT around the times that most often got me good trips. And a few of those pax are still regulars with me now. About the only time I don't turn on the app during errands is when I'm going grocery shopping ... but almost everything else is fair game

tcc83

You could do uber food delivery. I bet you might be able to scratch out enough in fares to eat a cup of microwaveable ramen for dinner.

Got this email: On each delivery trip you complete, you'll earn a $3 base fare + $1.40 per mile in gross fares.

What a scam this is. I refuse to ever drive for them again.

mungoshelves

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all so much for you input! It's incredibly helpful/valuable.

This is awesome advice; thanks a ton. However, I'm a bit confused by #2. Does Fare accept long-distance pings? I.e., I would get a ping from downtown or elsewhere even if I were in Lakeway?

As for the comments about income expectation: I'll be happy as long as I can consistently net minimum wage or above, which, based on my reading these forums for awhile, is doable with some strategy.

You could do uber food delivery. I bet you might be able to scratch out enough in fares to eat a cup of microwaveable ramen for dinner.

Got this email: On each delivery trip you complete, you'll earn a $3 base fare + $1.40 per mile in gross fares.

What a scam this is. I refuse to ever drive for them again.
Funny. In the same inbox refresh that showed your comment, I got an invite email from UberEats.

Ziggy

This is awesome advice; thanks a ton. However, I'm a bit confused by #2. Does Fare accept long-distance pings? I.e., I would get a ping from downtown or elsewhere even if I were in Lakeway?
Highly unlikely that you will get a long distance ping from Fare; unless you're the only car available - which is highly unlikely.

Jay Dean

This is somewhat irrelevant but going to post it just the same, My Honda Ruckus was stolen and found under the bridge next to the police station...the freakin police station, APD got it back to me in one day which was amazing..I thought it was gone forever..anyways I have always been hesitant about picking up on 7th street, and now I will never again, the risk is too high for some wacko/moron finding a cell phone, so if your a PAX and reading this and during the times 6th isn't barricaded please ping on 6th or 5th because who in their right mind will pick up next to the ARCH (area)

Ziggy

That's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg ... APD was hopeful that snagging a few AC drivers would prompt the rest to abandon the AC model and take up legal rideshare models ... however, as indicated by the people who got fined in the piece, they aren't slowing down any time soon. Based on the cavalier attitude of AC drivers, it likely will require more than a few tickets & impounds to get them to change their behavior

ATXAg

Disclaimer: This might fall under the "Duh, if you want to drive, you follow the laws" category

Question: Is everyone actively displaying the trade dress AND fingerprint approved sticker? I'm not pro and never will be. I'm a teacher who originally started driving to make some side cash in the evenings and on the weekends. As frivolous as it may sound, I'd rather not clutter my window with two giant stickers that really only need to be there for maybe 10 hours a week.

ATXAg

Also, what seems to be the trending app from a passenger perspective? For those running multiple apps, which gets pinged the most (I'm a standard car driver)?

Ziggy

Disclaimer: This might fall under the "Duh, if you want to drive, you follow the laws" category

Question: Is everyone actively displaying the trade dress AND fingerprint approved sticker? I'm not pro and never will be. I'm a teacher who originally started driving to make some side cash in the evenings and on the weekends. As frivolous as it may sound, I'd rather not clutter my window with two giant stickers that really only need to be there for maybe 10 hours a week.
I only display the fingerprint sticker full time; though in retrospect, I should have applied it to a piece of lexan and velcroed that to the window ... so I could remove it, if desired. That said, the trade dress I display when I am on a trip ... I have a velcro in the window and swap out the trade dress for the trip I am on. Like you I have no desire to have my window cluttered with a bunch of trade dress placards; though I have seen a few cars with 4+ trade dress signs taped to their windshields. *also working on an electronic trade dress that I can swap out the required trade dress via bluetooth connection with my phone ... though, currently, I have too many other things on my plate to finish that project.

Ziggy

Also, what seems to be the trending app from a passenger perspective? For those running multiple apps, which gets pinged the most (I'm a standard car driver)?
The 3 apps that trigger the most trips for me are: GetMe, Fasten, Fare
*I'm seeing all trips on all apps except Fare, which only shows me Premium SUV ... so maybe Fare would be in position 1 or 2 if I saw standard trips too.
InstaRyde is a bust ... had the app on for 48 hours only 1 standard ping